Poll: Do you think shows and tv shows such as these aim to exploit or promote?

What do people think of this? Exploiting or promoting?

I know this is a bit controversial, but I would like to keep this constructive. Do you find such projects exploit people stricken with this disability, or do you think it is a good thing, that it promotes their capabilities. Showing that they can take part in many of the same activities as you and i. Please take this poll seriously.

Dutch soap opera: "Downistie"

Norwegian film: "Detective Downs"

Why does it have to be one or the other?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not quite sure what to think of it, not sure if it would help if I could understand the language to know if it's being done in a normal tone or if there's any mockery in there... Although if it's normal, like any other show, I don't see the harm in it at all. I'm sure every person would prefer to see themselves represented in various media they enjoy, like tv, so I imagine it's a lot better than being hidden away as if people like them don't exist as part of society. Kind of follows along with reality shows in the U.S. featuring "little people," which probably does help the rest of society find some better acceptance and comfort with the idea of those "differences".

Quote Originally Posted by Hexidecimal View Post
    Why does it have to be one or the other?
    Good point. I guess it could be both.

I should have just asked if people thought this was a good thing or not.

The creator of the dutch show I believe had good intentions. I read that many people with down syndrome liked watching soap operas, so they figured why not let them make one. I hope nothing like this gets made just so people can get a laugh at their expense.

Though the film I believe is a comedy. The fella must know he is poking fun at himself and it's apart of the movie.

If there where no shows, movie or any other cultural content featuring people with disabilities, either physical is psychical. People would ask the same question but with the tables turned.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

15+ Year Old Account
    I think too many people equate people with downs syndrome as being incapable of being productive members of society.

"Detective Downs" sounds like it could be considered demeaning, but if the actor playing the role is ok with it, then I see nothing wrong with it.

I personally know 2 families with members that have downs syndrome, 1 is 17 and the other is 26. The 26 year old has his own apartment and job, he does need help with some things, but he takes care of 95% of his own needs.

The stereotype of people with downs syndrome having the mind of a 5 year old (very few are that developmentally delayed) needs to cast aside.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

Why should being disabled preclude being exploited? It's no big deal when "normal" people are exploited by the media. Why should they be any different?