Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So buying a new phone

I have the option to upgrade my phone with Verizon Wireless and I'm not really sure what I should get. I've been thinking about getting the Galaxy S4 for $200 because i'm a fan of Android and my sister's s4 looks really nice. However, I could buy an Iphone 5/5c for half the price, though i've never really been into Iphones. Any suggestions or general thoughts would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    $6 for a game made in 1993? If it was free then maybe I would buy it instead of pirating it.

Deleted
    So if you've never been into iPhones, why not simply get the S4? Or wait for the new Nexus.

The Nexus will not be coming to Verizon. The S4 is OK, but the HTC blows it out of the water. The LG G2 is amazing as well. I personally have the HTC One and love it, but I wouldn't mind trading it for a G2. I go through new phones every few months though, trade & profit generally.

Edit: the screen on the S4 LOOKS nice at first, but it's overly saturated and not a realistic representation. The HTC and LG's displays are some of the best out there. Spend some time looking at both, and take time making your decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    The Nexus will not be coming to Verizon. The S4 is OK, but the HTC blows it out of the water. The LG G2 is amazing as well. I personally have the HTC One and love it, but I wouldn't mind trading it for a G2.

The HTC and LG's displays are some of the best out there. Spend some time looking at both, and take time making your decision.
    HTC has pretty screens (my previous phone was an Incredible S), but other issues (sealed battery, no microSD, lack of accessories (<3 my lifeproof case on my S3), etc.) really count against them.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I am not a fan of the HTC stuff in the slightest (mainly since my current phone is an HTC and it's just garbage). I'm a big fan of the Samsung phones (Galaxy S and Notes) and would say go with the Galaxy S4, or hold off and get a Note 3 (if you love big phones) in October. I am a big fan of bigger phones so I personally would go with the Note 2 or wait for the 3 but it sounds like you're more into the smaller size so go with the S4. The tech, usability, and ability to get stuff for it is huge. IPhones are just older model Samsung phones!

Quote Originally Posted by Dekay View Post
    I have the option to upgrade my phone with Verizon Wireless and I'm not really sure what I should get. I've been thinking about getting the Galaxy S4 for $200 because i'm a fan of Android and my sister's s4 looks really nice. However, I could buy an Iphone 5/5c for half the price, though i've never really been into Iphones. Any suggestions or general thoughts would be appreciated.
    I am not sure about release date but the galaxy s5 has the same processor as the new iphone.
    Otherwise I would recommend the galaxy s4, I have it and can recommend it in an instant.

The battery on my One gives me zero issues with heavy use. I'm at about 15% at the end of a long day off the charger. With 64gb of storage, a MicroSD doesn't really mean much either. As far as accessories go, it's not like this is a rare or niche device. You won't find as many accessories as the S3, but they're still plenty of options.

As for lifeproof, well... I refuse to use a case on my phones. What's the point of getting something sleek and well designed if you're going to put an extra inch of bulk on it? That being said, I'm a bit OCD about my phones' condition, since when I trade them off, I like them to be flawless. Only dropped one phone in 5 years, sadly it shattered EVERYTHING on my Nexus 4.

Edit: The S5? You mean the one that'll be released in JUNE and specs arent even out for it yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't like iOS, don't get an iPhone.

That said, if I were buying a new phone right now, and budget were an issue, I'd be getting an iPhone 5/5C for sure. I'm a fan of iOS 7, and the 5C is pretty solid hardware for the price.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I have the S4. It's a super cool guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    The battery on my One gives me zero issues with heavy use. I'm at about 15% at the end of a long day off the charger. With 64gb of storage, a MicroSD doesn't really mean much either. As far as accessories go, it's not like this is a rare or niche device. You won't find as many accessories as the S3, but they're still plenty of options.

As for lifeproof, well... I refuse to use a case on my phones. What's the point of getting something sleek and well designed if you're going to put an extra inch of bulk on it?
    1. The price of onboard storage is rather steep compared to how much a microSD costs. A decent 32GB microSD is $25 (or $60-65 for a 64GB), compared to the $70-100 you'd pay to move from a 32GB One to a 64GB.

2. Relative to the S3/S4, it is fairly niche. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the S3 all by itself holds more market share than HTC's entire lineup.

3. I personally found the S3 to be entirely too thin to hold comfortably without a case to add a bit more bulk to it.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

S4, HTC One, Xperia Z

you really can't make a bad call from those three. i'd add in the nexus 5 as well, but you mentioned verizon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I Love my HTC One. Fastest and most stable Android I've had.

Try out an iPhone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in the same boat as you OP. Im not to big of a fan of apple iOS but I want something new. Bored of Android atm and want a new experience. So i'm going to get the iPhone 5 because its only $99 and is still really current and will last me till something new comes out that i really like.

I'd strongly recommend the GS4 Active. I think it's simply the best phone on the market.

Galaxy S4 is a pretty good phone aside from it feeling cheap (plastic) and the faults of the Android OS (not fully polished). The S4 screen is very bright and battery efficient. In addition, the phone is light and has a long battery life. One caveat: for some, the 5" screen in the 16:9 aspect ratio means the screen is too long for typing in the horizontal orientation.

If you're not attached to the Android OS and aren't a heavy app user, consider a Windows phone. Windows phones have lower specs (aside from camera) but the stock OS is more polished: better stock keyboard, Nokia HERE maps are downloadable, smoother OS experience, longer battery life due to the lightweight OS, and Outlook and Office integration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get an iphone, ios7 is pretty dang snazzy.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Galaxy S4 is a pretty good phone aside from it feeling cheap (plastic) and the faults of the Android OS (not fully polished). The S4 screen is very bright and battery efficient. In addition, the phone is light and has a long battery life. One caveat: for some, the 5" screen in the 16:9 aspect ratio means the screen is too long for typing in the horizontal orientation.

If you're not attached to the Android OS and aren't a heavy app user, consider a Windows phone. Windows phones have lower specs (aside from camera) but the stock OS is more polished: better stock keyboard, Nokia HERE maps are downloadable, smoother OS experience, longer battery life due to the lightweight OS, and Outlook and Office integration.
    You can change the OS on android phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Get an iphone, ios7 is pretty dang snazzy.
    That is most certainly is. I always preferred ios to ice cream baby cake whatever food item android is using.

Why not buy a Nexus outright, buy a SIM for an MVNO, and save $1000+ while at the same time getting a new up to date phone?