[Music] Katy Perry, a rip-off artist?

Did Katy Perry copy another artist with her new single?

Here is 'Brave' by Sara Bareilles, released a few months ago.

And here is Perry's new single, 'Roar.'

What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    We have a bunch of redneck yahoos that like to set them off in the cul de sac where I live, and 60% of their shit ends up in our yard or on our house. Not infracted
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocarbs View Post
    We have a bunch of obnoxious wetbacks that like to play their mariachi music where I live and nearly all their family ends up parking in our yard. Infracted

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    Did Katy Perry copy another artist with her new single?

Here is 'Brave' by Sara Bareilles, released a few months ago.

And here is Perry's new single, 'Roar.'

What do you think?
    I think you are clutching at straws, they are similar beats.. different timings, they are similar the same way most beats are similar. nothing to see

Deleted
    I guess she has writers and they needed inspiration. She is like the drake dude and nicki minaj, the kind of music I don't like, so i tend to avoid it. It's crap, "music" made for money... imo

Release dates really doesn't matter if you don't know when the songs were recorded or written. Perry's song might have been finished for several months. Most songs doesn't get released as soon as they are finished.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-09-19 at 09:29 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

They all are copying each other and old time highly popular artists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Katy Perry's song made me want to sing Eye of the Tiger for some reason
    Last edited by Orby; 2013-09-20 at 04:25 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    there are literally 1000's of songs by now that use similar chord progression. it just how music works. Different spin on same chords new lyrics, different messages = different songs. Using your comparisons every artists since 1900's is a rip off artist

10+ Year Old Account
    It's Pop music. What did you expect?

Not really anything new. California Gurls and Tik Tok are basically the same song. But at least there they had the excuse of being written by some of the same people.

Bareilles isn't bothered by the similarities (at least publicly).

10+ Year Old Account
    Similar tune, but I think there are enough differences between the two songs that I wouldn't consider it copying. There are much worst artists who are much guiltier and blatant about their copying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klorx View Post
    I guess she has writers and they needed inspiration. She is like the drake dude and nicki minaj, the kind of music I don't like, so i tend to avoid it. It's crap, "music" made for money... imo
    Music snobbery at it's finest. Let me guess, you read "insert your genre here" magazine and follow everything they say you can and can not like. Haha, so hypocritical.

"I hate that song I haven't heard yet by Nicki Minaj because I don't like Nicki Minaj".

I'm not a fan of hers, I was given her album and gave it away to a friend, but I do like a couple of her tracks for the fun factor. I would never deny myself guilty pleasures by enforcing stupid rules on what I can or can not listen to just because the artist has big breasts and calls her fans "barbies".

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Music snobbery at it's finest.
    Nah it's pretty well-established that music made specifically for making money lacks certain qualities you find in legitimate artists.

Playing a little fast and loose with the word "artist" aren't we?
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Nah it's pretty well-established that music made specifically for making money lacks certain qualities you find in legitimate artists.
    Yeah I kind of agree here, these 'mainstream' tracks that fly into the limelight, grab up a load of cash and then disappear quicker than you can say snap.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K