Is it necessary to hold the laptop fan in place while dusting with compressed air?

If so, how can I prevent the fan from spinning without opening the laptop up, thereby breaking the terms of the warrant?

Deleted
    toothpick or a earstickthingie

Quote Originally Posted by stekflott View Post
    toothpick or a earstickthingie
    So I should hold the fan in place?

Deleted
    Shouldn't be a problem if you use compressed air on a laptop fan, as long as you dont spam it, making the fan spin endlessly for a couple of minutes in the wrong direction, but if you want to be exta careful, as stekflott said, a toothpick, earthingy or even a needle works. If you can try to have someone help you holding one of the items while you throughly go through it with the air.

cotton bud may be the name your after

yea as above. just don't use full pressure. ease it off.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's sort of a catch-22. Holding it still prevents it from over-spinning, but sometimes you need it to spin to clear a particularly nasty fuzzball. Do it in spurts, so it doesnt spin -too- fast. Block it entirely to clear out the smaller stuff first.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

q-tip (aka cotton swab)?

Deleted
    aaand this is the reason I'm glad I'm 'allowed' to open up my laptop without voiding my warranty. Especially since keeping it dust free keeps makes it less likely to overheat and thus keeping the hardware alive longer. I've seen so many laptops which crawled or died because of this. It's so damn important to keep it clean, especially if they have decent power.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyandor View Post
    aaand this is the reason I'm glad I'm 'allowed' to open up my laptop without voiding my warranty. Especially since keeping it dust free keeps makes it less likely to overheat and thus keeping the hardware alive longer. I've seen so many laptops which crawled or died because of this. It's so damn important to keep it clean, especially if they have decent power.
    Which manufacturer?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Which manufacturer?
    Dell (XPS), which might sound strange to quite a few people. I also got quite good service from them in the past. I also generally like it that it comes with a booklet exactly describing how to replace parts + a disc with the OS if requested. There's also very little bloatware installed to boot when you get it.