Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should I start using protein powder?

Hello , first time making a post in this part of the forum.

I am 17 years old ,tall and moderately skinny.
    Since last year around this time I have been training athletics and became quite fond of sport.
    I train from 3-5 times a week for about an hour and a half to two hours.
    Now that the winter months are coming we're moving to the gym and starting strenght and endurance trainings, so i thought this would be the best time to bulk up a bit.

Since I am a rookie in this department I turn to the forum for some help, I know i can get all the proteins with a natural diet but I still live with my parents and I mostly eat what is served for lunch and dinner.

So to get back to the point would it be wise to use proteins ? Yes/No and why ?
    Thanks for your time and apologies for the grammar

If you're asking if you should use protein powder, the answer is usually yes. There's not really much of a downside, particularly if you choose a powder that's primarily protein with few other macros. I'm a skinny little runner/cyclist and I generally only lift one day a week, but I love a good protein shake after a good workout. Even if you're not shooting for hypertrophy at all, getting enough protein when you're breaking muscle tissue down in workouts is very, very helpful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you get enough protein through food?(1gram pr lbs)

If yes, you dont need protein powder

If no, you can supplement with protein powder or change your diet to contain more protein

Since you are 17years old I would assume that you are still living at home and it might be hard to change your diet, due to the simple fact that your parents are making all the meals. Still if you eat A LOT and lift A LOT you will get the muscles you are looking for.

I will last list some good sources of protein that you can supplement in addition to the food your parents are serving:

Eggs
    Milk
    Nuts
    Cold cut lean meat
    Tuna

These are all foods you can make into small snack-packs that can work as a supplement.

10+ Year Old Account
    thank you guys for all the information

Deleted
    I'd avoid any form of supplements personally and look at your diet. You should get everything you need from normal food if you eat properly for what you want to achieve.

Why dont you learn to cook (always a good skill to have anyway) and then you get to choose the meals! and your parents would probably appreciate it.

You only need supplementary things if you are going for really abnormal bulk, and that looks horrid anyway.

Cook more food. Help your parents. Get a job to pay for that food if your parents can't/won't budget for additional food.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    I'd avoid any form of supplements personally and look at your diet. You should get everything you need from normal food if you eat properly for what you want to achieve.
    Protein powder is more food than supplement. Protein is just another important macro-nutrient you get from your diet, and protein powders just provide that in more concentrated quantities. It doesn't alter your physiology in any way. It just serves as a more convenient way to hit a dietary requirement. Most protein powders aren't qualitatively supplements any more than a food like lean chicken breast is, beyond the fact that you get one off a shelf at GNC but not the other.

For OP, yeah, if you can afford it and aren't currently hitting more than 100 grams of protein daily, it'd definitely help.

Deleted
    Protein powder is a supplement, which means it is there to give your regular diet a boost, protein powder itself will be a waste of money unless you get your real diet perfected first. Hit your macro's with real food before considering supplements.

Deleted
    It's perfectly possible to bulk by diet alone. If you're able to eat enough lean protein, you have no need for supplements. Remember, just because you get more than your daily requirement of protein, you're by no means guaranteed that your body will do anything useful with it.

Basically, unless you're a 300+ pounder or don't have control over your meals, you can easily find your protein in chicken, tuna, good beef, etc. Eat well, eat often and work hard. Stay away from sugary items and things with too much oil (fried stuff).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    don't have control over your meals
    Thats one of the main reasons I wanted to use protein powder , I usually don't make my food

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    Protein powder is more food than supplement. Protein is just another important macro-nutrient you get from your diet, and protein powders just provide that in more concentrated quantities. It doesn't alter your physiology in any way. It just serves as a more convenient way to hit a dietary requirement. Most protein powders aren't qualitatively supplements any more than a food like lean chicken breast is, beyond the fact that you get one off a shelf at GNC but not the other.

For OP, yeah, if you can afford it and aren't currently hitting more than 100 grams of protein daily, it'd definitely help.
    IF you are not getting the necessary protein from your diet, then I'd look at that rather than take a supplement, there are probably other issues with your diet being bad as well that need fixing.

If you do use a protein powder, be careful what you use, dont take one with any crap in it. A whey protein powder is probably best, and make sure its got nothing added to it.

Deleted
    If you're sure that you get enough protein via your regular diet then protein powder is a waste of money.

If you're unsure then protein powder is a great supplement.

Drink alot more milk, there's about 32g protein in a liter, mainly whey and casein protein so it's great stuff tbh.

Before we hit the actual bodybuilding age, the normal advice was to "drink more milk to get big", and it does work tbh, and seems to be the easiest and most available source for you.

Since you're aiming to bulk, get all your protein from food and just eat and eat and lift and rest. Just remember no amount of protein will do you any good if you're still eating at a deficit. Eat at a surplus.
    10-20% over maintenance minimizes fat gains, aka clean bulk.
    Dirty bulk = eating whatever the phuck u want and not caring about fat gains.
    Just still remember to track protein at least. Shoot for 1g per pound of bodyweight and lift heavy at least 3x a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    IF you are not getting the necessary protein from your diet, then I'd look at that rather than take a supplement,
    One of the best uses of protein powders is to plug in gaps present in your diet.

If you want a shrinked penis: Yes
    Otherwise: No

Deleted
    yea protein powders are practically harmless . if you want to get your gains , normal food cant supply the amount of proteins per day you need without taking in alot of fats and toxins

Learn to cook some decent protein filled meals, Once you start living on your own, you want to stick to a decent diet. It will set you up for life if you eat well, and can cook for any ladies you have over (Or guys, if thats the way you are)

I know a lot of people that take protein for the sake of taking protein. I just eat a lot of nuts, chicken, meat, eggs etc and it works fine for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWilson View Post
    you have no ideea what your talking about

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWilson View Post
    Do you even know what protein powder is?