CC duration and DR in 5.4

So i have just spend 4 hours in arenas (2s) and there is two things that seem different to me, even i cant say it for sure:

1. I was never sitting in such long ccs (my feeling) like now...everything 8 sec, was it always like that?

2. What happened to DR? Did it change somehow? As mage/priest you can basicly alternate fear and polymorph and they are always 8 sec lol, say what? There was a time it felt quiet long until you could recast the same spell to get full duration again.

Its similar with the new holy palas: I had HoJ 4 sec, then full 8 sec Repentance, then full 6 sec Blinding Light and its all instant...how was that meant :O

The CC seems a thousand times worse but in my case what changed is that I don't die in a CC chain now. I just spend long sequences of time being a pinata, a quiet one, then at the end of 20, 30 seconds, whatever, I get to play the game again. Prior to 5.3/5.4 I didn't get to play until the rez guy got done.

It's better, but at the same time, it's worse.

Deleted
    Alright lets take this step by step...

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    1. I was never sitting in such long ccs (my feeling) like now...everything 8 sec, was it always like that?
    They changed nothing about the duration of ccs, the only change I can remember is the
    addition of 1 cc spell, TurnEvil (fear) talent that enables paladins to cast it on other players.
    So yes a part of the cc's are 8 seconds like they have been for years, fear/poly/hex/trap/blind/..

2. What happened to DR? Did it change somehow? As mage/priest you can basicly alternate fear and polymorph and they are always 8 sec lol, say what? There was a time it felt quiet long until you could recast the same spell to get full duration again.
    The DR timer is 15-18 sec, same as it was, priests can fear every +- 30 seconds and mages can spam polymorph.
    So yes a priest can fear you full (8sec) every 30sec and a mage can poly you full (8sec) every +-18 sec.
    But nothing new there.

Its similar with the new holy palas: I had HoJ 4 sec, then full 8 sec Repentance, then full 6 sec Blinding Light and its all instant...how was that meant :O
    Hoj is actually 6 sec duration and has a minute cooldown, the improved version with talent is fist of justice and has a 30 sec
    cooldown, but if you take that talent thn you cant have the fear from turnevil nor the repentance.
    Both repentance and blinding light have a cast time so you are wrong there aswell.
    Im not saying that I think its fine a paladin healer can have 3ccs on a different dr so he can chain someone for 20sec.
    I think its retarded actually. But both rep and blinding light have a cast time so you can stop them both if your teammate(s) pay attention.

My guess if you dont really know alot about pvp or dont play it often because your information is very wrong.
    On the other hand I do agree with your criticism , ccs are way out of control.
    In the past only a few classes / specs had any cc, now a single class/spec can have 3 on a different DR.... GG

CC always had long duration, barring the odd exception (e.g. iirc repentance lasted 6 sec at some point but is currently 8). Actually, it wasn't until Cataclysm that 8 sec CC became the maximum duration; before then your long-duration CCs would last 10 seconds. For that consideration alone, you're actually sitting shorter CCs than you would've in the past. However, there are other factors at work here that make CC the nightmare it currently is.

Most of the problem is simply that Blizzard added too many new CC abilities. Many of these trashy instant ~30 sec CD CCs didn't exist until Cataclysm or Pandaria. Rotating these alone can provide quite a bit of control uptime, but these abilities aren't just bad at face value--they're cover for the casted, longer-duration CCs. There was a time where you'd have to land (as an example) a clean polymorph and that's all there was to it. You'd have to deal with sw:d, kicks, grounding, reflect, etc. directly. Nowadays mages have access to pom poly, or they just cover with their weaker instant CCs like imp CS, deep, or dragon's breath to ensure their targets can't stop their cast.

On top of that, many CCs are too easy to land with respect to dot effects. Fear and hex now have such high break thresholds that they may as well be stuns, and abilities like poly, blind, and scatter can be glyphed to mindlessly wipe any effects that would break them upon application. Tack on Pandaria's 8 second cooldown to defensive dispels, and you'll find yourself hard-pressed to move your character without a lot of help from a competent ally.