Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Teachers teach academics not life situations.. They are not your baby sitters.
    This right here. Kids need to take responsibility for their actions.The reason they do some stupid stuff is because they are NOT held responsible. It is always someone else fault.

There are support services at school with people who SPECIALIZE and are trained to deal with kids emotional problems. Teachers are trained to....teach.
    Teachers can have an impact, but you are watching to many over dramatized tv shows if you believe it is some gigantic monumental shift teachers can bring into students lives.

You have 50 minutes for a class and like 30 students in a class. That is less then two minutes per student of allocated time.
    Good Luck transforming lives within that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by phenox View Post
    The other 4 have dropped out due to a drug called Molly.
    No, they dropped out because they're junkie morons. Let's be clear, the drug isn't responsible for their behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No, they dropped out because they're junkie morons. Let's be clear, the drug isn't responsible for their behavior.
    So let's see... it's not the drug's fault that they do drugs, it's because they're drug users?

What?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So let's see... it's not the drug's fault that they do drugs, it's because they're drug users?

What?
    I think you've interested in not understanding what I wrote. I don't find that interesting.

This is a poor parenting issue as much as it is a problem with anything else.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you've interested in not understanding what I wrote. I don't find that interesting.
    Oh I believe I'm quite clear on what you "meant" to say; that these individuals "addictive personalities" are what attached them to the drugs, and not the... you know, actual addictive or mind-altering qualities of the drugs themselves.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

If we're going to suggest 'solutions' to teen drug use (or drug use in general), we should probably start with education about drugs and their effects, instead of just telling kids to 'stay off drugs.' There's really nothing more generic or meaningless than filling a child's head with vague fears about drugs.

Maybe even provide safe places for people to go while they are on drugs.

Throwing people in jail and treating them like criminals is probably the least effective way of dealing with this 'problem.'

10+ Year Old Account
    5 people dropping out is alot? Guess school is different in Australia. By the final year of high school out of 200 people there was only about 50 left. And out of that 50 a bunch of us always took off everyday.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    I think more should be done regarding older people's tendency to think the next generation is in huge decline.

There is allready too much done. Prohibition is not the solution, we learned that from the states in the 30's, rigth ?
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    If we're going to suggest 'solutions' to teen drug use (or drug use in general), we should probably start with education about drugs and their effects, instead of just telling kids to 'stay off drugs.'
    That's kinda been done to death here in Sweden. Literally, every 2-3 years or so during my school time, we'd all have to gather in the cafeteria and listen to some ex-junkie who would spend 1 hour telling us what drugs do to you. We would also be shown pictures of what your teeth, lungs and liver look like after too much tobacco, alcohol, etc.

Honestly, I get why they do it, but the fourth time or so it feels kinda unnecessary. We all go in there going "Yeah, drugs are bad, WE KNOW!".
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

i think kids should be strapped into a chair at the age of 13, and then force fed educational stuff until they're 25. it'd make humanity into basic zombies, living only to work in the fields they were taught during their advanced 'classes'.

i just really hate teenagers, honestly.

Why do people always blame the parents or the teachers? The only person to blame is the person taking the drugs. Are you going to blame your parents for being addicted to smoking, gambling, booze, and sex as well?
    Last edited by Purlina; 2013-09-24 at 01:07 PM.

You're being pretty cryptic
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I think if you ask most people who were in their teens during 1970 - 1980, they'll laugh at how pale our teens are in comparison. Drugs, Sex, Alcohol & Violence were very strong during 1980 in particular, and while that doesn't diminish from the situation today, I feel the media and our ability to know about something 0.45 seconds after it happens has given us a darker view of our world then there really needs to be.

The fact is though, a lot of western education systems are afraid to approach the subjects and the result is experimentation that leads to abuse. Using the example of sex education, countries that have a lower rate of teen pregnancy also are the countries that tend to operate a more liberal, and more accepting policy towards sexual education.

The same I am sure can be said for Drugs, Alcohol and Abuse. The fact is, hiding something under the carpet and blaming everyone else is the issue here. Forcing parents to take responsibility for their own spawn is one of the things we really need to return too.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Why do people always blame the parents or the teachers? The only person to blame is the person taking the drugs. Are you going to blame your parents for being addicted to smoking, gambling, booze, and sex as well?
    Because the majority of the time (there are always exceptions), these individuals that get addicted to drugs had poor parents, be it abusive (mentally or physically), non existent, etc. If you don't think parents (or whoever is raising the child) are the most influential aspect of a child's life, you are mistaken. A good parent will teach their children between wrong and right, and build confidence so that they cannot be so easily swayed by bad influences. Once these children grow up to teenagers they already have a foundation and strong character. It doesn't mean they AREN'T going to drink or do drugs, but they have a much better chance of not falling down the rabbit hole compared to others who had no strong parental/support figure in their life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i think kids should be strapped into a chair at the age of 13, and then force fed educational stuff until they're 25. it'd make humanity into basic zombies, living only to work in the fields they were taught during their advanced 'classes'.

i just really hate teenagers, honestly.
    Hey man, that hurt my feelings

I guess i'll just leave then if i'm hated...

-

OT, I'm surprised some of the swedes here posted they had a druggie (ex) come into school and the like, would never happen in the U.K - Or at least, it never did for my school.

(Not saying it's a bad idea, far from it - I quite like it; But it just seems a little degrading to be seen and judged by other people to illustrate a point)

We were just taught during one of our all day school day events that drugs are bad and the shizzle - and remember to wear a condom while snorting a line...

Something like that.

And most people in enforcement consider soft drugs to be a gateway, that may be true insofar as dependencies and looking for something stronger - But i'd be of the opinion that despite the "War on drugs" they've never been more popular in the U.S...

I mean, most Americans coming over to Europe go to the land of hookers and puff amirite?

And due to the illegality of puff and the like in the U.S they go for other stuff, painkillers, syrup, glue, prescription meds - All rather more harmful than legal puff.

(I feel like a 10 year old now, constantly repeating "Puff")
    Last edited by mmoc1aca3196c5; 2013-09-24 at 02:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kids no matter where they are from need good role models. I was very lucky that I had great parents and a happy childhood, but several of my family members didn't. It would be hypocritical to say that I know this from experience but I am certain that having a good role model at a young age is at the heart of the matter. My family members and friends that have ended up using drugs, having out of wedlock teen pregnancy, committing crimes, and otherwise dying young have all had one thing in common. They where ignored/abandon as kids and never really had good role models. Unfortunately most of them I know wont ever change, its incredibly sad when you know a person who was otherwise a happy kid who you played/hung out with. Then in a matter of a few years they become unrecognizable. I also want to add that popular culture today is partly to blame, there seems to be no limits, no respect for anything nowadays.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.