Poll: what you think

[Other] Are spin offs the in thing right now?

alot of series are ending but theres also alot of spin offs. for both current and ending shows and a couple movies too.

breaking bad is getting a prequel spin off called better call saul

once upon a time is getting a prequel spin off called once upon a time in wonderland.

walking dead is getting a spin off about a different group of survivors not based on the comic books

dexter is getting an unannounced spin off

avengers is getting a spin off tv series agents of shield

arrow is going to get a spin off about the flash

EVEN WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS GETTING A SPIN OFF @_@ lookin at you hearthstone :P lol

anyways is it just me or is there a lot of spin offs coming out soon?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Because there comes a time in every series when the plot can't go any further so they have to go backwards?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't really call the Flash show a spinoff from Arrow. It's not like Flash is a Green Arrow character, he's a comic book hero in his own right (even if he IS kinda lame), with the success of Avengers, smallville, Arrow etc it's understandable they'd release more shows in the same mold. Remember all the cheesy buffy ripoff shows that came out when that was at it's peak, the the terrible wannabe Losts?

You also can't really call Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D a spin off, as (correct me if I'm wrong) a spin-off has to have at least one character from the original show/movie in it. Agents is more like a... Companion show, showing the side of shield that we don't see in The Avengers.

And tbh Spin-offs have always been an easy way to squeeze some more cash out of a successful franchise. Also I'd rather have nothing but spinoffs than hours of fucking reality TV and Talent shows...

p.s. semi related... but OMFG I can't taken Naveen Andrews seriously anymore after the Wonderland trailer. Whenever he says anything all I can think is "omfg omfg look at the PERM, I can't believe this is really a thing, in this day and age". it's magnificently shit, it's like something from an 80's rock bad. And I don't mean the good ones, I'm talking the REAL shite, like Warrant, W.A.S.P. and Dokken.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    You can't really call the Flash show a spinoff from Arrow. It's not like Flash is a Green Arrow character, he's a comic book hero in his own right (even if he IS kinda lame), with the success of Avengers, smallville, Arrow etc it's understandable they'd release more shows in the same mold. Remember all the cheesy buffy ripoff shows that came out when that was at it's peak, the the terrible wannabe Losts?

You also can't really call Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D a spin off, as (correct me if I'm wrong) a spin-off has to have at least one character from the original show/movie in it. Agents is more like a... Companion show, showing the side of shield that we don't see in The Avengers.

And tbh Spin-offs have always been an easy way to squeeze some more cash out of a successful franchise. Also I'd rather have nothing but spinoffs than hours of fucking reality TV and Talent shows...

p.s. semi related... but OMFG I can't taken Naveen Andrews seriously anymore after the Wonderland trailer. Whenever he says anything all I can think is "omfg omfg look at the PERM, I can't believe this is really a thing, in this day and age". it's magnificently shit, it's like something from an 80's rock bad. And I don't mean the good ones, I'm talking the REAL shite, like Warrant, W.A.S.P. and Dokken.
    well the flash show is going to be based off the flash who shows up in season 2 of arrow and if fans like his character he will get his own show. so its still a spin off of arrow since he will come out of that and the two will be connected.

the main reason im excited for wonderland is because of socha, im a huge fan of the original being human and loved him in that
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the main reason im excited for wonderland is because of socha, im a huge fan of the original being human and loved him in that
    Okay I conceed the Flash point then :P.

Also, I was going to skip Wonderland, but after watching a new trailer (mostly to glory in Sayid's amazing perm) I saw Socha... Now I kinda wanna watch, he was the best thing about the last 2 seasons of Being Human and an even better actress than his Misfit sister.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Okay I conceed the Flash point then :P.

Also, I was going to skip Wonderland, but after watching a new trailer (mostly to glory in Sayid's amazing perm) I saw Socha... Now I kinda wanna watch, he was the best thing about the last 2 seasons of Being Human and an even better actress than his Misfit sister.
    when they announced it and showed the trailer honestly the whole time i was like "okay this seems like a love story might be okay i guess ill watch it to find out if it connects... OH MY GOD ITS TOM @_@"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    when they announced it and showed the trailer honestly the whole time i was like "okay this seems like a love story might be okay i guess ill watch it to find out if it connects... OH MY GOD ITS TOM @_@"
    hahaha that was almost my exact reaction. TBH I probably wont watch it, I'd rather wait for his next show, or maybe watch reruns of Being Human.

I still say they should have put him in Misfits as a replacement for his sister when she got arreseted.

i dunno where you heard Dexter is getting a spin off. The IMDB message boards don't count. There is nothing to spin off about...i wish people would give it a rest haha.

15+ Year Old Account
    It depends what the spinoff is. Some can be good, most are bad. I don't like it when they just do spinoffs to milk something that was successful and then just butcher it.

The Breaking Bad spinoff could go that way, although I have a lot of faith in Bob Odenkirk and AMC for making something that's going to be compelling.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    breaking bad is getting a prequel spin off called better call saul
    I'll give this show a chance. Breaking bad has been exceptional this season and an all round pretty solid show. "Better Call Saul" could work, Saul is a great character. They just need a solid story.

walking dead is getting a spin off about a different group of survivors not based on the comic books
    I've got mixed feelings about this. A spin-off could work. Its a great world Kirkman has created and you can easily develop new stories in different areas. I do however feel the show has dropped off since Darabont departure. I really think he kept the show grounded.

avengers is getting a spin off tv series agents of shield
    arrow is going to get a spin off about the flash
    These 2 don't really count as spin-off. They are already apart of an expanded universe. It would be the same as saying the The Incredible Hulk was a spin-off of Ironman.

Either way. It does seem that a few spin off are coming. They are a pretty safe bet for a TV studio. Same as remakes or sequels are for film studies.

Is it the right thing to do?
    Well if the story fits and it gets people excited, then why not!
    Last edited by Feral Camel; 2013-09-24 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    i dunno where you heard Dexter is getting a spin off. The IMDB message boards don't count. There is nothing to spin off about...i wish people would give it a rest haha.
    because the ceo of showtime recently said that he wants to "keep the dexter franchise alive" a couple days ago at a party, and the showrunners of dexter have said that they are going to talk to showtime and decide on a spin off.

I can't wait for The Originals (Vampire Diaries spin off). Since Klause and Elijah were two of my favorite non-vagina having characters, this opens up more opportunities for eye candy (WB/CW likes casting hottie fodder).

I'm recording Agents of SHIELD tonight, I'm hoping it is good, as all Whedon stuff tends to be.

On network TV only 10 new shows got a new season in total. All the rest of them got cancelled due to low ratings. Similar to a thread about studios having a hard time creating new movies that aren't based on anything the same thing applies to TV as well. Why create a new show which may or may not work when you can do a spin off which has a built-in audience and has a better chance of taking off?