Thread: Purebred dog?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    To show you how smart, loving a lab is.

Never understood the point of wanting a "purebred" dog.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Not always. My girlfriends purebred yorkie has been to the vet 3 times this month. I adopted a "maltese" that is about 4 years old and is amazing. He is housebroken and perfectly well behaved and has only been to the vet for his vaccines..

Also, no matter what you are doing that dog a favor since you are probably saving it from death.

- - - Updated - - -

If you really want a prebred sure.. But unless you plan on breeding or doing shows, there really isn't a point.

- - - Updated - - -

No, no matter which way you do it, you are adopting the animal. It's more of deciding if you want to adopt the child from the rich parents or adopt the homeless child..

So not even close to the same concept.

- - - Updated - - -

You can adopt puppies too.. Then it's the same thing, it will all be based on you raise and train them.
    So, what you're suggesting is that a person who has never owned a dog, has health problems, is living with his parents who are worried about a troublesome dog, and is looking for an easy to handle first experience, should go out and adopt a dog who may or may not have deep seated issues.

I adopted my dog, I have a husky who was rescued from an abusive home, he is my best friend and I would never trade him for anything in a million years. If I were in the OP's position though, I would have gone with a more balanced first pet. Loki (my dog) is wonderful, friendly, protective, and well-mannered, but when we got him, he peed in the house all the time, nipped at you if you got too close, and scared any visitors we had. He's not malicious in any way, and nowadays (4 1/2 years later), he's the gentlest creature I know.

Just because adoption is saving a creature doesn't mean that people who aren't ready for it should jump in.

What you're suggesting is irresponsible and naive. Not everything you think is right is right for everyone.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

My whole family has always gotten dogs that are purebreds. Getting a dog is a longterm commitment, why would I skimp and get an animal rescue one?. Who knows where the dog came from, it could be inbred. Plus I dont want a dog that someone has mentally harmed, I dont need the burden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPussy View Post
    Never understood the point of wanting a "purebred" dog.
    Silly question. The answer is fairly obvious.

Personally I like adopting shelter/rescue dogs. I have never had any behavioral issues with them. It's all about how you raise them. But beyond that, and I'm surprised no one has said it yet...you said you have epilepsy. Have you looked into a service dog? That is a dog your mom would definitely not need to worry about jumping around and being crazy, they are trained to be wonderfully behaved. Cost is not always an issue. If you buy one outright, yes, but there are programs to help with that if you start looking into it. They are your pet and also quite helpful to those with medical conditions.

Here have some youtube.

I have thought about them before. But, my seizures (at the moment), don't cause loss of consciousness. If I have one (about once a day/every other), I have all my motor skills, but lose comprehension (I can't say anything or understand what someone is saying to me).

Just wanted to throw it out there as another option if it was something you hadn't looked into. Would never hurt to talk to your parents about it (assuming you haven't). You would get a dog, and it might make them feel safer (if it looks like your condition might be progressive) - you never know Just something to keep in mind as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    That's like saying it's always better to adopt a child than to have your own.. it's apples and oranges but it's the same concept.
    Its not like saying that at all. Humans are not pets

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the down side is that not only would a pure dog stand more of a chance to have breed inherent physical issues (that might lead to pricy health care or a lifetime of medication), but you'd also be paying a lot more to a breeder no doubt. Many, if not most, breeders, at least the credible ones, may also be involved in dog shows and consider people who will be showing them as their first choices for potential owners.

The dog we used to have did come from a breeder who was involved with shows. Being a non-show family the only reason we really even had a chance of getting one of the puppies was because he was the runt of the litter and didn't have a future with dog shows. But he still cost my sister a large part of an arm and a leg.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-09-26 at 05:41 AM.

I like dogs

I like dogs. In ffxiv arr, I am Arcanist and has a very cute pet who looks like a small dog.

Deleted
    There's really no such thing as a "pure breed" dog. They've all been crossbred, either in nature or by man. It's not like Labrador retrievers or Schaefers ever appeared naturally.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    It's a terrible idea if its your first dog, or you don't know how to handle and train a dog, shelter dogs will always have more issues than a puppy. If you aren't prepared to handle these issues do yourself and that dog a favor and don't get yourself in above your head.
    Sorry but this is just plain wrong. Some people will have way less problems with shelter dogs than with a puppy, especially if it's their first dog.

Some shelter dogs are properly trained and won't have any "issues" (I'd even say most of them don't have any major issue from my experience), whereas a puppy trained by an inept person will give him lots of problems. Lots of shelter dogs also have a complete background history available.

The biggest problem with shelter dogs is this "shelter dog = issues" myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    So, what you're suggesting is that a person who has never owned a dog, has health problems, is living with his parents who are worried about a troublesome dog, and is looking for an easy to handle first experience, should go out and adopt a dog who may or may not have deep seated issues.

I adopted my dog, I have a husky who was rescued from an abusive home, he is my best friend and I would never trade him for anything in a million years. If I were in the OP's position though, I would have gone with a more balanced first pet. Loki (my dog) is wonderful, friendly, protective, and well-mannered, but when we got him, he peed in the house all the time, nipped at you if you got too close, and scared any visitors we had. He's not malicious in any way, and nowadays (4 1/2 years later), he's the gentlest creature I know.

Just because adoption is saving a creature doesn't mean that people who aren't ready for it should jump in.

What you're suggesting is irresponsible and naive. Not everything you think is right is right for everyone.

You are being just as naive. Unless you know what your doing and have A LOT of time to put into raising a puppy they can end up with all sorts of behavior problems. The trouble is raising a puppy you don't know what the problems will be when the dog grows up. I'd recommend going to a good pound, one that will let you trial a dog for a week or two. That will allow you to check for behaviors and if the dog fits into your household.