Thread: Parry vs dodge

Parry vs dodge

I've seen the illustrious AMR recommending parry and dodge gems and I've seen a lot of popular warrior tanks and friends clearly leaning heavy parry. I understand there is a diminishing returns on each one that is different from the other. Can someone put this into perspective? I've read ratios and preferences but I was hoping for marginally concrete data..

10+ Year Old Account
    Run this in a macro, it gives the proper percentage.

/run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 b=5.01 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end if UnitRace("player")=="Night Elf" then b=b+2 end p=235.5*d/90.6425-((235.5/90.6425)*b-n) DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry: "..string.format("%.2f",p))

That percentage is one side of the coin - the other is Hold the Line procs which then favors simply ignoring the DR (which ends up being .x% anyway) for the sake of dps.

You can either maximize your avoidance by somehow balancing Dodge/Parry rating (here's a spreadsheet for this) or you can have a small dps boost by going full Parry.
    The difference between the two builds is very small, like <1% Avoidance and <2% dps, so it really doesn't matter that much.

I gem for Parry because it's easier to do so than to balance Dodge/Parry.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should keep both stats around the same ratings, while slightly favoring parry for 'Hold the Line'.

I've got about 9'500 dodge rating and 10'000 parry rating now with 546 item level. Furthermore I think parry is on DR now above 30%, but still getting enough benefit out of it.

@ Senen: Aww come on, it's not difficult. Besides that it's the most efficient way to delay the dr on parry as long as possible.
    Red: Parry
    Yellow: Dodge
    Blue: exp/stam or parry/stam

Anyone knows when we get dr on parry and dodge? I've got a feeling that for parry it's somewhere between 30 and 33%.
    I've got 32% parry now and when I gemmed my T16 chest with 3x parry it seemed I've got a little bit less parry for each gem.
    It's still viable imo but just curious. Perhaps I'll have to test this in the days to come.
    We are as God intended. Fallible, yet capable of great things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippo89 View Post
    Anyone knows when we get dr on parry and dodge?
    DR doesn't work like that.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    DR doesn't work like that.....
    I was pretty sure that once you reached XX% of let's say parry, you no longer get - as example - 0.47% parry out of 320 rating, but instead 0.44%.
    And this increases the more you get.

And if you seemingly know it does not work like that, perhaps you should explain then, Sir?

Edit: even the ingame tooltips says something like that in grey letters.. That's why I assume as above :P
    Last edited by Pippo89; 2013-09-26 at 12:20 PM.

If you set the weights on AMR to be equal for parry/dodge the optimizer will balance them according to the DR ratios as a last step after the rest of the optimization.

Deleted
    And if you seemingly know it does not work like that, perhaps you should explain then, Sir?
    You always have DR on both dodge and parry, at all ratings. It's just heavier on dodge.
    Senen linked the spreadsheet, check it out. Link!

Here is picture showing ideal parry/dodge ratio. Link!

Deleted
    I was pretty sure that once you reached XX% of let's say parry, you no longer get - as example - 0.47% parry out of 320 rating, but instead 0.44%.
    And this increases the more you get.

Edit: even the ingame tooltips says something like that in grey letters.. That's why I assume as above :P
    DR does not "switch on" at a certain point - for all rating beyond 1, each point produces slightly less absolute change in the percentage value. However, it is, approximately, an exponential curve - the absolute avoidance percentage loss per point increases the more points you have. There is a gradual trend towards being noticable, but not a value at which suddenly it goes from not being there to being there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah alright, thanks to santa666 and Cilarith. That's what I call a helpful answer (yeah Nillo I'm pointing at you :P)