LFR as scenarios?

Rift has these things called Chronicles, which are essentially solo (or 2man) version of raids, kind of. They're not the exact mechanics, but they take place in the same raid and have generally the same bosses.

A lot of people who can't raid run LFR to see content, be it story content or just doing the boss. What if, instead of an easy 25man, they made LFR just a scenario or a 5man? Basically take the raid instance and change the encounters to work for a 5man or a scenario? That way people get to see the instance, see the story, see the bosses (kind of), and we don't get a lot of the trolling and nastiness of LFRs.

I just find LFR right now to be full of toxic people, while things like scenarios or 5mans tend to be more relaxed and not so filled with trolls. You'd still get to see the content, it just wouldn't exactly be a raid with lots of people.

This would be freaking awesome.

that actually sounds good to me kind of, but only if the looting style was like heroics or different from LFR and keep the weekly lock out. This way if u wanted to do this version with a group of 4 other friends from IRL u can all group together and knock it out if you ur group wanted to c the story. If they did it like this tho the gear from it would have to be lower than the raid imo

Deleted
    Totally dig that idea. Ill take all that would shut my gm's mouth sayin I should run LFR because of the Tier bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like it too honestly. I'd be fine if the loot and everything else was handled as a scenario though. Unfortunately, my personal take on how this would be received by a lot of others would be a huge thumbs down because "it would be pointless if it didn't award high enough gear", yada, yada, yada.

Yeah, I'm a little sour on just about everyone who apparently can't be bothered to play the game for the simple fun of doing so. A lot sour actually. The one thing about not really playing for gear any longer is that it's easy to see how the drive to have everything be a part of character progression sucks the fun and life out of the game.

Meh. I've been playing a lot lately with pet battles and having tons of fun. Which is more than I can say for raiding although I'm looking forward to our guild getting into flex.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Yeah, not sure how I'd handle the loot. Would feel weird getting tier gear out of a scenario, but they'd probably keep that

I proposed an idea awhile back that raids could have an optional solo aspect. Where you control a small army of NPC's, maybe assign roles, and so on. You wouldn't have to deal with the horrible community, just you, in a "raid" controlling some NPCs as their leader. The loot wouldn't/couldn't be as high quality of gear as raids, but maybe at least look like the gear...perhaps only used for transmog purposes.

This would be an optional solo mode for people that really really really cannot stand having to deal with other people (be them toxic or not). For those that love dealing with people...well the game is still an MMO so go do your LFRs etc.

No thanks.

You have to understand what LFR actually is and does, it's pretty much straight up made for gearing up alts and a lot of alts at the same time. While this is tertiary to allowing folks to see content they might not otherwise be allowed to it's pretty darn important still.

In a dungeon you'd just gear up: 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps.

In LFR 25 you gear up: 2 tanks, 5 healers, 18 dps.

So you double the number of tanks gearing up, 5x the healers and 5x the dps. It's just better math and now with FLEX fits into what I'd just call a "Diablo" raid hierarchy.

New player or returning player trying to gear up, guildless. Hit's LFR and after a few weeks, maybe not even that long, suddenly has a viable raid set.

Player now sees a guild broadcasting for a FLEX raid. The raid turns out to not be run by a jackwagon, maybe it's put together by a friend from LFR, who knows? Either way, they get in and maybe they need some coaching, maybe they do really well, maybe they just get on vent and are the funniest person ever. (Apparently Louis C.K. now plays WoW in this scenario.)

Player now has a guild invite, they join up. The guild maybe does some more FLEX but eventually has a stable enough roster to get into 10s and maybe even 25s. Player now has a social connection and responsibility to other players, keeps subscribing because now they have friends.

The Diablo equivalent would go something like:
    LFR = Normal
    Flex = Hard
    Raid = Hell
    Hard-Mode = Inferno

Anyway, it's just not really worth it to swap LFR to 5-mans.

If you do a 5 man you might as well just call it a dungeon that gives you bad raid gear. No thanks.

Its suppose to be about tasting the raid scene, not tasting a 5 man scene that gives better loot than a 5 man dungeon.

It could work if it was a 10 man raid (as 10 man is a raid) but that means the same amount of tanks (2) and more parties which means longer queue times. 10 man raids would make it easier to tell who is doing their part as a dps would be one of 6 rather than hiding as 1 of 17. Two healers would mean no healer would have 'There was no one to heal because these other 5 healers were overhealing' escuses for being afk. It would also end dps queueing as Healers.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2013-09-26 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If you do a 5 man you might as well just call it a dungeon that gives you bad raid gear. No thanks.

Its suppose to be about tasting the raid scene, not tasting a 5 man scene that gives better loot than a 5 man dungeon.

It could work if it was a 10 man raid (as 10 man is a raid) but that means the same amount of tanks (2) and more parties which means longer queue times. 10 man raids would make it easier to tell who is doing their part as a dps would be one of 6 rather than hiding as 1 of 17. Two healers would mean no healer would have 'There was no one to heal because these other 5 healers were overhealing'. It would also end dps queueing as Healers.
    People AFK-ing and yelling at each other and skipping mechanics isn't really a taste of any raid scene. Well, except a taste of how bad raid teams raid.

I thought about making LFR into 10mans, since that'd probably be better than 25man, but that'd raise queue times too much

The difference is that in Rift they're just for people to get additional lore about each new raid, it's never assumed they're for anything but storytelling and a little bit of badges for gear, but Blizzard uses LFR as a means for players to gear up.

I wouldn't mind this idea as a "story mode" version of raids and things with smaller rewards that exists parallel to everything else, LFR remains as it is, and this is just a thing that exists for people who want to play and enjoy the story with fewer people/friends only/whatever.

Blizzard would never do it, though.

They need to make LFR use FLEX technology so you can do it with any number of people between 2 and 5 IMO
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

10+ Year Old Account
    What about healers? >.< I don't need yet another reason to roll dps over healer >.<

Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    People AFK-ing and yelling at each other and skipping mechanics isn't really a taste of any raid scene. Well, except a taste of how bad raid teams raid.

I thought about making LFR into 10mans, since that'd probably be better than 25man, but that'd raise queue times too much
    Then explain to me how having 2 teams with 1 tank, 1 healer and 3 dps is better for queues than 1 team with 2 tanks, 2 healers and 6 dps... If queue times are the sticking point then 5 mans are no better than 10 mans.

And in defence of LFR, its not LFR that is the problem in LFR, its the shitty players who take something that could be nice and smear crap all over it for no other reason than 'just because they can'. Don't blame the game, blame the playah!

LFR is fine. All it really needs IMO is a built in voice system to more easily relay strategy and what not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercos View Post
    LFR is fine. All it really needs IMO is a built in voice system to more easily relay strategy and what not.
    Oh hell no. You want to give the flamers and trolls free reign to do their business over voice?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercos View Post
    The game already has that, had it since TBC. It's...rarely used.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Then explain to me how having 2 teams with 1 tank, 1 healer and 3 dps is better for queues than 1 team with 2 tanks, 2 healers and 6 dps... If queue times are the sticking point then 5 mans are no better than 10 mans.

And in defence of LFR, its not LFR that is the problem in LFR, its the shitty players who take something that could be nice and smear crap all over it for no other reason than 'just because they can'. Don't blame the game, blame the playah!
    Hence why the topic title is "LFR as scenarios"

Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    Oh hell no. You want to give the flamers and trolls free reign to do their business over voice?
    Worth it for better communication. There is always going to be a few turds in the punch bowl, whether its by voice or text.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    The game already has that, had it since TBC. It's...rarely used.
    Nobody uses it because it is terrible. It needs a massive upgrade.