Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    What new options would a Christian have that you haven't listed here? I'm pretty sure they're either right or wrong in exactly the same way.
    We are either right, or we never know that we were wrong. That's just the way it works.

Yeah! What's up wit dat!?

-.-

"It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

Boy, this forum is easily trolled. I mean, "endangered feces"? Really? Who is buying this crap?

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Yes, I find life quite depressing in and of itself. Meaningless, meaningless.
    It's not meaningless. We make our own meaning. People looking for others - God, society, a social structure - to define meaning in their lives are being astonishingly lazy about it.

When we marvel at people who lived "full lives", what we're really marveling at is how meaningful THEY MADE IT and every second of it.

A life where the person living it can define its meaning is an opportunity. A life where meaning is defined FOR a person is a task that they must execute like a computer program. I know what life I'd rather live...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post

-.-

Please tell me that isn't real. Please.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Nobody will ever really know if atheist are right, but if Christians are right then everyone will eventually know. Must be fun to be an atheist, when the only two options are either never having your beliefs confirmed or to be completely wrong. It would seem depressing to me, not having any hope.
    if they're right i'd still prefer going to hell with a lot of nice and intelligent people than living in a sky-garden with a sociopath mass-murderer dictator, it's a win/win

Firstly, Im going to go with op being an elaborate troll, but I'll answer regardless. I'll clarify that I am an agnostic who was raised a devout catholic.

A) do not put christians in the same bucket as you, these are your personal views. Christians do not 'know' they believe or have faith and hope that what they are told is true.

B) Heaven and Hell have never been proven to exist, nor has any kind of deity.

C) This heat death you speak of, will only count for our solar system, within the universe new stars are always being created, so there is no reason why in around 5 billion years (current estimate for sun death) our race hasn't already evolved to get to another area in the universe, they need only to get to another solar system that allows life to inhabit.

D) The theories of the universe regarding its 'death' tend to be as follows 1. The universe will continue to expand for infinity. 2. Gravity will eventually in many billions of years pull everything in the universe back into itself. 3. There are multiverses 4. This is not the first/ won't be the last universe in existence.

E) To follow a God and a religion is to live without reason, everything that happens you can just put it down to being a 'test' or God's way. Many Christians I have met have never critically analysed their live and their existence they just follow the one book.

F) I left Catholicism for two reasons a) it's barbaric history filled with hypocrisy b) None of it made sense, to me the bible is a good story book for morals but nothing more. I still believe that there may be a God purely because there is no conclusive proof either way.

G) This whole hope thing and believing in an afterlife is essentially a result of human arrogance. We cannot perceive that we are nothing in comparison to the universe, just a bunch of atoms that happened to come together by chance. I don't have to have religion for me to live what would be perceived a morally good life both from a religious standpoint and a general standpoint. As Pope Francis has stated, atheists can get into heaven.

Not to mention if someone is raised in the church they are 'blackmailed' into behaving with the idea of hell, religion should not be pushed on people who cannot even reason what they are being told. Anyone who tells a child they are going to hell before they can critically analyse it (so below 7/8) is essentially committing psychological child abuse in the same light as the late Christopher Hitchens view.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    LOL, it's on an Atheist Facebook page I liked. It's obviously satire.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

Deleted
    We Christians know that eventually, God will destroy the planet and replace it with a new Heaven and a new Earth. We, of course, will continue to exist for all time with God and Jesus

mistaking belief for knowledge of the future paired with a fuckin fear of death. stopped reading there.

we love life, as it is. ups and downs. heartbeat is like that too. a streight line means death. music is also like that, its waves of up and down in different frequency and amplitude! we like to love, we like to breathe, we like to fight, we like life as it is. amor fati - as nietzsche said (and no nietzsche is not a nihilistic person) we live life as it comes, and we take the end of it as it comes.

life isnt worth more because its lasting forever somehow or somewhere, something is NOT in vain, just because it ends! most things indeed gain their value in life because they are short and intense and individual and never come back same twice. as orgasms for example. - thats what keeps me up.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not meaningless. We make our own meaning. People looking for others - God, society, a social structure - to define meaning in their lives are being astonishingly lazy about it.

When we marvel at people who lived "full lives", what we're really marveling at is how meaningful THEY MADE IT and every second of it.

A life where the person living it can define its meaning is an opportunity. A life where meaning is defined FOR a person is a task that they must execute like a computer program. I know what life I'd rather live...

- - - Updated - - -

Would you really be that shocked if it were?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblecrush View Post
    Atheists believe that the universe is slowly and inexorably spreading out and cooling off, and that eventually it will suffer "heat death". All planets will be dead, all stars will burn out, and nothing will live.
    A little confusion here. Being an atheist means a person doesn't believe in a magical, all powerful, all knowing being that created the universe. It has nothing to do with believing or not in any scientific explanation for the creation/existence of the universe.

Secondly, that "heat death" theory is just that, a theory. And its wrong by the way. Energy is converted to matter, matter converted to energy. Nothing is lost and therefore if it ever gets 'too cold' we can simply use fission/fusion to warm stuff up again. I'm more convinced that at some point the universe will stop expanding and the gravitational pull of stars and planets will make it contract resulting in a "big crunch".

Back on topic : Just because I KNOW that I will eventually die doesn't mean I should just shoot myself right now. The same applies for the universe, while it might eventually end that doesn't mean I should just throw my (very short) time in it away.

-.-

HA xD unable to spell atheists and not realising what a star is xD this is one of the best pictures i saw in a while xD
    shows how some cristians are xD (ofc not all cristians cus not a single cristian agrees with another one)
    There is really no reason to get mad in a discussion. Unless u dont understand basic logic then rage away

You find something like this shocking?

Stimulation is what drives our bodies, and that's what brings me out of the bed in the morning :-)

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, to be fair, Atheists don't believe in god, that's it, that's really the only thing Atheists have in common with each other. Whatever else they believe is different for each person. Do I, as an Atheists, believe in the eventual heat death of the universe? Honestly, neither I, nor anybody else, has nearly enough information to even guess where the universe is going, or when and if it will end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblecrush View Post
    We Christians know that eventually, God will destroy the planet and replace it with a new Heaven and a new Earth. We, of course, will continue to exist for all time with God and Jesus.

Atheists believe that the universe is slowly and inexorably spreading out and cooling off, and that eventually it will suffer "heat death". All planets will be dead, all stars will burn out, and nothing will live.

So, when Christians write books and make music and build things, we do it knowing that we will influence current and future generations who will carry our ideas into Heaven for eternity. Atheists know that everything they create, no matter how beautiful or profound, will eventually cease to exist. Even a book popular for thousands of years, like Plato's Republic, will someday be forgotten; even if a copy survives for billions of years, locked in the frozen core of a dead world, there will be none to read it. Ever.

So what encourages atheists to get out of bed in the morning? And why do they all seem to worry about "endangered feces" and "historic preservation"?

I don't get it. At all.
    I love the fact that nothing you mentioned is Christian beliefs

Let's not get into a semantics argument. Life can be nice while it lasts, but from an atheist's perspective it is nothing once its over. Everything you did in your life. You don't remember it, you don't feel anything, nothing. It's like a dream that we have in the middle of the night, no matter how wonderful it is we won't remember it when its over, when we wake up, it won't matter if it ever happened and it won't matter that you felt it when it did happen. There is no meaning to anything because there is no goal to achieve. Defining your own goals is really nothing more than settling for failure and hopelessness. It is pretty much making a game plan that definitely ends in failure, but you just don't care.

You know because a book told you? Atheists look at logic and reason over anything else. Science is a big part of it and it basically proves that things that that can happen.

You do not need the Bible to justify love, but no better tool has been invented to justify hate.

You know because a book told you? Atheists look at logic and reason over anything else. Science is a big part of it and it basically proves that things that that can happen.

You do not need the Bible to justify love, but no better tool has been invented to justify hate.
    Stop acting like any and all science contradicts the Bible, and stop pretending that the Bible teaches hatred. You would be wrong on both counts.

No offence, but "You Christian's" know nothing. Not saying anyone else does but you just don't. I wake up every morning because I like my life, seeing your family, going to school/work etc. Waiting for your new smartphone to arrive... it's all reasons people have to wake up in the morning. No one needs to promise you an afterlife to keep living.
    Playing since 2007.

You talk about heat death as if you are going to be around to rub peoples faces in it, that you were right or something.

When/if that occurs, every single member of our species will be hydrogen and helium and various other types of atoms drifting in space. Who really cares about what's going to be happening billions and billions of years from now? I'm more concerned about the NOW, and what will become NOW not too long from now. I'm not even an atheist, and i'm sick and tired of hearing both sides arguing. You're both part of different religions that can't answer their own questions. The only difference between you guys is that you believe in one or more gods, or fewer. Get over it already.