What exactly makes my GPU hot when playing games

I have a 560TI and I noticed that different games push it harder than others. Why? For example, a cheap little indie game that I just purchased pushes my GPU to 80c which I think is pretty hot. While FF14 which is graphically superior only pushes my card from 55c-60c which I consider normal. Can someone explain to me why that is? Like why a high graphical game runs lower temps than a game with minecraft like graphics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Optimization.
    Gaming Rig: CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz | CPU Cooler: H100i | Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz |GPU: GTX 780 | PSU: Corsair TX750M | Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker | SSD1 (Boot drive): 120GB Kingston | SSD2: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Black) | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Razer Tiamat 7.1 | Monitor: LG IPS234 (1920x1080)

Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    Optimization.
    Pretty much this. Also, games like Minecraft have to render an immense amount of individual objects (depending on what your level looks like of course).

My 560ti never runs higher than 55, wow on max takes less effort than D3 on low it seems though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    My 560ti never runs higher than 55, wow on max takes less effort than D3 on low it seems though.
    Water cooled? I don't have my system water cooled. If not, may I ask how many fans you have and what case? I have a HAF 912 with 3 intake fans (2 in front, 1 on the side) and 3 exhaust fans (2 on the top and 1 on the back) My idle temp when just searching the web is 30c.. So when I play games, it gets pretty hot.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2013-09-28 at 04:41 PM.

Check if said indie game has a vsync or frame limiter option and if not set it in the nvidia control panel.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Final fantasy takes my card to the highest I have recorded to this day, which is 75C. That is with Vsync on and the high desktop preset with FXAA on.
    Intel i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz | 8gb 1600 MHz DDR3 Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 670 SC | ASUS Z77V LK | Seagate Berracuda 2TB
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ymeimei/simple

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    For example, a cheap little indie game that I just purchased pushes my GPU to 80c which I think is pretty hot. While FF14 which is graphically superior only pushes my card from 55c-60c which I consider normal. Can someone explain to me why that is? Like why a high graphical game runs lower temps than a game with minecraft like graphics?
    99% certainly vsync. The Indie game runs at uncapped framerate while FFXIV is locked to vsync.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

WoW heats up my 580gtx(evga stock speeds) as much as Crysis, Battlefield 3, skyrim, tomb raider(2013) do but looks much more primitive. I think it has to do with the vast size of the game world being rendered. Keeping VSYNC on i get 60fps(some places 250fps vsync off). Using 50% of my gpu processing power. But still manages to run up too 60c. Using MSI Afterburner I 'overclocked' the gpu fan so it runs at 80% all the time. Like others have said dont worry to much about temps below 90c. People have fixed gfx cards that have bad solder points by sticking the card in a oven at 150f (65c) to re-melt the solder. It dose nothing to the actual gpu processor.

If your GPU starts to over heat it will ramp up the fan and start to sound like a hair dryer. If it keeps heating up after that and you start to see artifacts like random triangles(gpu overheating reporting wrong triangle coordinate numbers) or static looking random colors(Vram over heating causing bad color values) then just exit the game and let the gpu cool down. The card might also cause the computer shut down if it gets too hot. Worry less about the game your playing and more about the dust in the case. Also some cards just run stupidly hot no matter what your playing. Geforce FX 5900TI or Geforce 7900gt. I have had both of those cards and both died a early death. My geforece 420, 5200fx, 6600gt, 460gtx, 580gtx all have run fine.
    Intel Core i5 2500 quad core
    8gb ddr3 ram
    ASUS SABERTOOTH SLI motherboard
    Geforce 580gtx
    Corsiar Force3 120gig SSD (boot drive + WoW install)
    WD 400gb hdd

You should try Furmark lol.

FF14 Final Fantasy 14 right? Well I tried that benchmark months months ago and I didnt see anything except a cpu bottleneck on my 2600K back then. Even with a huge OC, still a cpu bottleneck all because of horrible optimization no wonder the GPU would never reach its max load. Since that game is an MMO (not totally sure), the cpu bottlenecking will be bigger than in a benchmark really and obviously lower gpu loads.

A gpu on a load of 50% would never run as hot as a GPU at 99% load, period. Minecraft 2 with a 560ti it's easy to get that GPU to 99% or that indie game. Also use vsync, it's kinda obvious you don't use it in your games since Minecraft 2 pushes your gpu to 99%. Don't understand why people just disable this really, yes it caused a lot of issues etc but something like adaptive vsync doesnt cause any issues and works perfect.