Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I need an unbiased review of the iphone 5C

Hello MMO-C!

I am in the market for a new phone, I've been using a hand-me-down flip screen phone with a keyboard for years and the speaker has died on it so it's about time for an upgrade. Originally I was hoping to get the iphone 5, but after going to my local Verizon store and calling around, it seems they are discontinued and not in stock anywhere. The 5s is a bit out of my price range and I'm not too keen on the plastic shell of the 5C.

I've watched several video reviews but they all seem to be very biased and seem more of a sales pitch than an actual review.

So if anyone has a 5C could you talk about what you like and don't like? Is it worth the $100 price tag with upgrade?

I've looked at the Droid as well and I don't really like the button placement or the interface (I know the OS7 has many features stolen from droid but after playing with both I still like the iphone interface better)

This would be my first smartphone and I am leaning towards apple because my gf has one and the imessaging would be a nice feature.

So MMO-C, what do you think? Is the 5C worth it or is the price jump to the 5S a better option?
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Piece of plastic Steve Jobs crap.

I'd tell you to buy Nokia but Stephen Elop just finished his long con, destroyed Nokia and sold it to Microsoft for a cash out of tens of millions. I've lost faith in phones completely.

Good luck lol with all of the apple haters. I'm getting a 5s for my second phone and no I'm not a "isheep" I currently have an android lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a fan of Apple's business ethics either but I really need a new phone.

Let me reiterate, I have had a "stupid" phone for about 6 years, I'm not a bandwagoner that is quick to switch to the latest and "greatest" thing on the market.

I am only upgrading because quite simply, my phone is broken. ~$100 is all I can really spend. I will use another hand-me-down stupid phone if I can find one but a smartphone would be a nice luxury.

I really hate Apple's marketing, I don't see the 5C as trendy or innovative, it looks like a way to cut corners and make more money. I want a phone that performs well for the price, asethics aren't huge, I prefer functionality but at the same time I don't want to support a company releasing plastic crap as a fashion statement...

Deleted
    Can't give you unbiased, but in my opinion the Iphone's are overexpensive brandmerchandise that are made to be replaced every year.

You can buy 2 decend smartphone's for half the price of a new Iphone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your post Synthaxx, I'll do a bit more research into the Andriod phones that are available to me. I'm simply a consumer so the development flexibility isn't huge for me, but my neighbor really likes his droid (he upgraded from an iphone a while ago and is happy with the decision).

Jfmc, I have no plans on upgrading yearly. I believe that desire is all due to marketing and unless the hardware on my phone breaks I plan to keep it until it's a paper weight. I HATE planned obsolescence and I refuse to buy into the clever marketing and "trendyness" of it.

iPhone 5c has the exact same hardware as the iPhone 5 just that it's in a plastic case. The 5s on the other hand has a 64bit processor and according to benchmarks is 2x faster than the iPhone 5/c. If you want to get an iPhone the 5s is the only real option because the 5c is just the same as the old one and the 5s is twice as fast for only 100$ more.

I don't like Apple products because I had bad experiences with their support and with the premium pricetag that's unacceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    lordjust, I looked up some benchmarks and you're totally right. The 5s looks to be the best on the market (or at least the best of all the phones tested by this site, tbh I don't know all the phones that are out there today)

And one of my major reservations over the 5c is the plastic case, I feel like I should get a better bang for my buck. As Synthaxx said, it should have more class.

Source: (this source may be biased, I haven't done enough research to be certain)

http://www.macworld.com/article/2049...-the-hype.html

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Can't give you unbiased, but in my opinion the Iphone's are overexpensive brandmerchandise that are made to be replaced every year.

Even though I'm not an apple lover where are people getting this overpriced stuff from? Where I live a S4 and a 5s cost the same amount.....
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

I'm still using my iPhone 3GS, I switched to Nokia back in January and hated windows 8phone. When it got ran over by a car I went back to my 3GS and have happy with it. If the 5c is anything like the 3GS, I can't imagine it being bad.

The 3GS is plastic cased and I have had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Piece of plastic Steve Jobs crap.

This is what you call unbiased?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post

iphone 5s has some of the highest bencemark scores... oh and it's abou the same price to cheaper than the galaxy.

They were made to be replaced?! Actually there was talk about how reliable the older phones are ( the 4) that have been around for a while now and yet keep working. It puts a bit of a dent in apples wallet since they're not breaking down.

- - - Updated - - -

Now the iphone 5 is a great phone works great, you will likely have no issues as the majority of people do... he iphone 5c is just that in a plastic case with a bit of poppy colors.

IF you really wan to upgrade get the 5s .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dashflash890 View Post
    Even though I'm not an apple lover where are people getting this overpriced stuff from? Where I live a S4 and a 5s cost the same amount.....
    With a 2yr contract I can get the 4s for a dollar, the 5C is $100, and the 5S is $200.

Are you sure the 4s and 5s are the same price? I'm not paying full retail price, so that might have something to do with it.

I might go with the 4s if there are any in stock, but the performance doesn't come close to the 5s and it only has 8gb vs the 16 in the 5 series. I might go for it anyway because I don't want to give Apple more money than I have to but on the other hand, I want a phone that can handle newer apps and have room for music, videos, and pictures. I don't want to use my upgrade and be stuck with a smart phone that isn't all that smart, I want my phone to last 5+ years.

The 5C would be a great deal if it wasn't plastic I know it doesn't affect performance at all but it really annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    With a 2yr contract I can get the 4s for a dollar, the 5C is $100, and the 5S is $200.

Are you sure the 4s and 5s are the same price? I'm not paying full retail price, so that might have something to do with it.

I might go with the 4s if there are any in stock, but the performance doesn't come close to the 5s and it only has 8gb vs the 16 in the 5 series. I might go for it anyway because I don't want to give Apple more money than I have to but on the other hand, I want a phone that can handle newer apps and have room for music, videos, and pictures. I don't want to use my upgrade and be stuck with a smart phone that isn't all that smart, I want my phone to last 5+ years.

The 5C would be a great deal if it wasn't plastic I know it doesn't affect performance at all but it really annoys me.
    Hm if you go with sprint the 5c is free and the 5s is 100. If you want your phoen to last 5years (and honestly 2-3 is a long time) just get the iphone 5s.

If you want a phone "that" long get the most recent one you can.

Now android phones even if they are somewhat reliable they still end o have more issues than iphones (comparing 5 to galaxy's new thing)

and for the "iphone lol apple suck noob android roar"people

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple...hmarks_id47739

$500 dollars is considered low cost for apple.

thats all you need to know

Quote Originally Posted by dalch View Post
    $500 dollars is considered low cost for apple.

thats all you need to know
    So what? The top of he line android phones are fucking $450 o $600!!!

You can get a cheap android but you get what you pay for.

apple only deals with one phone and it is a top of the line phone because apple only puts out top of the line phones, therefore top of the line cost, which is comparable to cheaper than top of the line androids.

galaxy s4 is $560

Also he is upgrading and at the most he phone will cost $200.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm if you go with sprint the 5c is free and the 5s is 100. If you want your phoen to last 5years (and honestly 2-3 is a long time) just get the iphone 5s.

If you want a phone "that" long get the most recent one you can.

Now android phones even if they are somewhat reliable they still end o have more issues than iphones (comparing 5 to galaxy's new thing)

and for the "iphone lol apple suck noob android roar"people

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple...hmarks_id47739
    That's a good deal for sprint users, but I'm on a family plan with verizon and it's pretty cheap to add a data line so whatever I would save in the upfront cost with sprint I would end up paying in data in a couple months.

I'll probably save up some more and go with the 5s, the processor alone makes it the best deal in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    That's a good deal for sprint users, but I'm on a family plan with verizon and it's pretty cheap to add a data line so whatever I would save in the upfront cost with sprint I would end up paying in data in a couple months.

I'll probably save up some more and go with the 5s, the processor alone makes it the best deal in my eyes.
    I think it's 80 dollars or so a month for unlimited. The entire reason I am with sprint is because I routinly used to use 10-20 gigs a month on my phone and with sprint it's no extra cost and you don't get throttled. It's as they say "truly unlimited"

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.chip.de/bestenlisten/Best.../index/id/900/

just so you know where some people here get the price difference from

apple is not only too expensive, it´s not even top 5 with its latest smartphone

currently i´m deciding between xperia z and galaxy s4

i´d get both for 100€ to 150€ with a new contract, just need to test them first a bit
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    This is what you call unbiased?
    If truth is biased, then I guess not. Else, yes.

Go for the Xperia Z1 or wait for the Nexus 5. The Snapdragon 800 soc will tie/outpreform the A7.

also they're cheaper.
    dicks