Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Four element is nonsense

The four element which is in wow for an example, is nonsense.

You could argue that water and wind are "elements" in a sense that they are corrosion forces, and heat can also be considered an element. But "earth", what the fuck does that mean?

Also, world is not made out of "four elements". Universe is made out of hundreds of basic elements like hydrogen, helium, carbon etc and even those are made out of even smaller particles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before I even opened the thread I knew who made it >.<
    Earth, wind, fire, water. These are the 4 elements.
    They are because blizzard said so, and you are playing their game.
    The End

10+ Year Old Account

Elements, how do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post

You could argue that water and wind are "elements" in a sense that they are corrosion forces, and heat can also be considered an element. But "earth", what the fuck does that mean?

Also, world is not made out of "four elements". Universe is made out of hundreds of basic elements like hydrogen, helium, carbon etc and even those are made out of even smaller particles.
    Bro, it's a fantasy world. Wind, Fire, Water, Earth. Those four have always been the basic elements since people had no idea about hydrogen, helium, etc. before we actually discovered and named them.

Today it's just cooler to use them. I don't want "hydrogen" based attacks. I want them to be called water

It comes from ancient greek philosophy and its been a common thing for a very long and time and its a fantasy world, get over yourself.
    Much love Rivellana

10+ Year Old Account
    Darest I bother pointing out that it dates back to times of Ancient Greece, when such other elements were not known, and were names for the states of matter. Liquid, Solid, Gaseous, Plasma.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Before I even opened the thread I knew who made it >.<
    Earth, wind, fire, water. These are the 4 elements.
    They are because blizzard said so, and you are playing their game.
    The End
    This.

Also because they are a less scientific civilization, akin to pre-christian civilizations such as Rome and Greece, who had similar beliefs. Just because you hold something as fact does not make it necessarily true. In 1000 years, they could look back on us and say "what narrow minded fools, believing faster than light travel was impossible, it's so simple"

Matter of perspective, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Cle never listens to reason. he just argues non stop. there's really no point to this thread than anything but flame baiting : P
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Darest I bother pointing out that it dates back to times of Ancient Greece, when such other elements were not known, and were names for the states of matter. Liquid, Solid, Gaseous, Plasma.
    i dont think ancient greecians knew about plasma

Deleted
    As said above, it's a fantasy world and even then it's more of a metaphor than anything else. What really bothers me is things like Sand Elementals in ToT though, first time my raid got there we were all like 'Since when is sand an element?!' (in WoW).

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am captain planet

Infracted: Please post constructively and contribute to the topic or don't post at all.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-09-29 at 09:55 AM.

I can't wait to see a Hydrogen elemental.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by SanderZammy View Post
    As said above, it's a fantasy world and even then it's more of a metaphor than anything else. What really bothers me is things like Sand Elementals in ToT though, first time my raid got there we were all like 'Since when is sand an element?!' (in WoW).
    they are really old earth elementals lol
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SanderZammy View Post
    Sand is just another form of earth. Do you even watch Avatar, gawd!

The 4 classical elements do not represent physical phenomena alone; they also represent ideas and concepts. (Note: This is not strictly speaking a WoW analysis, but then, we're not in the WoW forums.)

-Air: Intellectuality, theory, creativity. That which can be conceived of, but not seen. Represented in a physical fashion by the air and the wind, because like thoughts and abstract concepts, we can feel their existence and see proof of their existence without seeing them. Also associated with speed, because the air and the wind are difficult to capture and slip away with ease.
    -Water: Faith, intuition, adaptability. That which can be felt and known without proof of its existence. Represented in a physical fashion by water and other fluids because they take the form of the world around them, without losing their own identity and form (you might pour water into a glass, yet it remains water). Also associated with healing because water is a necessity of life, and in ancient days civilizations depended on fixed sources of water to live. (Mesopotamia, the cradle of life, was what it was because of the presence of the two great rives, the Tigris and the Euphrates).
    -Earth: Stability, foundations, reliability, physical strength. That which does not move or bend to outside forces, but endures. Represented by "earth" in physical form because the ground beneath us the foundation for everything we build; we live our lives upon it, and it supports us in all we do. Also associated with protection not just because of its associations with stability and durability, but because we can actually take shelter within the earth (caves, etc).
    -Fire: Passion, change, transformation. That which comes into being with great strength, but without permanence (like strong emotions, which do not last but are incredibly potent in the heat of the moment). Represented by fire itself because fire cannot last forever, yet its effects outlast the flame itself. Also associated with destruction because while fire can be a useful tool, it is also a weapon and can leave devastation in its wake (though even then, a forest fire might be destructive, but it is also necessary for the growth of the forest).

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire is primarily hot and secondarily dry.
    Air is primarily wet and secondarily hot.
    Water is primarily cold and secondarily wet.
    Earth is primarily dry and secondarily cold.

States of being as the Greeks saw them. (aristotle specifically)

Deleted
    Air is primarily wet and secondarily hot.
    Water is primarily cold and secondarily wet.
    Earth is primarily dry and secondarily cold.

Thats backwards

Should be
    Air is primarily dry and secondarily cold
    Water is primarily wet and secondarily hot

15+ Year Old Account
    yes, yes why not argue about a fantasy world and how it´s not real

up next: pixel shaped skin is nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post

Good luck balancing 118 schools of magic
    It also sounds dull... "Zirconium ball!!!" Meh

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    I can't wait to see a Hydrogen elemental.
    It'll be wearing glasses, in the corner of the party, eating onion dip with chips and discussing the cold war.

OT: Yah b/c people always understood the periodic table, no one had to figure it out, we were born knowing it all right OP? Right?
    /facedesk
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.