Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Your first wrong assumption was that carbon is originated from earth. Carbon, like other elements are originated from the big bang. More recently, almoust everything that is on earth is originated from the sun, those leftovers that were orbiting around sun after sun formated, formed the earth and other planets.
    And what does the Sun have to do with the talk we had about the four Elements? I know perfectly well that everything on earth came from the sun, but we weren't talking about the Sun, we were talking about the four Elements, and Carbon belongs under the Earth Category, did you even bother read what I wrote?

Also, your whole reasoning is backwards. Elements dont "come from" liquid or gas etc, liquid and gas are formed by those particles like helium.
    Dude, you really need to read what others write. I wasn't saying they came from the four substances, If you had actually read what I wrote, you'd have seen that I meant that the four elements represents them. I trust you know what that means right?

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what else is bullshit? Drinking a glass of milk, while underwater, that you looted from a dead murloc that you set on fire, also while underwater.
    Putin khuliyo

What bugs me is "Elementals" in pet battles are weak to aquatic. Even Water Elemental pets. Because they're Elementals. WTF IS THAT SHIT?!
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

My understanding is that the 4 basic elements represents states of matter previously mentioned; liquid, solid, gas, plasma

Back in ancient times they believed that the interaction between the 4 elements created new forms of matter.
    For example: Water (liquid) and Fire (plasma) would produce Steam (gas)

I think the belief was that through specific combinations the 4 basic elements could somehow create all forms of matter in the known world (don't quote me on this)

Of course we have since then learned that reality is far more complicated. But models, theories and philosophies are merely tools to try and understand reality in it's entirety.
    While the idea of 4 basic elements were suitable for the time it was conceived in, we can now conclude that while the idea wasn't wrong, it was simply incomplete and lacking.

It's the same case for Einstein's work, which stated that nothing is faster than light (or superluminal). The discovery, and research on the neutrino travelling faster than light doesn't mean Einstein was wrong - it just meant that his theories were flawed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waalt View Post
    My understanding is that the 4 basic elements represents states of matter previously mentioned; liquid, solid, gas, plasma

Back in ancient times they believed that the interaction between the 4 elements created new forms of matter.
    For example: Water (liquid) and Fire (plasma) would produce Steam (gas)

I think the belief was that through specific combinations the 4 basic elements could somehow create all forms of matter in the known world (don't quote me on this)

Of course we have since then learned that reality is far more complicated. But models, theories and philosophies are merely tools to try and understand reality in it's entirety.
    While the idea of 4 basic elements were suitable for the time it was conceived in, we can now conclude that while the idea wasn't wrong, it was simply incomplete and lacking.

It's the same case for Einstein's work, which stated that nothing is faster than light (or superluminal). The discovery, and research on the neutrino travelling faster than light doesn't mean Einstein was wrong - it just meant that his theories were flawed.
    Didn't they realize that that superluminal neutrino was nothing more than faulty equipment?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Didn't they realize that that superluminal neutrino was nothing more than faulty equipment?
    If they did I haven't been made aware of it yet. But I'm not really into physics anyway :P

Point remains however.

Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    The four element which is in wow for an example, is nonsense.

You could argue that water and wind are "elements" in a sense that they are corrosion forces, and heat can also be considered an element. But "earth", what the fuck does that mean?

Also, world is not made out of "four elements". Universe is made out of hundreds of basic elements like hydrogen, helium, carbon etc and even those are made out of even smaller particles.
    Dude we figured this shit out forever ago. It's fantasy.

*face palm* OK dude? The four classic elements are not based on science. They're based on the manipulation of magic and alchemy. They're considered the four magical (or spiritual) elements of the world, not the four scientific elements of the world. Certain cultures alter this formula to include a fifth element, the Void (from which all things come and return to), or alter the elements to Earth, Fire, Water, Wood and Metal (those being the Chinese Elements).
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, OP is right, we should add Heart as the 5th element!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Before I even opened the thread I knew who made it >.<
    Earth, wind, fire, water. These are the 4 elements.
    They are because blizzard said so, and you are playing their game.
    The End
    Dont we also have a frost elemental lord or w/e the guy who the old gods got to go fight rag i think (cant quite remember his lore) i think we fight him for midsummer every year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Bro, it's a fantasy world. Wind, Fire, Water, Earth. Those four have always been the basic elements since people had no idea about hydrogen, helium, etc. before we actually discovered and named them.
    They're just stupid I guess. The only real element out of those 4 is water. But they do know copper, silver, gold, iron and thorium, except they don't consider them elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    They're just stupid I guess. The only real element out of those 4 is water. But they do know copper, silver, gold, iron and thorium, except they don't consider them elements.
    Water isn't a chemical element, it's made out of Hydrogen and Oxygen.

As mentioned earlier, the ancient elements are closer to the modern understanding of states of matter (solid, liquid, gas, energy/plasma).

10+ Year Old Account
    I am able to bend all of the elements. Come at me bro!
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Feel the fury of my Silicon Elemental summoning!

*Word of Recall*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.