Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Legendary is Legendary/Orange for a reason, its reserved for the 1%. If you QQ about not getting it, its because you're not good enough. You're not entitled to the best thing in the game just because you pay for it. The way I see it, Blizz dropped the ball on this one... Free Legendary's to every retard that can face roll there way through LFR is not the way the game should be going (and they wonder why subs drop lol).

Mists was good. Free Legendary was stupid and uncalled for.
    There hasn't been a single legendary in the game that you had to be "Good enough" to get... they were all RNG. You were either lucky and got it or you weren't. Once Wrath hit the legendarys were a guarantee you just had RNG dictate how long you had to wait. The only time skill got involved was where heroic gave you a slightly better chance of getting parts.

It´s ok that all have the same change to get a legendary. Legendary like the (real?)"old" Legendary doesnt exist anymore, think of the Caster Legendary from Firelands, yeah there are only a few who got the staff at first, but in die end, everyone (with a raid) can get it. No matter how Blizz will do it with these items, some ppl will always say "no thats the wrong way" You never can make all happy

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe i dont understand but why do i need the cloak to do a world boss (ordos)?
    It's o.k. since you only need the cloak on your account not on the actual character, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzik View Post
    <snip>

1.) I love the quest line. I love Wrathion. I like the Lore involved with how the questing went. However, I do not feel the cloak is of a "legendary" feeling. Again, I am not complaining everyone is getting free legendaries. What I'd like to complain about is how it's almost a guaranteed goal to obtain one. This isn't Thor'idal where one person can use this. Everyone can obtain the cloak. No, I'm not saying it's welfare. I'm not saying "baddies can get ez legendaries lol!!". What I am saying is, I feel as if obtaining the cloak is mandatory for high dps. You may ask what the issue with this is. I will get to my second point now.
    I'm 6 runes away from starting the last section (i.e. i'm on the only time consuming part left). Loved the questline so far too! Started off in 5.0 whilst raiding semi-hardcore with my guild and continued through to mid-5.2, until I quit WoW. Just restarted playing when 5.4 hit and I'm enjoying it again and working my way forwards to the cloak.

To get to your point, 'mandatory' is a word we as a community throw around too much these days. Granted, I have a biased perspective after stopping serious raiding, so take it as you will. But, even before I quit and was pushing for heroic modes, I tried to enforce my guildies not to kill themselves with tasks that they found oppressing. Of course, the previous statement is highly subjective and therefore you need to surround yourself with players that share the philosophy, otherwise you're in for a world of drama/trouble.

2.) Alts. I've thought about getting on an alt and leveling him and gearing him. Then I thought, well wait a second, I'm going to be screwed on my dps because I don't have the legendary cloak, and have to start from scratch on the quest. How is this fair? People would work on the cloak all expansion and then have an alt that's hindered? What if you want a new character? My third point now.
    Alts are cool, I've got 3 90s myself, ~6 85s, 2 50 somethings. But, I never assume that my alts should be able to simply gather the same gear as my main (unless I put in similar time/effort into them). Some level of catch-up is useful for players that start late, or leave and return (like myself), and this also benefits Alts. But, the benefit to Alts is, IMHO, a useful byproduct, not a goal in of itself... I'm definitely of the school of thought that Alts are fun, but end-game should be focused on a given character (unless you have the same amount of time/resources to spend on another character).

3.) Blizzard has once again put the importance on guilds. Does anyone remember Val'anyr? While it didn't have a random drop chance like Glaives, you did see the items drop FOR the item itself, letting a guild decide on who would obtain the legendary. I feel as if this brings the guild together, and I feel as if doing it the "solo" way alienates you from the rest of your guild. Next point.
    I don't really get the point you are trying to make here, if any :P... But, if I were to hazard a guess:
    - Blizz focuses more on guilds now. Raiding with PuGs is less prevalent than before, raiding with guild is propped up to be 'better'... (MoP v/s some previous expansion, WotLK maybe?)
    - Conversely, the current legendary doesn't require reliance on a Guild to acquire.

I never felt alienated from the rest of the guild for this legendary. The mock competition of who was gathering how many Sigils / whatever and at what rate engaged intra-guild banter more so than with previous guild Legendaries.

4.) Skill level. What if you're a really good player, know your class to the T, and don't have the cloak? What if you simply joined half way into the expansion? How does this help subscription numbers?

Overall, I just don't think it was a good system, and this is coming from someone who is very close to obtaining the cloak.
    Skill is awesome, but WoW has ALWAYS put a definitive emphasis on Gear. The relative weight of the emphasis on Gear v/s Skill shifts continuously, but is ever-present. EVERY legendary has always tipped the balance towards the Gear end of the scale. This one is no different. I don't see anything new here. You could argue against Legendaries altogether, but it's out of the scope of this post.

TLDR: I don't think the cloak is legendary enough. No, it's not welfare. We did earn it. But it was almost expected.

Would you have liked your favorite show as much on tv, or movie, if you KNEW the ending? I know I wouldn't.
    I disagree, whilst endings are cool, the journey is worth FAR more. That is why people oft rewatch / reread / replay. The question then becomes: Was the journey worth it? For me so far, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifande View Post
    Was the journey worth it? For me so far, yes.
    What journey?
    As a raider I did what I would have done anyway. I killed raid bosses. And collected some random stuff while at it.
    There was no journey in this questline at all. The only interesting thing was the solo scenario.

Now did I enjoy the raid bosses and were they worth it?

HELL YEAH!

Deleted
    The quests themselves were good, but the RNG nature of getting the legendary was quite a poor decision. You can say "farm raids" all you want, some people just don't have time to do that or the luck to even get the required items. I had a guildie with 20 sigils of power and 2 for wisdom before he just outright gave up.

Grinding ToT twice for entirely different drops was kind of a piss-off. While I generally enjoyed the quest, I would have liked the Titan Runestones dropped in favor of say, more PvP or personal challenges or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I much prefer this type of legendary over what we've had in the past. Something that was completely random and uncontrollable is just silly. People make a huge deal about Warglaives, and they were insanely good in BC, my guild had 0. The other guild that progressed as much as we did on the server had 5 of them in the same amount of kills. It was random, and idiotic. Doing a long quest for a legendary is significantly better than having to just sit around and hope an item with less than a 1% drop rate decides to drop for you.
    We have had legendaries like that (with questchains etc) since WotLK...

The problem this legendary has is that everyone is getting one if they want to and then suddenly people start making a problem out of it. Like, they need it on alts too and then this is suddenly alt unfriendly. You know what the solution is for this problem? Remove it completely.

My alts are dead to me because of the cloak. Every time I log on to one it's a little nagging thing on my shoulder (or in this case back) saying "you could be working towards that cloak"

"but but I want to make my Paladin look purdy..."
    "CLOAK"

But yes, the cloak has this interesting way of cementing the idea of MoP being an alt-unfriendly expansion. I'll usually have 1-2 alts but this time round I've been far more attached to my main char because of his progress towards the cloak and other things.

I agree with your statement though, Mists did a lot of things right. The cloak is borderline though.
    "Too late, and to their sorrow, do those who misplace their trust in gods learn their fate" - Judge Bergan

The notion that nature can be calculated inevitably leads to the conclusion that humans too can be reduced to basic mechanical parts

I like the solo aspect, far too many times i worked as part of a guild on getting someone a legendary only for them to disappear/quit/transfer/whatever 2 weeks later. Screw that, let me work on my legendary in my own pace.

"Being a requirement" - i'm not sure about this, it wouldn't be much of a legendary if it wasn't significantly more powerful than other items.

My only problem with the cloak on alts is the rep requirement that is a mind-numbing mob grind in old content that i have no reason to touch otherwise. MoP in general was very alt-unfriendly and is still somewhat is. I think they should make the mobs and rares on timeless island to give wrathion rep.

Added - i think i would like more focus on solo challenges and less on RNG drops from raids and rep grinding for future legendaries.
    Last edited by bdew; 2013-10-02 at 09:21 AM.

I think the cloak was one of the best things in this expansion (ducks and hides)

To the people saying there's no journey or lore behind it; Was there lore behind Sulfuras or Thunderfury? what about Warglaives or Thori'dal? Val'nyr or Shadowmourne?
    Blizzard have given us more and more lore about the legendaries we get each and every expansion. The real "questing" started with Shadowmourne and have only gotten better and better. Shadowmourne -> Tarecgosa's rest -> Fangs of the Father -> Cloak

First of all, i like this cloak and the way they did it because it wasn't just a random drop, You started a quest to gather materials and prove your worth, meanwhile you got bits of lore for Azeroth and the history of the mogu.

The other thing i like is the fact that its not something you rush in a few weeks (i'm looking at you Shadowmourne)
    They had us going for this the entire expansion, and to keep us interested they gave us rewards while doing so, gems, socket and the epic cloak.

The last thing (and the one i dislike the most, because i like to use my transmog set) is the look of the cloak.
    It looks legendary with glow and all, and it feels legendary when you try it out, the damage is there, just like it was when you got your hands on Sulfuras, Shadowmourne, or Tarecgosa's rest.

by adding the catchup mechanic they've even given us a way to get this baby on our alts, it still requires a lot of patience and work, but its a small price to pay if you ask me.

Heck, by asking us to collect items from the raids, win battlegrounds, collect valor points and travel all across the world talking to the celestials, they've even covered every aspect of the game except pet battles! (calling it now, Pet battles required for next legendary!) All in all, I am extremely pleased with blizzards approach on this, and hope they continue the trend!
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Quote Originally Posted by bdew View Post
    I like the solo aspect, far too many times i worked as part of a guild on getting someone a legendary only for them to disappear/quit/transfer/whatever 2 weeks later. Screw that, let me work on my legendary in my own pace.
    Ok thats right, if youre unluky and have to transfer or something its shit, yeah. But i dislike the solo aspect, doing it for one person in your guild - together - to be more powerful as guild is something that keeps the "feeling" up for my opinion this "we" feeling is going under more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by bdew View Post
    My only problem with the cloak on alts is the rep requirement that is a mind-numbing mob grind in old content that i have no reason to touch otherwise. MoP in general was very alt-unfriendly and is still somewhat is. I think they should make the mobs and rares on timeless island to give wrathion rep.
    I can understand your frustration, but i have to disagree, they gave us rep with the black prince from both domination point and isle of thunder.
    thats a very long time of actual content for people to snail up to revered / exalted. Even now, it does not take more than a few hours to get the required reputations nowdays.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

I really feel like if they do it again, make it account wide.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the procs were cooler, I'd be happy. The tank one is so boring I can't hardly stand it. And it'll only get more and more boring as you get better at fights.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    What journey?
    As a raider I did what I would have done anyway. I killed raid bosses. And collected some random stuff while at it.
    There was no journey in this questline at all. The only interesting thing was the solo scenario.

Now did I enjoy the raid bosses and were they worth it?

HELL YEAH!
    The interactions with Wrathion upon the start/completion of each quest. The build up of the Legendary, specifically the fact that in each patch the current quest line end hinted of continuation in the future, which actually happened when the next patch released. This definitely enhanced MY immersion, e.g. waiting for the invasion to occur to continue with my Wrathion rep.

/my2c

10+ Year Old Account
    So people who have been through all patches of mop and been getting each part of the questline done doesn't deserve a legendary cloak?
    They deserve it as much as the rest of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

I don't think "unfair" is really the correct, or ironically, fair word to use in regard to alts.

The only part that really pisses me off is the fucking 3 week break where you have to cap valor points. I am on that part with 2 alts and I wouldn't have a problem with it being removed.

Deleted
    I agree. I have the cloak on 3 characters total. Could probably be more if i had been bothered to go at the quest chain on all my alts, every week, since they hit 90. But i didnt. I'll soon be 90 on my warrior and its starting from the beginning again.

Things that can be done to make this easier is to drop the 3k valor to 1k valor. Its just a stupid timesink that is not relevant anymore. There should also be easier ways to gain rep with Wrathion.