10+ Year Old Account

Mistweaver: Wind vs Kick?

Ok, so ever since I read about 5.4, I was excited about Rushing Jade Wind as it seemed cool. However, the community consensus was that it was a weak talent, with alot saying the weakest of the tier.

Now, maybe I might be insane or I'm missing something, but I don't understand WHY:
    It's not channeled means more uptime casting or moving
    Heals more, same mana cost means efficient
    Generates same amount of chi per cast means no loss on chi generation

I did a quick test, and assuming no crits, here's the quick napkin math for a single cast of each:
    Wind = 9 ticks at 4901 each for a total of 44109
    Kick = 4 ticks at 6126 each for 24504

So why is it that I don't see more people opting for wind?

*Ok, fine, I do prefer kick's animation over winds', so that's a strike against wind for me :P

Well, without glossing over your math (at all), the real question is not RJW Vs ScK, it's RJW Vs ScK + Xuen.

The latter always wins (imo).

The reasons RJW is bad for mistweaver are fairly simple;

1 - while aoe healing, sck is just a chi generator, not your primary source of aoe healing. RJW has a much longer cd than spinning crane kick, and while active, does LESS hps(though it is more mana efficient, but this is not something monks care about currently). This means you are generating LESS chi with RJW, and dealing less hps in the same span of time.

2 - Unlike for dps, freeing up having to channel sck does little for mistweaver, as there is little else to do in between spinning crane kick and uplift while aoe healing, so that advantage is of little use to us.

3 - RJW offers no real increase to versatility like xuen(burst healing over a short period) or chi torpedo(free burst healing added to your mobility in a line). Even on an aoe intensive fight, i rarely use SCK more than a few dozen times over the course of the fight, but xuen will help for a bursty aoe phase, and chi torpedo will help with burst aoe damage that is more consistent. RJW just...allows me to channel a soothing mist while aoe healing. Yay.

Bottom line, the only real major advantage of RJW is the increased mana efficiency, something monks care almost nothing for right now, and compared to the free healing of chi torpedo or xuen, it isn't even a net mana gain either. RJW is trash for mistweaver, do not use it.

I don't think it is trash actually. I haven't MWed for a while, but channeling Soothing Mist while RJWing on Norushen, Sha, Malkorok, Thok and Garrosh during the stack up phases doesn't sound like a bad idea. And RJW + Channeling Soothing Mist = more Chi than SCK = More Uplifts.

There is a cap on RJW's healing though, if I'm not wrong. I think it will heal a max number of players stacked, which means that this is stronger on 10mans than in 25mans compared to Chi Torpedo which I don't think has the cap. However, while Chi Torpedo can heal for a lot in 25mans when people are stacked, it has limited usage and definetely less Chi generation = less Uplifts.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroVane View Post
    2 - Unlike for dps, freeing up having to channel sck does little for mistweaver, as there is little else to do in between spinning crane kick and uplift while aoe healing, so that advantage is of little use to us.

Bottom line, the only real major advantage of RJW is the increased mana efficiency, something monks care almost nothing for right now, and compared to the free healing of chi torpedo or xuen, it isn't even a net mana gain either. RJW is trash for mistweaver, do not use it.
    2. is totally wrong. Even if you only do SCK+Uplift, you will have to stop SCKing for Uplifts. in that time RJW continues healing. Additionally you can spamm Soothing whilst RJWing. And spamming soothing generates more Chi than spamming uplift!
    So essentially its more SCK and more Uplifts you can get out in the same time, which is a pure gain gainst non-RJWing.
    The question is of course if this additional healing during heavy AoE spamming you do beats Xuen and CT...
    That's mostly dependand on how long this heavy AoE spamming fest goes on for. If its infrequent and Bursty (e.g. Malkorok) Xuen is nice due to high uptime in the critical phase, if its regular and bursty (e.g. Megaera) probably CT wins (as it can recharge in between), and if it's very constant (e.g. Thok) RJW is a decent option.

RJW also has the benefit of doing nice DPS in parallel. on Galakras it is very valuable! and even on fights like Protectors (if 3+ targets) you can use it as a an assiting DPS/Heal spell, by using RJW -> TP for a very cheap smart AoE heal + dmg

During this tier, the t90 talents are as balanced as ever. all 3 spells have their application. (also because CT just doesn't seem to be as good as it was in ToT)

Deleted
    RJW is ass for fistweaving, you can only really dump into tiger palm in AE situations with it or the cost is pretty awful :/

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    RJW is ass for fistweaving, you can only really dump into tiger palm in AE situations with it or the cost is pretty awful :/
    you mean its kick-ass, right? :-D on Galakras p1 and Garrosh p1 the damage you do is fucking great, I always beat out tanks and get near to the dps. it's nice as long as it lasts ^^ sometimes you wont have enough chi from ReM,EH,CBrew, but then a Jab+RJW will do the trick aswell, never oomed to that. (or just generate Chi with CJL until you can BoK again)
    edit: talking of Galakras hc, Garrosh non-hc, we're not that far yet^^

Deleted
    Eh idk, tower DPS from Xuen on Galakras seems a lot more important, not to mention the fact you can have him up for all of the time you're actually killing the boss. Garrosh add dps is kind of padding, but it's not a bad talent the rest of the fight so idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    Eh idk, tower DPS from Xuen on Galakras seems a lot more important, not to mention the fact you can have him up for all of the time you're actually killing the boss. Garrosh add dps is kind of padding, but it's not a bad talent the rest of the fight so idk.
    Okey if you go into the towers, it's a different story. they always left me outside due to also getting all healing done, but additionally bringing 100-200k dps. that and the additional interupt (for when 2 shamans are up) are quite usefull.
    on garrsoh p1 thats of course just meter padding :-) I only used RJW on garrosh one night, and it fellt quite decent, you are stacked ver often (nearly all the time until last phase) so it does get a practical use after the meter padding aswell ^^