Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Obamacare advice needed.

I am unemployed, no unemployment, no source of income that is my own. Despite trying to get jobs, no one is hiring in this area, and its only getting worse. What do I do? It says if I have nothing by January 1st, I could face a penalty. Penalty of what? I have no job thus no way I can pay any sort of fines. It surely would be too expensive on both money and room to jail everyone who is like me in this horrid economy that cannot get a job. So what options do I have? Especially with the government shut down at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to your Department of Labor and ask them. I'm sure they'll know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Go to your Department of Labor and ask them. I'm sure they'll know what to do.
    Umm, wouldn't the social service offices know more about health care related topics the the Department of Labor? I mean, they do handle medicaid and stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
    The penalty for the 1st year is like $50 or $90, its absurdly small. If you're young and in fairly good health, it may not be worth getting at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I am unemployed, no unemployment, no source of income that is my own. Despite trying to get jobs, no one is hiring in this area, and its only getting worse. What do I do? It says if I have nothing by January 1st, I could face a penalty. Penalty of what? I have no job thus no way I can pay any sort of fines. It surely would be too expensive on both money and room to jail everyone who is like me in this horrid economy that cannot get a job. So what options do I have? Especially with the government shut down at the moment.
    You go to healthcare.gov and you signup. It should direct you to medicaid for your state. If the website doesn't help, there is a phone number you can call, or an internet chat you can go through to get help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post
    The penalty for the 1st year is like $50 or $90, its absurdly small. If you're young and in fairly good health, it may not be worth getting at the moment.
    Anyone paying that penalty making under at least 15k/year hasn't taken the time to look up the real info. At, or below, that income level, you won't pay a dime for your healthcare.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions/
    You may qualify for an exemption if:...You don’t have to file a tax return because your income is too low
    You would undoubtedly fall into the above category ^^
    There is no jailtime if you fail to pay the fine(and are supposed to), I believe they can just take it out of your tax return (or subsequent tax returns).

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm, wouldn't the social service offices know more about health care related topics the the Department of Labor? I mean, they do handle medicaid and stuff.
    Then why are you asking us? I figured the Department of Labor would know something about it sense I'm sure your not the only one unemployed.

IIRC, Unemployment can be up to a year.. what have you done in the last year that you can't get even a food services job?

People in my area complain all the time they can't find a job, but nearly every restaurant and retail store is hiring

I'd look for temp jobs, or a placement agency. If you're still having troubles, I'd probably spend more time on Udacity then strolling through MMO-Champion trying to start a political debate

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Give them a call explain you don't have income and they will work something out. Ignoring it tends trigger Collection services and added to your record till its paid off if you ever try to apply for any sort of credit. Shouldn't take long to give them a call

Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post
    /hug. Im sure when I get back to my home state where even my druggy, convict brother whos only 19 can get a job Ill have one within a year. You sir, have really eased my mind a Ton. Ill have a job in time that that 50$ or 90$ won't be growing.

/hug. Im sure when I get back to my home state where even my druggy, convict brother whos only 19 can get a job Ill have one within a year. You sir, have really eased my mind a Ton. Ill have a job in time that that 50$ or 90$ won't be growing.
    I'm going to assume you missed my post. With income below the poverty level,$11k/year or so, you'll be eligible for medicaid, if you gain some employment and make under $15k for the year you will be eligible for 100% subsidized healthcare. Either way, go to http://www.healthcare.gov and click the big Apply now button. You won't owe any penalties and you'll gain health coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewi View Post
    IIRC, Unemployment can be up to a year.. what have you done in the last year that you can't get even a food services job?

People in my area complain all the time they can't find a job, but nearly every restaurant and retail store is hiring

I'd look for temp jobs, or a placement agency. If you're still having troubles, I'd probably spend more time on Udacity then strolling through MMO-Champion trying to start a political debate
    1) Not trying to start a political debate. I am asking for advice to help me deal with this situation.
    2) I currently do not have a car. I have applied at every store, gas station, food joint, and temp agency in my town. Nothing. The temp agency can't even place me part time due to not having a car yet. (lots of reasons why not going into detail here).
    3) My gfs dad just got laid off. The economy in this area is suffering. Bad. There are very few jobs, and what jobs that do open up get snatched up quickly by people who have a man on the inside pulling them in. I lost a job to 2 people who failed their basic math test required on the application ffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    Give them a call explain you don't have income and they will work something out. Ignoring it tends trigger Collection services and added to your record till its paid off if you ever try to apply for any sort of credit. Shouldn't take long to give them a call
    I don't intend to touch credit. My family has a few members who tried and it ruined them. When Im older, maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by frumper View Post
    I'm going to assume you missed my post. With income below the poverty level,$11k/year or so, you'll be eligible for medicaid, if you gain some employment and make under $15k for the year you will be eligible for 100% subsidized healthcare. Either way, go to http://www.healthcare.gov and click the big Apply now button. You won't owe any penalties and you'll gain health coverage.
    I did. Went in order and his was first Still you two have made me feel better at least. With the shut down going on, is that working at the moment? Or should I wait until the shut down is done (since they are putting if off because of this very law) before going there?

1) Not trying to start a political debate. I am asking for advice to help me deal with this situation.
    2) I currently do not have a car. I have applied at every store, gas station, food joint, and temp agency in my town. Nothing. The temp agency can't even place me part time due to not having a car yet. (lots of reasons why not going into detail here).
    3) My gfs dad just got laid off. The economy in this area is suffering. Bad. There are very few jobs, and what jobs that do open up get snatched up quickly by people who have a man on the inside pulling them in. I lost a job to 2 people who failed their basic math test required on the application ffs.
    Then what other people have said also applies, you wont have to pay the fine since you're below the income requirement

- - - Updated - - -

I don't intend to touch credit. My family has a few members who tried and it ruined them. When Im older, maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

I did. Went in order and his was first Still you two have made me feel better at least. With the shut down going on, is that working at the moment? Or should I wait until the shut down is done (since they are putting if off because of this very law) before going there?
    Chrisberb gave you all the info in the link. If you have no income you pay no penalty.

Thats the ironic thing about the shutdown, it does nothing to stop the ACA. The site is working, if its having any troubles its because too many people are using it. Medicaid should go into effect right away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do volunteer work any experience is good experience, also keeps you enthusiastic and motivated about looking for work instead of moping around doom and gloom.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Do volunteer work any experience is good experience, also keeps you enthusiastic and motivated about looking for work instead of moping around doom and gloom.
    Not really moping around. About to go back to my home state after no work has poped up for three years where Im at. Trying to figure a game plan as to if I go to college and for what. If I had a car I would do some serious job searching before volunteer work, and maybe volunteer work just to get references.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    Funnily enough, the shutdown doesn't touch the ACA (also known as Obamacare) so the site is up and running It's been experiencing a heavy load today due to millions of people using it to browse/purchase insurance, so there have been glitches and crashes. It may be best to wait a few days.

I repeat though, get in touch with your local DHS. If you have no income you almost certainly qualify for Medicaid already.
    Ill see into that. Last I looked on their site a few months ago it said I wouldn't since im 21, male, with no dependents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really moping around. About to go back to my home state after no work has poped up for three years where Im at. Trying to figure a game plan as to if I go to college and for what. If I had a car I would do some serious job searching before volunteer work, and maybe volunteer work just to get references.

- - - Updated - - -

Ill see into that. Last I looked on their site a few months ago it said I wouldn't since im 21, male, with no dependents.
    Sorry i didnt mean you intentionally i mean alot of people get into a routine when they cant find work they give up thinking they will never find work so why bother sort of attitude. Its why door knocking is so vital to finding jobs, i know you said you tried all those places but you have to look beyond the retail type stuff, do you have an industrial area in your city, like manufacturing plants etc you can try even recycling plants
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Sorry i didnt mean you intentionally i mean alot of people get into a routine when they cant find work they give up thinking they will never find work so why bother sort of attitude. Its why door knocking is so vital to finding jobs, i know you said you tried all those places but you have to look beyond the retail type stuff, you have an industrial area in your city, like manufacturing plants etc
    I most certainly do, but they are laying off people because of obamacare. That's the type of job my gfs dad lost. Its also the place I lost a job to over two people who failed the basic math test (turns out they were friends with someone way high ranking). So those places haven't yielded anything but less jobs and lay offs. Or when they are hiring, only go through a temp agency (never all at the same one). So again, in those situations have to know someone who tells you what agency and when.