Keyboard with individually backlit keys

I recently purchased a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Elite 2013 as I wanted to get a mechanical keyboard, it was stated to have individually backlit keys and improved back lighting, however theres no way I can see to customize the lighting for each individual key in Synapse 2.0 as stated in the specs? I wanted to have WASD(or other keys) at a higher illumination level to the rest to it so it would be easier to identify where to place my hand on the keyboard in the dark/ lower lighting.

Has Razer/ other companies just come up with yet another BS technical term to confuse? Cause from what I can see there not individually lit at all there is just separate lighting for the keys which is actually still all controlled with 1 slider for both keys and the base back lighting? Which to me means theres nothing remotely individual at all about it... If so I'm really considering returning it, as i'm not really liking the Cherry MX blue switches it has much either for rapid double tapping.
    Last edited by Ech0544; 2013-10-05 at 11:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Individual back light is not individually customizable back light.

In this case I guess each key has it's own LED. No lies here.

It may not mean individually customizable but still, "individually back lit keys" and "improved back lighting" does at least to me imply that at the very least the back lighting and key lighting is separate. Oh well, guess I'll be returning it then =/

OP you should check Corsair Vengance K70 Performance they are making 2 or more versions(red and blue with red and i think blue switches)the keyboard has lot of light settings and modes and the build quality is pretty awesome too. check some reviews on youtube if its what you are looking for.

Deleted
    I believe your only bet at this point in time is a Ducky board. I believe they can have their LEDs mapped separately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhMYH_n_oU

Deleted
    Corsair K95 - if a keyboard could ooze sex, this would be it!

http://www.corsair.com/us/gaming-per...-keyboard.html

Key-by-key customizable backlighting
    The brilliant white LEDs have adjustable brightness and key-by-key programmability to light up just the keys you need.

Thanks for the suggestions, ended up returning it as the Cherry MX Blue switches were driving me insane with the missed keystrokes when rapid tapping.

Was looking to replace it with a BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2013 as it has brown switches and I'm somewhat vain and wanted my setup to look pretty (got a Razer Goliathus Extended mouse mat and Logitech g600 set to green) and it being lit green was worth dropping the customizable individual key lighting but it appears you can't buy it in UK or anywhere else on the planet atleast outside US from what I've been able to find (or not as is the case), isn't even in stock on the Razer store o_O

Anyone able to recommend a Cherry MX Brown keyboard with the usual 5/6 macro keys on the left? I checked out the Corsair Vengeance K70 and will probably get it if I can't find anything else... but its like the one of the ugliest keyboards I've ever seen and lacks the macro keys, plus I'd prefer my setup to look nice if I'm gonna spend the sort of money a mechanical gaming keyboard generally costs.
    Last edited by Ech0544; 2013-10-05 at 06:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the K70 myself and I love it, the back lighting can be set per individual key. Also, not sure if anyone else feels the same way, ,but for some reason the reds on the K70 seem to be like 50 times better then other keyboards I have had with reds. Typing on it is great, overall awesome keyboard. Can also get browns on the K70 but no macro keys on left =( Good luck!
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by naadra View Post
    I have the K70 myself and I love it, the back lighting can be set per individual key. Also, not sure if anyone else feels the same way, ,but for some reason the reds on the K70 seem to be like 50 times better then other keyboards I have had with reds. Typing on it is great, overall awesome keyboard. Can also get browns on the K70 but no macro keys on left =( Good luck!
    Not much to add, the K70 is awesome. I like the smaller form factor compared to the K90/95, I have no use for the macro keys.
    Got it 2 days ago and the red look gorgeous on the black brushed aluminium frame.

I had a Filco before this one, with black cherry MX switches. The build quality was excellent but unfortunatly I spilled a glass of water over it and didn't clean it out properly, so after 3 months the damp destroyed the controller chip board.

Anyway, I got the red cherry MX switches on the K70 and they are very light, lighter then the blacks.
    Which is great for gaming because I was still used to pressing down and got fatigued in my fingers.

Deleted
    You could try modding it like this dude:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUg_jtZq0TY

Hmm na, I didn't like the blue switches it came with anyway and modding the lighting like that would void the warranty I would imagine. Ended up a getting ducky shine 3 with green LEDs, tho to be honest I feel a bit violated every time I think of how much it cost (£148 inc P&P) lol, but oh well, needed new gear and might as well spend that bit extra to get what I want and have it look good as well as I spend so much time on my pc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Love my K95 and having each key set up how I want is just icing on the cake especially when playing a new game... turn of all lights except the keys you need /profit! :P