Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Perfect case for high ambient temp + non modular PSU

I'm having a hell of a time choosing a new case. I have a non modular PSU and where I live is extremely humid and hot for 8 months a year. My current build has extremely bad cable management.

So far I'm looking strongly at the Antec P280, but I have concerns. Will I need to leave my case window open as I don't see good intake airflow when the damn thing is shut. Also as seen below, it looks like there isn't any space for 1 large or 2 medium intake fans.

Secondly, I'm looking at the Lian Li K63 but the inside is lacking the cable management holes that the P280 has. I'd rather not have to start cutting pieces out of the case.

Lastly, I'm looking at the COOLER MASTER HAF 922 but my Chinese friends all say CoolMaster is crap and I should avoid it. I love how it comes with a big ass intake fan in the front, but it seems theres no cable holes in the side of the case? if I did buy this case it seems I wouldn't need to add ANY fans at all...

I'm open to other cases as well, but it can be hard to find some of the cases here, they typically sell mostly big brands (Coolmaster, ASUS, Lian Li, ANTEC especially).
    Last edited by iggie; 2013-10-06 at 04:19 PM.

Deleted
    for high air flow, theres 2 choice, corsair 550 i think it was, or the silverstone raven cases, raven 3 being the cheapest 1 of the lot, im using it, and has tons of space for cables, if you search for it, you will see why, and it comes with 2x180mm fans which direct air right at the components, raven 1/2 having 3 of them, but much more expensive

Deleted
    See if you can't get either the NZXT Phantom or the CM Storm Scout 2.

Silverstone case with 90° reversion and nothing else really. TJ11/FT02 (is much cheaper than TJ11 and uglier imo) and there are some other variants of them.

This is how amazing they perform:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...-900d-review/4

Even with the fans on min speed they take a lot of cases out and to consider that many cases come with cheap high speed and noisy fans.

Deleted
    Corsair 540 has an excellent airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Still nothing.. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...r-540-review/3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    That mainly boils down to the amount of fans included in stock configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    See if you can't get either the NZXT Phantom or the CM Storm Scout 2.
    Looked into the Storm Scout, couldn't find it here. The Phantom looks... odd. Only one small intake fan and only one small exhaust? I don't know if that's enough for where I live.

- - - Updated - - -

Silverstone case with 90° reversion and nothing else really. TJ11/FT02 (is much cheaper than TJ11 and uglier imo) and there are some other variants of them.

This is how amazing they perform:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...-900d-review/4

Even with the fans on min speed they take a lot of cases out and to consider that many cases come with cheap high speed and noisy fans.
    Lots of silverstone models for sale here, ranging from expensive to cheap. Is there a specific model that stands out?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    I've never had a cube case before, is it hard to install the parts properly? I'm just so used to towers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    for high air flow, theres 2 choice, corsair 550 i think it was, or the silverstone raven cases, raven 3 being the cheapest 1 of the lot, im using it, and has tons of space for cables, if you search for it, you will see why, and it comes with 2x180mm fans which direct air right at the components, raven 1/2 having 3 of them, but much more expensive
    Is that the RV03? I see lots of them online here.

Seems kind of small..., I'm worried my non modular PSU will bung up the airflow if it's pretty tight. Reviews look good, and supply seems plentiful, just need to know if it'll work well with a non modular psu.

edit: is it my understanding it comes with pre installed fans? Anandtech lists lots, just need to pre buy fans if I do buy this case. Ideally since I tend to fuck things up I'd love to buy a case with fans already prepped so all I need to do is install my parts.
    Front 4x 120mm fan mount (attached to bay adapters)
    Rear 1x 120mm fan mount
    Top 1x 120mm
    Side 1x 120mm fan mount (back)
    Bottom 2x 180mm (compatible with three 120mm fans)

RV02-B's are almost the same price here. They look like balls for cable wiring though, and where the hell does the front intake come from?

Last edited by iggie; 2013-10-06 at 06:19 PM.

Deleted
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post20577054

my build, it comes with 2x180mm fans and 1x120 mm fan on top by default when you buy the case, the 2x180 mm fans are actually one of the best fans you can get as far as case fans are concerned, prob the best fans that come presupplied with a case.

it comes with more then enough to worry, but has a massive amount of fan mounts, the rv02 is prob a bit better but more expensive

Deleted
    The cube case is supposed to be a lot easier for installation.

Deleted
    doesnt show well, but the bottom left though cut out a bit, is where the wires come out of the PSU, and its a corsair TX650

- - - Updated - - -

oh, in terms of PSU, there is a size limit on the rv03, dunno about the rv02, stuff like the AX1200i for example most likey wont fit, but fits most standard sized PSU

Antec has several cases that are loaded with fans and you can always add more since most cases have extra spots for them. But keep in mind that you will NEVER run below ambient without active cooling. Fans just move the available air around. So if ambient is 85 that will be your lowest temp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post20577054

my build, it comes with 2x180mm fans and 1x120 mm fan on top by default when you buy the case, the 2x180 mm fans are actually one of the best fans you can get as far as case fans are concerned, prob the best fans that come presupplied with a case.

it comes with more then enough to worry, but has a massive amount of fan mounts, the rv02 is prob a bit better but more expensive
    I can't see those images of yours. They are likely posted/hosted to a website that is blocked here in China.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Antec has several cases that are loaded with fans and you can always add more since most cases have extra spots for them. But keep in mind that you will NEVER run below ambient without active cooling. Fans just move the available air around. So if ambient is 85 that will be your lowest temp.
    My room is about 25c at night, and just now I'm idling with just chrome open at 71 GPU temp (gtx 570 fan is auto at 53%)., CPU idling at 45 (has a good aftermarket coolmaster on it).

Speaking of ATEC, I looked at the ANTEC 900 but it has no opening in the bottom for my PSU (it faces down and exhausts in the back of the case). Sad, I liked the layout.

As for my PSU, I run a Corsair GS 700W. I hate myself every day for not spending a bit more for a modular one.
    Last edited by iggie; 2013-10-06 at 06:45 PM.

I would suggest pointing your PSU up, to act as an exhaust fan for your GPU. PSU's are the most stoutly built components in a PC with usually the longest warranties. Not to mention they were originally designed to exhaust heat.

I think my case has some of the best airflow in its class, the antec 300 illusion. The HDD cages are mounted in a way where its very low drag on the incoming air from the front 120's. It also has the perk of being cheap and built to last.

Some people are put off by the unpainted interior of the 300 and i get that, so if that does bother you i suggest the fractal arc midi r2 and remove the HDD cages or at least move them back for better airflow. Take the fan out of the top and put it in the front so you have two, then add something like a corsair H100i to the top. (or just get some fans to put up there).

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I would suggest pointing your PSU up, to act as an exhaust fan for your GPU. PSU's are the most stoutly built components in a PC with usually the longest warranties. Not to mention they were originally designed to exhaust heat.

I think my case has some of the best airflow in its class, the antec 300 illusion. The HDD cages are mounted in a way where its very low drag on the incoming air from the front 120's. It also has the perk of being cheap and built to last.

Some people are put off by the unpainted interior of the 300 and i get that, so if that does bother you i suggest the fractal arc midi r2 and remove the HDD cages or at least move them back for better airflow. Take the fan out of the top and put it in the front so you have two, then add something like a corsair H100i to the top. (or just get some fans to put up there).
    Wont that bung up the case airflow? so the airflow wont be going up towards the CPU. Also as it is my GPU is very very hot, I'm worried more hot air would be pushed on it...

Also, the RV02B-W RV03 and RV04B-W are almost the same in price. 140/110/165.
    Last edited by iggie; 2013-10-06 at 07:26 PM.

Not if you get a case with dual 120's/140's in the front, which you really should. PSU's have low spinning fans anyways, it wont make much difference either way but i was just mentioning it because you seemed to have put antec cases out of the running because you cant put them pointing down.

The arc midi is on sale atm it really is the best choice:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...l%20arc%20midi

@Iggie FT02 and TJ11 are just the ones standing out. The TJ11 isn't really worth it over the FT02 if you don't plan to go watercooling (I won't go water with your ambient temps) since it's much expensiver but it looks aesthetics wise better. They breathe air from the bottom and push hot air through the top out, see here: http://www.silverstonetek.com/images...FT02B-W-07.jpg. Why is this so effective? Well heat raises upwards so yeah its obvious that way is much better, the airflow path is short and since the fans have decent static pressure it makes them even better.

The cases like from Corsair or Antec are just brainless blowing air everywhere and will come with cheap loud fans obviously with poor static pressure since you want to aim to have the air blowing towards your parts and nothing else. The FT02 comes with 3 quality 180mm fans and a cheap 120mm you can replace. There are also ventilation holes for the GPU('s) you can see it from the top view of the case.

Just to illustrate everything:

Cable management might be hard but shouldn't be impossible at all and you still have the option to buy a fully modular psu in the future.

Iggie, psu's suck air in from that fan you see and get pushed out the mesh in the back, not opposite like you are thinking.

@Iggie FT02 and TJ11 are just the ones standing out. The TJ11 isn't really worth it over the FT02 if you don't plan to go watercooling (I won't go water with your ambient temps) since it's much expensiver but it looks aesthetics wise better. They breathe air from the bottom and push hot air through the top out, see here: http://www.silverstonetek.com/images...FT02B-W-07.jpg. Why is this so effective? Well heat raises upwards so yeah its obvious that way is much better, the airflow path is short and since the fans have decent static pressure it makes them even better.

The cases like from Corsair or Antec are just brainless blowing air everywhere and will come with cheap loud fans obviously with poor static pressure since you want to aim to have the air blowing towards your parts and nothing else. The FT02 comes with 3 quality 180mm fans and a cheap 120mm you can replace. There are also ventilation holes for the GPU('s) you can see it from the top view of the case.

Just to illustrate everything:

Cable management might be hard but shouldn't be impossible at all and you still have the option to buy a fully modular psu in the future.
    Sadly, the FT02 is more than double the price of the RV03 there, I don't know if I can justify that to the spouse. I'll certainly make a case (lololol) for it though. All three intake fans really come off the floor? That's just nuts! I notice there is only 1 exit fan though, is this because there is huge air flow from the three intakes?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Iggie, psu's suck air in from that fan you see and get pushed out the mesh in the back, not opposite like you are thinking.
    Yeah woops mixed myself up there. But won't it mess up airflow from the intake?
    Last edited by iggie; 2013-10-06 at 07:51 PM.

Deleted
    the rv03 is basically that minus 1 fan on the bottom, its a lot bigger then you think and the cable management is awesome, the cables protude towards the back panel, and need to be routed through the holes in to the main compartment, and yes, the fans are on the bottom, and those are extremely good fans, try find some videos of it, linus techtips or oc3d have it reviewed and oc3d has a longer video of it

- - - Updated - - -

i should add, the RV02 is exactly the same the the FT02, just the appearance are different , exact same insides