Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ...
40
48
49
50
51
52
60
... LastLast
  1. #981
    Warchief Akraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by fattz View Post
    Akraen
    your guide is amazing.
    got a quick question. Why always wear the tier gloves?
    Also
    As frost, is there ANY value in crit? I know its bottom of the totem pole, but is there even an equivalence of crit to say mastery(while at the 50% haste softcap)? 4 crit = 1 mastery? 5 crit = 1 msty? or is it so worthless that its not even worth considering? i can gain about 1.2% crit while sacrificing only .35% mastery, and also gaining some sp power and int in the process.
    Because tier gloves have haste on them, gloves have less stats on them than helm, chest, & pants, and you need your 2pc unless you're in BiS Haste build. It's the most sensible solution stat-wise to use tier gloves & shoulders, with offpieces in other slots-- but obviously if you can't get a heroic token you work with what you have.

    I and a few others will be discussing the value of crit rating in this and maybe other threads-- this only applies to those with ilvl 580 Purified Bindings of Immerseus because of how crit damage increase influences icicle generation & bomb damage. Please, you, and anyone else reading this thread do not think that crit has a value or place in any stat priority for frost mage unless you are at that gear level. As my guide clearly states, crit's stat weight is insignificant, and you should not be desiring crit on gear or gem/reforges-- ignore crit!

    Now all that said - put stat weights into AMR as described in my guide for the mixture build, going to 14242 haste. Then click optimize. I cannot comment on giving up .35% mastery for 1.2% crit because I don't know the rest of your stats. You can trust my guide.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by nianla View Post
    Hey Akraen,

    I was running in to a issue with my mage recently regarding trinkets. Up until recently I was using Normal PBoI and Flex BBY this put my mastery at about 80% currently and I was pulling what felt like really great numbers using your mixture build.

    I just recently however had Normal KTT drop and from your guide it looked like it is a better trinket in all situations. However I am seeing a drop in damage even after reforging and adjusting for losing the BBY. I can't figure out if getting used to bomb snap shotting with the Garrosh trinket has spoiled me or I am expecting something weird from KTT. Should I be always using the Totem until I see a warforged Black Blood drop? We have a lot of raider switch outs happening as well which may be altering my numbers by altering the time of the fights. Just looking for some input/peace of mind about gearing choices.

    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ianla/advanced Armory
    Really not meaning to be rude but look at this again please:


  2. #982
    Hey Akraen. Just wanted to say thanks. I follow all classes pretty closely (I'm our "casual" guild's raid leader) and I always loved your explanations Wish I could join you guys on Argent, but you're raid times are just an hour too early for me

    Any who, to remain productive, is there an add-on that you recommend to track multi-dotting timers? I boosted my mage to 90 and started playing around with it and even though he's not well geared I'm still trying to follow your guides as best as I can. Biggest thing I found I had issues with was managing multi target bomb timers. Just seemed really tacky and made me angry (as a perfectionist) when I kept letting targets lapse on fights (main issue was protectors).

  3. #983
    Brewmaster durrtygoodz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The big UK
    Posts
    1,376
    I use a mix of 2 things for multi dotting. For dotting up adds and what have you, Tidy Plates does the job. It puts the bomb timer above the nameplate. For dotting multiple bosses, like Protectors, I use the ShadowUnitFrame boss frame, which basically gives me health bars for all the bosses at the side of my screen with DoT timers next to them, and I can just mouse over the bar to reapply NT.

  4. #984
    Warchief Akraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    2,126
    All I use for DoT management is TidyPlates & Magebombtracker.

    For everything else there's TellMeWhen.

    Not a fan of AffDots for snapshotting, I find it isn't as good as simply paying attention to the timers.

  5. #985
    Brewmaster durrtygoodz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The big UK
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post

    Not a fan of AffDots for snapshotting, I find it isn't as good as simply paying attention to the timers.
    +1 and 10 characters

  6. #986
    Thanks durrty and Akraen! I'll check those out. I'm still our guild's MT but I might just have to swap to mage......maybe see if I can swing your guild's raid times and swap to....dirty alliance. xD

  7. #987
    Hey akraen got a quick question regarding full haste build past your 14242... In my head with tons more haste say your sitting at like 15000 haste. Would you lose dps during time warp phases?? Kind of a newb question but it seems like with that high haste during those phases that you cast faster than god and have to wait to cast...so if your off by 1/2 sec wouldn't it lose dps? Could be completely wrong but that's how I see it in my head lol. Thnx in advance

  8. #988
    Warchief Akraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherD87 View Post
    Hey akraen got a quick question regarding full haste build past your 14242... In my head with tons more haste say your sitting at like 15000 haste. Would you lose dps during time warp phases?? Kind of a newb question but it seems like with that high haste during those phases that you cast faster than god and have to wait to cast...so if your off by 1/2 sec wouldn't it lose dps? Could be completely wrong but that's how I see it in my head lol. Thnx in advance
    Just gonna say upfront that this isn't directed at you in particular-- I'm glad you posted and I will answer your question.

    I am sick and tired of this idea being perpetuated mostly on the battle.net forums. It's based off someone (I forget who exactly, a frequent bnet poster) misinterpreting something Lhivera said at the start of patch 5.2, which was along the lines of "Stacking Haste beyond 48-50% causes GCD clipping therefore reducing the value of haste."

    This is a true statement, but worded rather ambiguously, resulting in more forum posts and PM's of me replying to people with the exact same answer than any other question I've received or seen from mages.

    What this means is:
    Beyond 50% haste, the relative stat weight value of haste is lower than it was before 50% haste.
    That reduced value is still roughly on par with mastery, but it's complicated because in 3+ target situations (you can see this visually on my guide--the charts demonstrate it) it's still better than mastery, even though it is lower due to missing the opportunity to further scale the cast times and GCDs.

    So yes, the relative stat value of haste decreases, as in, it's worse than itself-- but it's still good. Now there's even new data suggesting that the value of haste is increased relatively speaking by crit at each bomb tick breakpoint. This only applies to very high gear levels, but I say it only to demonstrate that stat values fluctuate, and the fluctuation means you cannot look at a 3 dimensional problem in 2 dimensions.

  9. #989
    Sorry akraen didn't mean to upset you lol. I just asked Cuz I'm not good at the numbers and theory crafting. That thought just popped in my head while I was using your guide. Much love for this guide....really helps people like me lol

  10. #990
    Warchief Akraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherD87 View Post
    Sorry akraen didn't mean to upset you lol. I just asked Cuz I'm not good at the numbers and theory crafting. That thought just popped in my head while I was using your guide. Much love for this guide....really helps people like me lol
    Haha no you're fine!!

    I just wish I could buy a superbowl ad slot and run a commercial answering that and the "durrr how do i track icicles" question.

  11. #991
    Hello akraen, your guide is the equivalent to harry potter defeating voldemort, but i have a question

    Does a warforged piece trump all? even if it has crit and hit and no haste or mastery?

    Like i have double upgraded ordos neck\shoulders (mastery\hit) if i wanted to go fire would it be worth it to drop 6 ilvls for tier? if i'm using the crafted belt (haste hit) would it be worth it for 6 ilvls to use the crit hit warforged belt off of malkorok? does warforged trump all even the stats aren't what your prioritize due to the intellect gain?

  12. #992
    Akraen,
    Kudos, thanks to your short and sweet explanation original post I was able to pick up a frost spec for farm and I think I've got at least top 100 parses for every fight now after a couple weeks of playing. Question: with a 478 ilvl using two pieces of tier is there any reason to grab HWF off-pieces besides "I've got the biggest ilvl peen" battles? I think Protector robes and Norsushen gloves go to dench already so I guess it's not wildly important either way, but I guess the question is whether the 2 piece is roughly equivalent to the extra item budget. Particularly given that the 2 piece buff is fun when you can leverage it against CoC for a big AOE spike.

    Thoughts?

    Fake-edit: Can't link Armory yet, Soffish on Zul'jin.

  13. #993
    Brewmaster durrtygoodz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The big UK
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by soffish View Post
    Akraen,
    Kudos, thanks to your short and sweet explanation original post I was able to pick up a frost spec for farm and I think I've got at least top 100 parses for every fight now after a couple weeks of playing. Question: with a 478 ilvl using two pieces of tier is there any reason to grab HWF off-pieces besides "I've got the biggest ilvl peen" battles? I think Protector robes and Norsushen gloves go to dench already so I guess it's not wildly important either way, but I guess the question is whether the 2 piece is roughly equivalent to the extra item budget. Particularly given that the 2 piece buff is fun when you can leverage it against CoC for a big AOE spike.

    Thoughts?

    Fake-edit: Can't link Armory yet, Soffish on Zul'jin.
    Do you mean if you should get WF instead of your 2 piece? No. Always use 2 piece. It's a good 2 piece.

  14. #994
    Warchief Akraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    2,126
    Well you can break even with the 2pc if you trade it out with those trash gloves and you get to 28.6k haste. But so far nobody -in the world- can even do that. Drjayfisto is the closest, I'm only a couple items off, too-- but my guild hasn't gotten Heroic Garrosh yet.

  15. #995
    Hey Akraen

    What gearlevel do you recomend for crazy 580 PBoI build or is a matter of having the right HW pieces?

  16. #996
    Warchief Akraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    2,126
    I've got some crazy awesome stuff coming soon. The results are astonishing.

    Looks like you might not even 580. Might even work as low as 561.

    - - - Updated - - -

    http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/5156-frost-super-advanced-guide-to-understanding-crit-rating/

    I'm only going to maintain discussion in one place, and that place is IV. Enjoy the pretty graphs!

  17. #997
    With all due respect, Akraen, your guide is a little messy.

    You have a great deal of information posted in a very small space, and your message is getting a little convoluted. All of your charts are difficult to read, and the flow chart is nearly impossible to follow. It's not that it's a bad guide, but this forum doesn't lend itself well to image posts. All you're doing is complicating your post by making it more difficult to update (you must edit and repost the image as opposed to simply editing a line of text in the post) and ensuring that some information is lost.

    This guide, once again, is invaluable to frost mages. But the way it's presented is conducive to your message.

  18. #998
    Warchief Akraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Exinium View Post
    With all due respect, Akraen, your guide is a little messy.

    You have a great deal of information posted in a very small space, and your message is getting a little convoluted. All of your charts are difficult to read, and the flow chart is nearly impossible to follow. It's not that it's a bad guide, but this forum doesn't lend itself well to image posts. All you're doing is complicating your post by making it more difficult to update (you must edit and repost the image as opposed to simply editing a line of text in the post) and ensuring that some information is lost.

    This guide, once again, is invaluable to frost mages. But the way it's presented is conducive to your message.
    Uh thanks for the feedback?

    1) I don't get paid for this, it's voluntary
    2) I don't do this for a living, I'm no artist nor teacher
    3) I had a version of it that was 5x longer, and people complained about how I didn't just "get to the point" - so I revised the guide with visuals
    4) Perhaps you're just not a visual learner, I suggest you listen to Flight Attendants rather than looking at the Safety Card when you fly.
    5) If I'm not meeting your expectations in this community, by all means help me out

    Further, how can you find it impossible to follow? Seriously. It's an advanced guide. Instead of just coming at me - maybe you can ask some questions? What do you find hard to follow? What can I clarify? Can you provide me anything even remotely useful to improve the guide, help you, or help clarify things to the community?

  19. #999
    Defensive much. Yeesh.

    http://www.twitch.tv/mylilgoatse/ mage challenge modes and heroic raiding

  20. #1000
    Warchief Akraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by citrique View Post
    Defensive much. Yeesh.
    How is that defensive? He complains about the guide and says it's impossible to follow-- but doesn't ask for any clarification.

    So does he understand it? Does he have any questions? I don't get the purpose of his post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •