Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Is Cursive Dying?

I live in MN and as of recent, Cursive has been removed from the curriculum. I HAD to learn cursive in grade school because they said High school ONLY uses cursive( which was false but w/e)

Should Cursive be removed from schools? Do generations after us need to know how to read/write cursive?

Personally I think yes. How will they learn how to sign a signature? Most signatures are in cursive, so they wont be able to read them (not that most are legible anyways).
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    I live in MN and as of recent, Cursive has been removed from the curriculum. I HAD to learn cursive in grade school because they said High school ONLY uses cursive( which was false but w/e)

Should Cursive be removed from schools? Do generations after us need to know how to read/write cursive?

Personally I think yes. How will they learn how to sign a signature? Most signatures are in cursive, so they wont be able to read them (not that most are legible anyways).
    A signature is a random thing you come up with, you can draw a money if you like that to be a signature. Cursive can die for all I care.

Deleted
    I was taught cursive, went to university and got told to write normally, seems like every job requires you to print rather that use cursive.

Thing is I would love to learn cursive, for the life of me I can't create a signature that is similar every time. My current one is ugly as hell and very basic.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post

I work in a job that requires a lot of contract review and most signatures are just scribble...

I believe it to be dying, especially with most things being typed now..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    Thing is I would love to learn cursive, for the life of me I can't create a signature that is similar every time. My current one is ugly as hell and very basic.
    Mine hasn't changed since third grade. It's only gotten smaller. XD

Deleted
    I wasn't blessed with cursive skills either, my signature sucks as well. I think a class specificly for creating signatures would be more usefull then just cursive. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Cursive seems pretty useless

10+ Year Old Account
    Cursive should die. The only reason for cursive originally was that if you knew what you were doing it was a fast to write semi-legible script where you didn't have to lift and lower your pen very often (which could cause ink spots back in the days of quill pens). Now printing works nearly as fast, is more legible, and is more accepted. If you want speed, you can type your letters.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

It's in a dying state. Last time I needed education wise to use it was in the sixth grade,

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to learn it, you can learn it without elementary school teaching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I wasn't blessed with cursive skills either, my signature sucks as well. I think a class specificly for creating signatures would be more usefull then just cursive. :P
    Agreed, due to my father's passing, I had to sign a crapton of legal documents. Problem was I had no signature at that time. My handwritting looks like egyptian hieroglyphs so I just wrote my name as fast as I could :P This is my legal sig for now. But I want to change it to something more elaborate

10+ Year Old Account
    I used cursive in highschool for the first little while... Nobody knew how to read it, so they told me to print instead. That may have a little to do with my poor legibility, but nobody complained when I printed. I'm pretty certain cursive was a construct of trying to write faster, which it is... Compared to printing. But these days we have computers, and typing is much much faster (not to mention easier on the hand), so it's mostly an irrelevant skill now.

I'm pretty sure cursive is dying. And honestly, I'd rather people learn to type more efficiently than learn to write cursive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other than my signature I haven't used cursive since the fifth grade, who happened to be the last teacher to demand it of me.

I write via computer or I write by printing. My cursive is actually worse than my print and it takes longer for me to write in cursive. I hated it as a kid for those two reasons.

Cursive is pointless.
    Putin khuliyo

Sorry to be that guy but, as a non-american, can someone explain what cursive is? I'm sure it's something obvious but can't figure it out

Tbh i heard that cursive isn't the standard in the US... like 3 weeks ago and i was baffled. As austrian the last time i didn't use cursive was in the first grade of elementary school. The thing i don't understand: do americans simply don't handwrite anything anymore or... no i don't get it cursive is atleast twice as fast to write.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    Sorry to be that guy but, as a non-american, can someone explain what cursive is? I'm sure it's something obvious but can't figure it out
    This is cursive:

Deleted
    Joined up hand writing.

Deleted
    Cursive is a style of writing, where you write a word in one go rather than write out each individual letter. I think sometimes its called joined up writing.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is cursive:

And this is print:

I admit, cursive can be more elegant, if you're artistically inclined I suppose, but it's often just as difficult to read as print. And for me I never wrote cursive faster than print, and that's part of the point in cursive.
    Putin khuliyo