Brewmaster Proving Ground Trouble

Hello everyone,

I recently decided to start playing around with proving grounds on my BrM, after a couple attempts I beat the gold, and now I'm struggling to do well in the endless mode, specifically, i struggle to get past wave 16, and the one time i passed it I got killed on 26 (the 3 mantid dudes). I don't think myself to be too bad of a player, (2nd best geared brewmaster on server horde side last I checked), however, I must be missing something on the endless to be dying so quickly. So for any brewmasters out there who have been successful I implore you to spread your strategies so that I might improve.

I typically run a crit build for normal raiding, following the crit > mastery > ~7000 haste build, however Im beginning to transfer to a more mastery heavy build. For talents I use chi wave, leg sweep, and for PG, i use power strikes. For my defensive talents I'm playing around with the brew and dampen harm, and for my offensive im figuring whether RJW or Xuen would be better. I can typically deal with the waves just fine, but once I get to the 3 mantid waves I find myself dying insanely fast. Im saving xuen, 15s EB, leg sweep, and fort brew for them, but I still find myself getting smashed extremely quickly. They kill off Xuen in seconds, and despite cooldowns and purifying anytime I get to medium stagger, and expelling harm as often as I can, i just seem to die.

From what I understand brewmasters typically do extremely well with the PG, which leads me to think that I'm missing some small detail that makes the difference. Therefore, any advice or assistance would be appreciated. Or is that just a really unfair wave of dudes. Haha. Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered.

10+ Year Old Account
    My build for PG which got me to the 40s within a few tries:

Chi Wave
    Ascension
    Healing Elixirs
    Xuen (with taunt on autocast)

Stam/Armour Meta
    Mastery>Crit>haste (mostly fell into place thanks to my current raiding gear set)
    Stam food, stam flask
    Was using bad Juju and renataki's trinkets mostly for lack of anything else useful, would not recommend using RoRo. Hybrid defensive/full defensive trinkets would be the best choice in my opinion.

For the X6 waves in particular, I picked them up first (try to land a good clash by coming in from one side to the opposite mantid), then chucked Xuen on one (to make sure the other two didn't get any ideas), I disarmed one and burn down the one that the NPC chooses to nuke, I will chuck out a leg sweep somewhat early while trying to avoid overlaps with the disarm. I may pop a fort brew if it is particularly dicey. Once the adds are down to two it is usually fairly smooth sailing, though I regularly end up in wave X7 with one of the guys still up and with a reasonable amount of remaining health.

Some people do choose to kite certain waves instead for periods of time, you may have some luck stunning and running for a bit just to give yourself a breather and give your NPC plenty of time to nuke (she does the majority of damage in PG anyway).

Deleted
    I did a post regarding Brewmaster PG in another thread here in the monk forums where I gave some tips which helped me get my rank (wave 108 I belive). What really makes monk exceel (according to me) is our toolkit which can be very helpfull if used properly.
    I ran with momentum (helpfull for kiting, especially combined with rocket boost), chi wave, ascension (though for "only" wave 30, any would do as my ascension tactic boils down to stacking insane amounts of shuffle for the harder waves (I usually have around 13 min of shuffle by wave 60). I also use legsweep, but.I'm starting to lean toeards ox wave, since you just want a few sec of breather and cab kite for a good 5 sec with just 3 sec stun. Also DH for wave 10, definatly needed later on since one attack can almost outright oneshoot you if you dont puriy fast or have guard/DH ready. Also found that RJW helps a ton more with bunking up them ox orbs to give you gat burstheal.

I'll just give you some help on wave 6 since I get the feeling that's the 'only hard wave' you are experiencing right now. What I do is make sure I put down raidmarkers so I can easely keep traxk where all waves spawn, and can get a very early paralysis off (I use it eveytime there are 2 or 3 guys up including atleast one windguy and cc that one.) A full cc, EB and grapple is more than enough for that wave. Maybe a emergancy guard or stun and kite for those wtf moments, but I find that welltimed chiwaves and EH are enough.

Edit: Also, the alt I'm doing PG with is semi-custom-made, with pvp gear and few gemslots, but with the exact stats I want. I'm basiclly running 7,5k crit and 2,4k haste softcap on exp and hit wih 0 mastery.
    Last edited by mmocf9482540e4; 2013-10-08 at 06:23 AM.

Thanks guys! It may sound silly but It didnt even occur to me that I could use paralysis, I feel like that might be a deciding factor in this fight. Naturally you wont be able to kill all 3 before the next wave, but thinking about it now,because her single target is mildly atrocious, but aoe is good, coupled with the fire it might be the deciding factor. For those who use xuen, how do you keep him from dying in 5-6 seconds on that wave?

Deleted
    I did 48 waves the first time I tried and I simply went with RWJ ascension and cm gear with full crit. But I do think Chi brew would have been a better choice. The main thing which kept me alive was just saving as many orbs as possible and being very conservative with cooldowns. I made it till wave 40 without using cooldowns which might be overkill, but you get my drift.

I've tried doing getting endless 30 on my prot warrior, and realized I take way too much damage sometimes (even with 50% mastery). Decided to try my brewmaster and it seemed much easier. Only problem is, I've died on wave 29 maybe 3 times so far. Very frustrating.

Well to update it, I still havent cleared it, but the mantid wave isnt proving as bad anymore now that I realized that I could paralyze one. Now the problem is them carrying over into the next wave, but I feel like with more practice I can get it. That and wave 9 are really the only bad ones

So I'm having another proving grounds problem, but rather than just make a new post, Im gonna just use this one first. Due to earlier advice, im not struggling too terribly with the mantid wave anymore due to using paralysis on one. However, I have now wiped multiple times on wave 29 not because of my death, but that of my healer because mobs are ignoring my taunt.

The strat I use is I place my statue on top of her, then I use the macro

/target Black Ox Statue
    /cast Provoke
    /tagetlasttarget

to taunt the things that get close to her, be it from a midwave monkey, or following a mantid knockback.
    I know this macro works, but half the time it seems like the mobs are ignoring the taunt and continue on her. My most recent wipe, and one that I just said F it and logged off for, was on wave 28, I was doing fantastic, I had all my cooldowns, including xuen for wave 29, but one of the monkeys went for the boss (who was already at about 30-40%, and ignored my taunt, and just popped like 10 bananna spams and killed her. I realize I should probably try to prevent her from getting that low, but she usually takes her damage on wave 27 when I have the 2 wind dudes still up knocking back and dropping aggro (which i swear is more than just for them, ive had other mobs leave me when they do knockback).

Just for sake of comparison, Im using both healing sphere glyphs, and fort brew. Talents now (and Im fond of this actually) are Tigers lust, chi wave, chi brew, leg sweep, healing elixirs (i use that because I frequently find that no charges get used on DH and its wasted) and xuen. I use xuen on waves 2, 6, and 9.

Help me out guys, Ive been at this for a few days now and its getting frustrating. Ive accepted that I suck but blagh.

Deleted
    If you'd go with RJW, that helps alot with the Windguys since they rarely drop from you when you have it activated. As soon as your threat drops, the small damage it does usually aggro them back. Otherwise, you could also use transendance on the healer and get back quick if you ever get flung away. Also, I try to mark up where the monkeys spawn, so that I can easely taunt them as soon as they spawn, and way before they are on top of her. Also, I find kiting this wave pretty good, since the knock-back-aggro-remove thingy has a range, and a stun/roll/speed increase can keep you far enough away for atleast a good 10 seconds.

Thanks everyone for the help, I just got it. I think what was happening is they might have been killing off my statue without me realizing it. Regardless, what dawned on me as a leatherworker is that I was using the dps fur linings/reinforcements that i use for high level. I put them into stamina, gained a solid 20k health or so it seems, and apparently that made the difference. To my knowledge on my server almost nobody has the title so its a cool one to have (I havent seen a single other person with any of the proven titles)

Deleted
    Just managed a pretty good wave now, that I actually managed to record. I'll just post the twitch version of it, never streamed/edited before and can't be arsed to edit now, so it's just raw material. Managed to get to wave 123 and it was pretty nervwracking. And if you ever feel like going harder into PG (as in really pushing the waves), feel free to contact me (you can find my battletag on wowprogress, Bigdeal - Laughing Skull EU).

http://www.twitch.tv/brewmasterbig/b/469557327

From wave 70:

http://www.twitch.tv/brewmasterbig/c/3072539
    Last edited by mmocf9482540e4; 2013-10-12 at 04:51 PM.

Deleted
    Man that is some legit shit.