10+ Year Old Account

Question Am I Too Competitive?

Me and my best friend play a lot of the same games. It's almost as if we are the same person when it comes to gaming, but lately I'm starting to notice things. Whenever me and my friend play the same game (such as World of Warcraft) I tend to get a little too competitive with him. I try to get more achievements than him, and try to win every duel. I am not a douchebag about it, I just hope he doesn't start taking it that way. I've always been a competitive person but when it comes to my passions such as gaming, I need to better as many people as I can. So far it hasn't affected our friendship, but I don't want it to come to that. I tried to 'not care' about being "behind" but it bugs me to no end. I don't have any self confidence or self-esteem issues as far as I know but if I'm not the better of the two I feel "obsolete". Is having a competitive friend a bad thing?

Thanks for reading, and if you gave an answer/comment.

Deleted
    It's perfectly normal behavior.

i dont know i dont have any friends

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I've got a couple of friends like that and we end up striving to improve as a result. Hell I've got one friend who is as argumentative as I am, we've argued for an entire raid once (to the annoyance of some of the people in the raid, but fuck 'em since we were the tanks).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    As long as you positively encourage him to keep up with you i would deem it healthy, when you start bragging about how great you are and how others suck you have crossed the line and become an arrogant ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are paying attention to it, so that's a good sign.

Honestly, it'd depend on the person. I really couldn't stand someone trying to one-up me every 5 seconds just so they say they are. But that's just me: your mileage may vary and all that.

So like. Your friend doesn't know about this MMOC acc and he won't be able to read this, even though you play WoW with him?

Deleted
    I don't think people has an issue with that, as long as you aren't pointing out that you are better than your friend all the time. Competitiveness is good for games, but arrogance is not. You're ok.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to side against what others have said so far and say that eventhough you justify it with your logic that its just to better yourself and you don't want to be "the douchebag", you might already be that in his eyes if you bring up your accomplishments to him. If you see that your friendship starts taking small breaks or whatever you want to call them, that might be the reason why. It sounds to me like you are too competitive and should chill out some.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XanderZone View Post
    Me and my best friend play a lot of the same games. It's almost as if we are the same person when it comes to gaming, but lately I'm starting to notice things. Whenever me and my friend play the same game (such as World of Warcraft) I tend to get a little too competitive with him. I try to get more achievements than him, and try to win every duel. I am not a douchebag about it, I just hope he doesn't start taking it that way. I've always been a competitive person but when it comes to my passions such as gaming, I need to better as many people as I can. So far it hasn't affected our friendship, but I don't want it to come to that. I tried to 'not care' about being "behind" but it bugs me to no end. I don't have any self confidence or self-esteem issues as far as I know but if I'm not the better of the two I feel "obsolete". Is having a competitive friend a bad thing?

Thanks for reading, and if you gave an answer/comment.
    Used to be the same as you about 5 years ago. Don't lose yourself to gaming. If your already starting to feel like your " Behind " or as you said yourself " I need to better as many people as I can." Why is this important? Your never going to be 1st its the sad truth. Mabye you just want to prove that your a cut above the common rabble. Nothing wrong with that but you don't need to lose yourself in doing so. Don't forget to be happy for the people with more than you.

Did you know that most of the best gamers in the world are hidden gems? They don't make youtube videos or are a part of Razer. they don't sell gold guides or brag around. I for 1 have been called such a gamer. 96% on Achievement's, Every farmable mount gotten. The gold cap on 2 toons and half way on my 3rd. etc. I have gone a lot of stuff on WoW my point is you don't have to prove anything to anybody. find out what you want yourself and shoot.

After I "gave up" on trying to be tops I became such a better gamer. I play for myself and do what I want. Nobody tell me if I am behind or not. You should try the same thing buddy! =)
    Last edited by Jaroko; 2013-10-09 at 12:40 AM.
    " The fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom, Therefore he who has no fear of god has no wisdom "
    People saying we are in the end-times really don't know anything. Such as there's going to be 7 years of world peace before it happens and as long as china and russia are still a thing its safe to say its not going to happen anytime soon.

I was like that a bit, but then so were a lot of the people I played with. Now that I don't even have enough time in a day to keep up with most gamers I'm a lot more lax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I don't think it's abnormal to want to be best, although always have to be outshined by a competitive friend could get old after a while. Although if your friend doesn't bother trying to outdo you back then maybe he doesn't care all that much... I just would avoid rubbing it in all the time or anything like that.

Deleted
    Just don't point attention to the fact that you have more achievements etc than him, that would make you sounds like a dick

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    So like. Your friend doesn't know about this MMOC acc and he won't be able to read this, even though you play WoW with him?
    You act like this is the first time someone's made a thread about WoW friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it seems you are just competitive vs the common gamers... Look if you're going to be competitive then aim higher than that.
    Hey everyone

As long as you don't start throwing things around when he kicks your ass in something lol. One of my best friends is a very sore "loser", it doesn't really bother me, I think it's kind of funny tbh and it doesn't last for more then a few minutes. If you go around thinking about it then I think it might become a problem.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-10-09 at 10:38 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...