Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Style.

Mage is a glass cannon, and personally i find it on the boring side of gameplay, with each spec basically being color/graphic pallet shifts of each other.

Warlock specs are very different in playstyle, not just method. Pets are strong enough to make questing and farming/soloing/groups much less of a hassle. I've seen mages do similar things, but they have to kite so much its rather annoying. I can send in my pet, stand still and kill things.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    Style.

Mage is a glass cannon, and personally i find it on the boring side of gameplay, with each spec basically being color/graphic pallet shifts of each other.

Warlock specs are very different in playstyle, not just method. Pets are strong enough to make questing and farming/soloing/groups much less of a hassle. I've seen mages do similar things, but they have to kite so much its rather annoying. I can send in my pet, stand still and kill things.
    Warlock just sends in the pet and deals their damage while having no worries.
    But a Mage must have some skill to take on many more enemies, hm. Sounds like Mage can be a class to master, thanks for the info.

Deleted
    Warlocks have to cast in arena, mages don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael the Impatient View Post
    But a Mage must have some skill to take on many more enemies, hm. Sounds like Mage can be a class to master, thanks for the info.
    These are the posts I was talking about.

This is nothing but inflammatory.

It's what I've been asking myself since the beginning of MoP. There hasn't been much of a difference until patch 5.4 in my opinion, and even then the concept of execution seems to be the same in PvP at least

Whats the difference between milk chocolate and dark chocolate?

Personally I found frost most appealing (this was after playing them all pretty extensively.) Instants, combos and kiting are quite fun. I never could get the hang of Fire without addons (and I wouldn't use them) and Arcane has become too cut and dry to get excited about.

Plus you get a water elemental (which has some drawbacks in pet management).

I really doubt the OP's intention was to get informed....
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Mages have swag........warlocks have style!

#yolo

Some serious things going on with you guys, I'm sorry. Looking at Rayaleith, not sure why you come up with saying things like this but whatever.

But as I said in the other topic in the Mage subject, I thanks for the info. And the feedback in Mage topic helped me decide that Mage was the class I wanted to play. And I am, cheers.

The end for me.

Deleted
    I cannot believe you just used mage and skill in the same sentence. Have fun in LFR friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebmyers View Post
    I cannot believe you just used mage and skill in the same sentence. Have fun in LFR friend.
    All classes take skill to play.
    for example
    as a warlock you have to keep track of dots and procs and secondary resources and pets and 10min cd pets and opening rotation and normal rotation and execution rotation and gate utility and sp debuff

mages have it just as hard because you have to make sure you are facing the boss when you spam your 3 buttons

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badahs View Post
    All classes take skill to play.
    for example
    as a warlock you have to keep track of dots and procs and secondary resources and pets and 10min cd pets and opening rotation and normal rotation and execution rotation and gate utility and sp debuff

mages have it just as hard because you have to make sure you are facing the boss when you spam your 3 buttons
    I don't know why, but I can't stop laughing right now. Coworkers are starting to stare at me.

Are they mages? Burn them.

Warlocks are for boys and Mage for girls.

Jk, I think mages are the default glass cannon class and warlock are more "bruiser caster" or something like that.

Lore-wise I really enjoy way more Warlocks than mages.

Mages don't deal shadow damage (afaik).

Although I would say it's much like the fact that "all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares".

A Warlock is essentially a [former] mage (or shaman for the orc race), but not all mages are warlocks.
    Last edited by Gangplank; 2013-10-10 at 02:23 PM.

Most Warlocks are former mages that decided to take their power to the next level and dip into forbidden magics.

Lore wise, Warlocks are mages that were not afraid to harness the power of fel-magic.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

Deleted
    The thing is: You are comparing a class that recently got a complete overhaul with a class that didn't.
    Before MoP or even Cata, all three lock specs felt relatively similar too (especially compared to now) - sure, there always was a difference, but I wouldn't say that it was much bigger than the difference between today's mage specs.

Seriously, most of the replies here are pathetic,OP wanted to know the difference in terms of class significance as a whole not what the classes can do and what flavor bullshit you guys are coming up with, no wonder the guy went to roll a mage.

As stated above ( I'm glad there's at least some people who remember), warlocks were mages who wanted more power, so they gave up on their ethical code to dabble in the dark arts.

The warlock class symbolizes power.
    The mage class symbolizes mastery.

I doubt he wanted to know anything about specs, he just wanted to know what the classes represent as an image.

For example, in vanilla mage specs were about different elements of their mastery choice, frost for control, fire for volatile raw damage, arcane for empowerment, obviously things changed since then, but I believe deep down in the core it is still fundamentally the same.

all warlock specs are about power, simply different choices. affliction is the path to corruption, destruction is obviously as it's name states, and demonology is about the true power of demons, all of which are paths to power for the warlock class which is it's true symbol.
    Last edited by wholol; 2013-10-10 at 05:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the feedback in Mage topic helped me decide that Mage was the class I wanted to play. And I am, cheers.

The end for me.
    Well since you decided what you wanted and don't need any more info I'll just close this flamebaity thread. There's little use discussing the subject for an original poster that has allready made up his/her mind.

CLOSED.