Thread: Columbus day ?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    He made a discovery that changed the curse of history, thats what we celebrate.

Are you going to ask why non Christians celebrate Christmas next?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    Are you going to ask why non Christians celebrate Christmas next?
    Loot, they want their epic purples!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Is Stalin or ... Pol Pot or someone like that was the one who planted the seed of modern day America, would you be ok with worshiping them? Because, you know, Columbus is actually just under dictators like them.

Yes, the difference is that Vlad's country was being invaded by the Ottomans, so he defended his people from those who wanted to make them preety much their slaves. As best he could.

On the other hand, Columbus is actually the invader. So he's the one disrupting the life of the people living there and taking them to be slaves...
    Well, Columbus isn't worshipped here, most people don't give 2 shits about him. The holiday specifically celebrates the landing, the holiday is the day he landed, not his birthday like so many other people we have holidays named after. American as a country did far worse things to the natives yet we celebrate the founding of the country. Americans imprisoned, enslaved, committed genocide against natives, sterilized them and stole everything they had. I'm sure whichever country you're from in Europe is descended from angels though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirzy View Post
    He made a discovery that changed the curse of history, thats what we celebrate.
    No he didn't.
    He didn't discover anything.

Ah Columbus day. When is it? Today of course! Do you guys know how I knew that? There are exactly two ways people remember the date of this holiday. 1, they try to go someplace that is closed because of the holiday. Shit I guess today is a holiday or something. 2, They are told on thursday or Friday that they don't have to work on monday. Sweet! I guess Monday is some holiday or some shit.

There is nothing else. Ok, maybe 50 people in the country give a shit about it being Columbus Day for the sake of it being Columbus Day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    No he didn't.
    He didn't discover anything.
    Is this the same sort of semantic argument as "no one invented fire?"
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Ah Columbus day. When is it? Today of course! Do you guys know how I knew that? There are exactly two ways people remember the date of this holiday. 1, they try to go someplace that is closed because of the holiday. Shit I guess today is a holiday or something. 2, They are told on thursday or Friday that they don't have to work on monday. Sweet! I guess Monday is some holiday or some shit.

There is nothing else. Ok, maybe 50 people in the country give a shit about it being Columbus Day for the sake of it being Columbus Day.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this the same sort of semantic argument as "no one invented fire?"
    You must be one of those people who thinks everyone thought the world was flat back then?

I don see why any other country besides Spain should celebrate it. Never have I had a day off for Columbus Day. To me its on the same level as any other random ass day. It is weird to me how this is suddenly a thing to talk about.

You must be one of those people who thinks everyone thought the world was flat back then?
    Um not really. OK granted he didn't really "discover" anything, nor did he ever really even see north America, but expansion of European culture into the western hemisphere started after he sailed the ocean blue, right?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    I don see why any other country besides Spain should celebrate it. Never have I had a day off for Columbus Day. To me its on the same level as any other random ass day. It is weird to me how this is suddenly a thing to talk about.
    The thread was started by a European. Americans never cared about today, its just a day off for some people. Unfortunately you appear to live in CA(like me) and we don't get the day off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather we celebrate Leif Erikson day.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Columbus gets way too much credit and way too much criticism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Um not really. OK granted he didn't really "discover" anything, nor did he ever really even see north America, but expansion of European culture into the western hemisphere started after he sailed the ocean blue, right?
    He gave Spain a new land to expand into when their expansion in Muslim territories didn't work out too well, so yes, his "discovery' while not the first, was definitely the launching point for European expansion into the Americas.

Deleted
    Call us back when you sail with a boat made of timber following currents never navigated before.

Quote Originally Posted by frumper View Post
    I'm sure whichever country you're from in Europe is descended from angels though.
    At least it's not as bad as this:
    American as a country did far worse things to the natives yet we celebrate the founding of the country. Americans imprisoned, enslaved, committed genocide against natives, sterilized them and stole everything they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    At least it's not as bad as this:
    When "Americans" did many of those things they were called Europeans. The USA is an infant in the world, Europe has a far bloodier history.

Deleted
    When "Americans" did many of those things they were called Europeans. The USA is an infant in the world, Europe has a far bloodier history.
    Also far longer. Which might contribute. Lets say the USA started on the right foot.

- - - Updated - - -

Also no natives were exterminated by Americans too. I mean, proper independent Americans.

I think everyone really over estimates the level of celebration that goes down over this. I for one didn't get the day off. Second not much was really said about it on the news besides maybe a "Good morning, its Monday, October 14th, Columbus day!" and then for the most part it was back to "Democrats/Republicans suck" depending on who owns the news outlet.

To be honest I didn't know it was Columbus day until I got to work and some guy was complaining about his kids staying home from school today and messing the house up. I asked why. He told me why. Columbus day. I don't even think Google did a little theme for it like it does for most holidays.

Right.. no celebration. Just some day Feds, banks, and schools use to excuse in one of the many days off they get. Not much more.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...f-Wounded-Knee

The indigenous people were being exterminated up until the begging of the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...f-Wounded-Knee

The indigenous people were being exterminated up until the begging of the 20th century.
    I never said they weren't. Native Americans were being sterilized until the 1970s by the US Government. Europe has still killed far more people, enslaved far more people, and brutalized far more people. I just pointed out that it started with Europeans. For a European to complain about how Americans treated natives is beyond laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Also far longer. Which might contribute. Lets say the USA started on the right foot.
    What can I say? We learned from the best.