Poll: Would your taste for tourism change in result of this?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb Fully immesive Virtual Reality, Would your taste for Travel change?

What would you do with such technology if you had access to it? What would you like to do with it? and would you still be interesting in traveling in physical reality?
    Inside a future fully immersive virtual reality, you would be able to experience for example: Paris France in all it's glory and landmarks, you would be able to feel the wind blows, taste the food, the sound, the textures of the city just as if you were physically there. Computational power will reach a point in which you could simulate all of Earth's landscape and landmarks to of indistinguishable from the real Earth. You would have access to all these landscapes without traveling thousands of miles. You would not use a mouse or keyboard to experience it (although you maybe given such an option) to control you new body. You would control your virtual body just as you would control your physical body through physical reality.

Ray Kurzweil makes speculations about the future of computer/video games.
    He speculates in the coming decades. This is just a prediction based on current and past technological growth, but he has made many accurate predictions in the past so he has a high case of credibility.

"we're going to put it in our eyeglasses, it'll be memory images right to a retina and put us in a three dimensional full immersion visual auditory environment so rather being in here it'll be three dimensional and all of three dimensional out there will be in this three dimensional environment and will be able to walk around and we're like, to feel like we'll be able to look at ourselves but wouldn't necessarily have the same body that we have in real reality and it'll become more and more realistic, "

few decades on " nanobots, these blood cell size devices will be going in our bodies keeping us healthy from inside. We'll have some go inside our brains to the capillaries not invasive, there would be interacting with our biological neurons so it'll extends our memory, our decision making faculties, put our brains on the internet and they also enable us to enter virtual reality environment from within the nervous system. So, for on to go in the virtual reality environment, the nanobots will shut down the signals coming from I realize in my real skin and create the signals that will be appropriate for the virtual environment and that will feel like I'm in that environment and I'll have a virtual body and those environment could be the same body I have in real reality, it could be a different body "

Essentially, he speculates eventually virtual reality will have the potential to be so realistic that it will be just like physical reality from a feel/sight/touch/sense perspective. But will experience custom made laws of physics and landscapes.
    Inside such virtual worlds, we would be able to create land masses and planets that the laws of physics will not allow. such as floating land masses like the Outlands of World of Warcraft and the movie Avatar. We will be able to have a very realistic but different body from one of physical reality. Right now I am a 5 ft 8 male, inside such reality I could redesign myself as a very attractive female run-away model look for instance.

Video below sums up his prediction.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2013-10-13 at 10:48 PM.

Deleted
    I would use it for sexual purposes only.

10+ Year Old Account
    +1 to RICH.

I love the fact of traveling, too bad I don't make enough to travel as much as I'd like to. But if this becomes a thing, sign me up.

Video games. Sword Art Online here I come!

no keyboards, no mice, no nonsense.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deleted
    I agree with Rich.

It would be interesting to look into. Would be good for those who are unwilling or unable to travel far.

Deleted
    Ok, so how about this, you take drugs in the real world, then hook yourself up into the virtual world and you take drugs there aswell?

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what....
    There's a saying that goes "it's not about the destination as much as it is about the way you get there". Given, I've never heard it in english but it's quite common around here.

So yeah, that pretty much explains it. You can't make memories with friends in a virtual environment. You can't get drunk and do something incredibly stupid that you will later remember fondly.
    It's not about the destination...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    Essentially, he speculates eventually virtual reality will have the potential to be so realistic that it will be just like physical reality from a feel/sight/touch/sense perspective. But will experience custom made laws of physics and landscapes.
    Inside such virtual worlds, we would be able to create land masses and planets that the laws of physics will not allow. such as floating land masses like the Outlands of World of Warcraft and the movie Avatar. We will be able to have a very realistic but different body from one of physical reality. Right now I am a 5 ft 8 male, inside such reality I could redesign myself as a very attractive female run-away model look for instance.
    Anyone else feels like technology is more and more, day by day, ruining social experiences?
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

If I can get to Virtual realm and experience basically all the same for possibly lesser price, and can taste the food etc, then yes, ofc. Real traveling can hook you up with good or bad ppl and will cost a lot more money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Anyone else feels like technology is more and more, day by day, ruining social experiences?
    I agree and I feel like I'm an old man yelling at clouds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I agree and I feel like I'm an old man yelling at clouds.
    I saw your article in the paper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I saw your article in the paper.

Thanks for exposing my inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    You know what....
    There's a saying that goes "it's not about the destination as much as it is about the way you get there". Given, I've never heard it in english but it's quite common around here.
    "It's not the destination, it's the journey."
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

I don't believe you will ever be able to cheat yourself into believing virtual reality to be real, and unless you believe it's real, the real thing would be better (think sex and travel)

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    "It's not the destination, it's the journey."
    "Its the cliiiimb"

I'm sorry for you if you got the reference

Yeah no, I'd still take real life traveling any day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Give me a virtual reality where I can fly and yea, sure.

Deleted
    VR trip to a Paris would be dull. Fantasy worlds to explore or wargames with very realistic settings, if you can handle it Would be cool to hear someone afraid of playing them. Think about happily driving a tank then suddenly AT missile penetrates the tank and disables its engine. Now the commander is jelling orders to gunner and to you to at least try something before any new missile hits. That is if the first one didn't cook your tank and the whole crew.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would only be interested if they can create a "virtual" Middle-Earth. If not, then count me out.
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

Deleted
    I'm still young so it would prob only serve for stuff I can either not find irl or really hard. At older age that might change though, I'd maybe even consider living in virtual reality if I was really old.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the future is obesity sitting around.