Few thok / raid questions.

My comp is
    Prot paladin - Me
    Blood dk

Dps:
    Feral druid - sometimes bear
    Moonkin
    Two destro warlocks (they never go affliction)
    Ret paladin

Healers:
    Resto shaman
    Disc priest
    Resto druid / H pally

I have a few dps that seem to be under performing. We were on Thok tonight and couldn't get it below 85% by the end of the first phase 1. Is this ok or do we need to get him further down before first transition? We have two warlocks, neither have the legendary meta. How likely is this to mess us up damage wise further into SoO? Also, what is the better spec for them to use in Thok, and which final talent?

As for tanks, does the tanking legendary actually have a use on this fight? It doesn't strike me as having a use since if you are gonna die, you're gonna die. I don't forsee the proc actually saving them when almost instantly after saving them from what would be a kb, they would die right after words from the quick aoe and the lack of being able to heal (first part of thok).

Is there a fight later on where the tank cloak will actually make a difference vs the mitigation a prot paladin would get via the dps one?

Deleted
    About the legendary cloak.. The big hit or small hit that kills you is ignored.. So when you are at 199k hp health and you get a 200k swing to the face.. after the swing you still remain at 199k hp but the cloak will have used its proc.. So its just a failsafe.. and in 10m much more usefull with less resses and the fact that its a long run after a whipe at Thok..

Then Thok.. We solo tank it cause the only thing you really need a second tank for is the ice tomb.. if everyone instantly switches its no problem.. The second transition we try to make it as long as possible (more then 12 stacks)..

Quote Originally Posted by chown View Post
    About the legendary cloak.. The big hit or small hit that kills you is ignored.. So when you are at 199k hp health and you get a 200k swing to the face.. after the swing you still remain at 199k hp but the cloak will have used its proc.. So its just a failsafe.. and in 10m much more usefull with less resses and the fact that its a long run after a whipe at Thok..

Then Thok.. We solo tank it cause the only thing you really need a second tank for is the ice tomb.. if everyone instantly switches its no problem.. The second transition we try to make it as long as possible (more then 12 stacks)..
    That makes the proc seem a lot more interesting. So it is viable on thok when most of the time at higher stacks (where our tank deaths happen) the healers are pretty much silenced.

Deleted
    It could be a healer problem as well, if they are unable to keep you in p1 for a reasonable amount of time. How many stacks does the boss have when you transition into p2? It should be easy with your healer comp though, shamans and druids are very strong on that fight.

We ran 2 Heal and 2 Tank for this.
    Stack up at the side of Thok and heal like crazy. Once the cast starts getting fast and you can't fit 2 casts inside (speaking from a Hpally POV) pop a CD, and then start cycling through them. Make sure to make use of other CD's too, spirit link, Demo banner, rallying cry etc. But don't pop them all at once. You can also bubble / BoP a healer or dps to allow them free-casting for a few seconds.
    We get Thok to around 60% I think before transition, but we aren't really paying too much attention on farm, and could easily get him lower.

Your Prot/Holy/Ret should all time their Devo Aura so that you have a LONG time of free casting, and then they should chain BoP's on the casters (prio healers)
    If your boomking gets a BoP he could tranq (loss of dmg but it could extend the phase nicely if you want to)
    I would also have people save their Healthstone till later in the phase, when it's more likely a healer will get interupted (would be good if the healer could call it out so people know, but the time-window is short)

If you use your Hpally, have him spec EF and HA. tell him not to use LoD (other healers can cover that) but to spam HR/HS and get 3 point EF up on people (prio to those with less hp).

Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    It could be a healer problem as well, if they are unable to keep you in p1 for a reasonable amount of time. How many stacks does the boss have when you transition into p2? It should be easy with your healer comp though, shamans and druids are very strong on that fight.
    We three heal it. I get two stacks of the debuff, then my ot gets two stacks, then I get another stack.

During the second phase 1 with the ice, im lucky to survive 4stacks with cds active.

Deleted
    We killed it last night on our first night on him, 3 heals (disc disc drood) 2 tanks (warrior drood) 5 dps (warlock, shadow-priest, hunter, rogue, monk)

85% is too high at the end of P1, we were getting him at 68-70% at this time, but we all have our legendary cloak though. (exept our hunter i think)

You really want the first phase to last as long as possible, using all your raid and personnal cooldowns. Second p1 will be short but the third will be long again since cooldowns will be up.

As a warlock, i can tell you the legendary meta is a huuuuge dps increase, maybe 15% more dps. I was playing affliction, it's a good spec as your dots are still ticking when you have to stop casting.
    And for the final talent, i was playing with KJC to keep dpsing him during p2, but AD may be better if they're good with it.

EDIT :If they don't already do it, they should glyph and use Unending resolve so they can freecast during 6 sec on every P1.
    Last edited by mmoc4a7df219e1; 2013-10-11 at 08:15 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    We three heal it. I get two stacks of the debuff, then my ot gets two stacks, then I get another stack.

During the second phase 1 with the ice, im lucky to survive 4stacks with cds active.
    I ment the stacks the boss gets whenever he does the roar. It's a good indication of how long you have been in the phase (and thus how long the dps has had the time to do damage to him).
    You should at least try to get over 20 stacks (so 20+ roars). You could probably go higher with 3 healers and a shaman/druid. Like Anolith said, use cd's properly so you can get to that point.
    If you currently do get to that point and the dps still only manage to get the boss to 85% then it's definitely a dps problem. If you drop the phase after only 5 roars then you need to fix the healing/cd rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I have a few dps that seem to be under performing. We were on Thok tonight and couldn't get it below 85% by the end of the first phase 1. Is this ok or do we need to get him further down before first transition? We have two warlocks, neither have the legendary meta. How likely is this to mess us up damage wise further into SoO? Also, what is the better spec for them to use in Thok, and which final talent?
    As far as this goes I can tell you what my guild did. First kill last night, and we ended up going 1-tank (blood dk, but other classes are equally capable). 3 healers including my holy pally, a resto druid and a mistweaver.

For phasing, we were ~70% at the end of P1. I used Hand of Protection on our druid so he could get a full tranquility cast off. Devotion aura and divine shield also prevent the interrupt and spell lock so have your pally use those as much as possible when the roars are coming in faster. It will let you push longer in P1 and get more damage on him.

You want caster dps to try and run a burst rotation to avoid the spell lock if they can. Have thok on focus and switch to instant casts when he hits 100 energy and anything you can do to prevent getting spell locked since that's a huge dps loss. In P2, range should focus boss while melee and tanks deal with the jailer. Keep this phase going as long as you can safely. For us, this was about 10 fixates depending who is fixated later on. Stampeding roar, body and soul, etc. can let you extend this phase.