New Computer Build - Please Advise!

Hey guys,
    My husband and I are looking to buy a new computer. He is able to assemble them so we were going to buy parts and build at our house. Below is a list of items he was initially thinking of buying. We mostly play WoW, but he plays some other games as well. We want to keep as close to $1,000 as we can. We have a mouse and keyboard already and an external 1TB hard drive and windows 7 installation disc.

One of my biggest pet peeves is slow response time opening programs. My husband said that having a SSD would alleviate this issue. Is he correct?

He chose the power supply to support dual graphics cards if we ever wanted to go that route.

Anyways, please provide any feedback you can! Thanks!

Link to computer hardware:
    http: //pcpartpicker.com/p/1Ot5o
    It would not let me insert the link, so I added a space after http:

If you are going to build something now i'd advised against that processor. Its very outdated. If you intend to play MMO's many are CPU bound and that one just doesn't cut it anymore and will only get worse going forward.

An SSD will help with the load times yes.

Is there any processor you recommend? All the intels I see are 100$ more.

You can drop the SSD to a 120GB and it should be under $1k, otherwise this should last you for a while and perform alot better in WoW having a Intel processor instead of a AMD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($177.72 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1075.62
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-13 21:33 EDT-0400)
    Last edited by tielknight; 2013-10-14 at 01:37 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Tielknight's build looks perfect, but save yourself ~$70 and drop that 7970 to a 7950. No where near worth $70 for the small performance increase. A small overclock will net the same performance. That'll get you to the 1k range you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiromar View Post
    Tielknight's build looks perfect, but save yourself ~$70 and drop that 7970 to a 7950. No where near worth $70 for the small performance increase. A small overclock will net the same performance. That'll get you to the 1k range you want.
    True, if you overclock the 7950 about ~10% to the same(ish) speeds as the 7970, the difference will only be about ~4% instead of about ~13%(according to 3dmark benches). One like this or this should work quite well.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2013-10-14 at 03:33 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving this to the build/upgrade forum!
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab