Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    No definitely not, unless you've played every Xbox 360 and PS3 game out there. Even if this is going to be someone's first console I say just get a PS3 or Xbox 360 instead for now and play their games until they drop the price of the PS4 or when they come out with a better model. Plus Sony is actually going to keep supporting the PS3 for a couple more years after PS4's launch so they'll probably still be making new games on the PS3 along with the PS4. It's really not worth spending $400 just to play a handful of PS4 games. If you're going to get a PS4 at least wait until more games for it come out and when the games that came out at launch drop in price.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-10-15 at 10:40 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    i took the wii U as example because people were bashing the console for it's lack of games and such.
    but as i already said in my last post: if you enjoy the launch lineup, go for it.

of course it depends on what people want to spend and how much money they have in general. but that is not the question here. the op asked whether or not it is necessary and i tried helping him to decide if he should get the console.

i find it hillarious that now i get bashed for recommending not to buy the console on launch ^^
    Didn't really intend to "bash", just didn't find the WiiU example relative to the OP. Instead you gave a list of why not to buy consoles in general which is based on how you view early purchases (which isn't the same in everyones' eyes).

He's pretty much asking if Sony will end their support on the PS3, and basing that as whether its necessary to get the PS4. Several people already answered that and I'll say it again: Sony will continue with PS3 support and game line up.

I don't think I've _ever_ bought a new console right on launch. I'm always going to wait for a price drop. I've leaned more towards PC gaming these days, and while I do still enjoy my consoles, I don't enjoy them enough to drop $400+ on one.

Plus, there's always going to be some kind of bullshit hardware problem like Red Ring of Death, etc, on launch stuff. I've had an XBox 360 with a Red Ring of Death, which got an extended warranty because of how common the problem was, so Microsoft took care of that for me. Also had a PS3 with a Yellow Light of Death, but Sony basically told me to go fuck myself. Luckily, I managed to fix it myself with a little help from YouTube. So I've had bad luck with that kind of thing and figure waiting for newer hardware versions to release will help.

Also, I'm pretty sure your online capabilities with a PS3 aren't going away any time soon.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-10-17 at 02:33 PM.

Nope, they are still going to support the Playstation 3 for a few more years at best. I'm holding out for PS4 till they announce Uncharted 4

Deleted
    Im waiting at least 6 months so they can put out a new revision of hardware. Launch consoles usually have bugs, are rushed to the shelves and have poor fit and finish imo.

op probably even needs help to decide wich socks to wear in the morning :>

Deleted
    If you have a PC it was never necessary to have a Console. My last console was a N64 and that will be my last one forever!

This is pretty uncanny actually.

Every time I refresh the homepage and there's a stupid looking thread in the recent activity frame, I open in a new tab to see who could be regaling me with their stupid.

Almost every time it's Salandrin

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    op probably even needs help to decide wich socks to wear in the morning :>

This is pretty uncanny actually.

Every time I refresh the homepage and there's a stupid looking thread in the recent activity frame, I open in a new tab to see who could be regaling me with their stupid.

Almost every time it's Salandrin
    You know what, this is why I am considering quitting WoW for good. You end up with people like this and it's just a waste of everyone's time. You know if you both are so snide over opinions on an online forum I know of a lovely herbal remedy that can help you chill out.

That being said, I love this topic because I am in the same situation. As for the OP, I was smoking and having a conversation with some fellow co-workers after work one evening at a friends house and we pretty much all came to the same conclusion: Just wait. Not only will be cheaper, you don't run into the notorious problems launch consoles have (over heating, red rings of death, etc.) but it will (hopefully) be cheaper. This is a perfect time for someone like me: I am looking for PS3 and with the PS4 coming out I should be able to either get one cheap from a store, or a pawn shop.

My advice, definitely wait. Just enjoy what you have, and after reading this topic. It is almost a no-brainer to wait.