Artist Banksy sells his work on the streets on NYC

I find it highly amusing that famous street artist tries to sell his work anonymously on the streets of Manhattan and only manages to sell 8 pieces which each could be worth up to 100K EACH!.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/14/living...html?hpt=hp_c3

Talk about bargain of the century for the people who bought them!

I understand the statement he was making basically his work is actually worthless and that its his hype that makes them priceless.

Deleted
    Damn that guy who bought 4 is going nuts once he finds out about this

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a fan of his work and I wouldn't have believed they were real, especially considering how many ripoff you can find on ebay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    Damn that guy who bought 4 is going nuts once he finds out about this
    It seems this selling overpriced stuff works rather well 240$ a Day

Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    People's names carry too much weight in all forms of art, reminds of of the time that harry potter person wrote a book anonymously.
    Stephenie Meyer?

10+ Year Old Account
    There will now be dozens of copy cat dealers on NYC streets. He just made a bunch of people a lot of money.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    There will now be dozens of copy cat dealers on NYC streets. He just made a bunch of people a lot of money.
    The irony is just cause he said he wouldnt do it again doesnt mean he actually wont maybe it could be a double Bluff

God the art world is fucking crazy and i bet every trendy art seller will be racing to these street dealers to authenticate now

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of this guy, and I only saw the screengrab but that's pretty much exactly what I would expect to see for $60 on a table in Central Park. Neat story tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Banksy's work; he tries to put some effort into making it politically and culturally relevant, as opposed to shit like Damien Hirst who just tries to use shock value - the Miley Cyrus of art.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loli ninja eating pizza View Post
    People's names carry too much weight in all forms of art, reminds of of the time that harry potter person wrote a book anonymously.
    Peoples names carry too much weight everywhere, not just on art.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I saw the story on that this morning. Honestly, without the name attached to it, the art looked mediocre at best from what I saw at the stand. Maybe it isn't my thing, but it looked extremely basic and rather bland.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    Peoples names carry too much weight everywhere, not just on art.
    Yeah, asa akira is actually meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Never heard of this guy, and I only saw the screengrab but that's pretty much exactly what I would expect to see for $60 on a table in Central Park. Neat story tho.
    Banksy is a world famous graffiti/street artist known for his works of political satire and dark humour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Banksy is a world famous graffiti/street artist known for his works of political satire and dark humour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy
    I get it, and I could appreciate that work hanging on my wall for $60, maybe even a couple hundred bucks. I can also understand people paying 6 or 7 or 8 figures for a piece, maybe not a Banksy piece..but hey more power to the guy.

After watching a few seconds of the video, I do remember seeing the guy throwing the 'molotov bouquet'

10+ Year Old Account
    So, normal people apparently don't think to highly of grafitti art? Considering it's generally free on every other corner in NYC.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    I still think artists should create for sake of creativity not money. Yeah they need to afford nice living but not riding golden choppers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I saw the story on that this morning. Honestly, without the name attached to it, the art looked mediocre at best from what I saw at the stand. Maybe it isn't my thing, but it looked extremely basic and rather bland.
    It's art, it doesn't have to look good. It's about his message that he wants to get over.

Anyway this remind me about that story of 1 of the best Violon players in the world, who just anonymously played his Violin in a subway or something, no one gave a single shit about him apart from a 5 year old kid or something. In the "normal" world people pay 1000's of dollars to see this guy play. In a normal everyday environment no one gives a damn.

Art is about the environment, the time etc. people have no time for this in their daily routine.

I'd love a Banksy piece against my wall, doesn't have to be original either.