H Thok- Holy viable?

Does anyone have some experience on this boss here yet?

My guild is progressing on it now. This fight screams blue chakra holy to me, but I'm having trouble finding a comfortable rhythm with the interrupts and the chakra choice. On one hand you cant just stay in blue chakra and spam ProH all day when the Screeches get too fast, and you cant use yellow chakra too effectively either since using cascade over star just to refresh renew probably isn't worth it.

Also there are essentially 0 holy logs on this encounter. I'm almost positive a well played holy is the way to go here with proper execution and chakra choice. I will keep experimenting (getting boss to 50% or so 40 wipes in).

Based on logs it seems that priests are weak in general on this encounter but kills that have included a healer priest usually have a disc priest buffering health bars and letting hot classes carry them in true throughput, allowing them to soak very higher screech numbers. This seems effective with the right healing comp.

Any other input would be great to hear.

Edit- Is 10 man. Running resto sham, holy pally, myself. Only 1 pally in raid.
    Last edited by Robfornow; 2013-10-15 at 06:37 AM.

If you have a Druid or Shaman, I suggest Disc.

If not, I suggest Holy. Just from my personal experience.

Also depends whether or not you have a Paladin(s) to HoP you for Divine Hymn.

FDCL procs for quick PoH's, and with *just* enough haste, you can get PoH off inbetween Screeches if you time them right.

Edit: 10man perspective...not sure what you're raiding.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

10 man, resto shaman + holy pally (only pally in raid). Thanks for the advice!

10+ Year Old Account
    We did it with Disc, Resto Druid and Holy Paladin, but we had 3 paladins so 28 sec of free casting every time. The Disc was there for the barrier, really.

Deleted
    I was thinking of going holy for this fight, but i decided to stay disc due to absorbs actually being a big factor here.
    If you promptly want to be holy for this i think having a paladin for a HoP is a must, so you can actually use your hymn later on without getting interrupt.
    As other players already said FDCL is very strong as well, to get faster PoH casts, the click-able renew might be worth it as well, since it can be used as a cd in the healing rotation. As last tier talent i would say Divine Star is a must.

As disc i used power infusion for our very first kill, but for our farm kills i've been using ToF.

I have a recorded video from this weeks clear, we use rsham,hpala and disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhcr739GGRQ

check it out and feel free to ask questions =)

Yours, Gottan.

Deleted
    (sorry in advance for the around rambling)

We have experimented quite alot with this encounter, swapping classes and and tried to figure out how to take the controle over the fight. When it comes to killing it alot has come down to using the right phase to push depending on dps setup. If melee Heavy having longer phase 1 is more benefitial but if range Heavy not as much, where we even been in situations making phase 1 too long to be benefitial.

counting the phases you would need to push minimum 15% each phase (the more the better since it gives more space later for things to go not as planned). Our aim is to be able arround 20% first phase and with goal he should have around or less than 10% for last.
    Anyhow, this comes down to take controll of when to push the phases and find where the limits of handling goes.

Regardless of healing setup we had we found that the limit goes around when tanks get the 4th debuff, some setups has been able to push and keep the raid up longer BUT since the screetches tends to accelerate and they cant keep that up we tend to loose a player or two. So even if we could take that cance trying to push a bit more in phase 1 it takes away the steadyness and Control. So we have come to the decition of this not beeing an option or goal (atm) since we still can get him down its simply not Worth it (with the dps setup we have). The trickiest part is the second go of first phase with the debuffs Rolling, specially at the transition (from fixate to 1st) to stabilize the raid Before he's screetches eats them (ppl really love spreading as headless chickens all over the Place sometimes xD).

So to the priest PoV, both holy and disc has their advantages and weakpoints, and yes as pointed above that depends alot on the rest of the healersetup. Disc def has its + in beeing able to shiledup in start of phases 1 so hotters has time to get their hots Rolling. Since this is a fight where you want the raid to be synced in Health and dimps/spikes def can be leathal. This is definitly very nice later into fight at the transitions, priest beeing able to shiled ppl up while returning to positions. Cascade is just <3in 2nd phase, but DI is Op for first. Shields are overall quite handy beeing able to soak those debuffs and simply buying time for the hoters to get them steady (i am counting shamans into "hoters" since they have the ability to give "steady" raidhealing). The weaknes is tho the risk with Shields, when they start to drop the dmg taken tends to get spiky and it is bit harder to have the Control over the phasepush (if trying to push longer phase1).

Holy on the other hand defintily has a function as a steady/hot healer, and with DI..yeah. Again comming down to healer setup. Aims of how long that phase 1 would be, how you lot handle tank/s (cd's, amount of debuffs and so on). For us tho in base having a monk and Hpally, or a monk and shammy, having me in holy has as mostly resulted in phase 1 beeing longer than we wish since timing of bloodfrenzy been harder due to the healing simply been too strong. Since we gotta heal or they die, but holding 5 ppl around or below50% yeah. The disc has for us shown more useful since with soaks up we have the Power of choosing when to push and dont need to "panicheal" since shield can eat that 1 or boarder 2 screetches to push phase 2, when we want it.

Damn i wish we had a tree in our team xD

Quote Originally Posted by Gottan View Post
    I was thinking of going holy for this fight, but i decided to stay disc due to absorbs actually being a big factor here.
    If you promptly want to be holy for this i think having a paladin for a HoP is a must, so you can actually use your hymn later on without getting interrupt.
    As other players already said FDCL is very strong as well, to get faster PoH casts, the click-able renew might be worth it as well, since it can be used as a cd in the healing rotation. As last tier talent i would say Divine Star is a must.

As disc i used power infusion for our very first kill, but for our farm kills i've been using ToF.

I have a recorded video from this weeks clear, we use rsham,hpala and disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhcr739GGRQ

check it out and feel free to ask questions =)

Yours, Gottan.
    Thanks dude. By the way, are you talking about a click-able lightwell renew here? Because the screeches actually cancel the hot, since they do more than 30% of your health. This pretty much throws that spell out the window for this encounter

I think a LOT of people think about going holy for this fight, but essentially no one does!

Thanks for the tips and the vid, very clean kill.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darknhot View Post
    (sorry in advance for the around rambling)

We have experimented quite alot with this encounter, swapping classes and and tried to figure out how to take the controle over the fight. When it comes to killing it alot has come down to using the right phase to push depending on dps setup. If melee Heavy having longer phase 1 is more benefitial but if range Heavy not as much, where we even been in situations making phase 1 too long to be benefitial.

counting the phases you would need to push minimum 15% each phase (the more the better since it gives more space later for things to go not as planned). Our aim is to be able arround 20% first phase and with goal he should have around or less than 10% for last.
    Anyhow, this comes down to take controll of when to push the phases and find where the limits of handling goes.

Regardless of healing setup we had we found that the limit goes around when tanks get the 4th debuff, some setups has been able to push and keep the raid up longer BUT since the screetches tends to accelerate and they cant keep that up we tend to loose a player or two. So even if we could take that cance trying to push a bit more in phase 1 it takes away the steadyness and Control. So we have come to the decition of this not beeing an option or goal (atm) since we still can get him down its simply not Worth it (with the dps setup we have). The trickiest part is the second go of first phase with the debuffs Rolling, specially at the transition (from fixate to 1st) to stabilize the raid Before he's screetches eats them (ppl really love spreading as headless chickens all over the Place sometimes xD).

So to the priest PoV, both holy and disc has their advantages and weakpoints, and yes as pointed above that depends alot on the rest of the healersetup. Disc def has its + in beeing able to shiledup in start of phases 1 so hotters has time to get their hots Rolling. Since this is a fight where you want the raid to be synced in Health and dimps/spikes def can be leathal. This is definitly very nice later into fight at the transitions, priest beeing able to shiled ppl up while returning to positions. Cascade is just <3in 2nd phase, but DI is Op for first. Shields are overall quite handy beeing able to soak those debuffs and simply buying time for the hoters to get them steady (i am counting shamans into "hoters" since they have the ability to give "steady" raidhealing). The weaknes is tho the risk with Shields, when they start to drop the dmg taken tends to get spiky and it is bit harder to have the Control over the phasepush (if trying to push longer phase1).

Holy on the other hand defintily has a function as a steady/hot healer, and with DI..yeah. Again comming down to healer setup. Aims of how long that phase 1 would be, how you lot handle tank/s (cd's, amount of debuffs and so on). For us tho in base having a monk and Hpally, or a monk and shammy, having me in holy has as mostly resulted in phase 1 beeing longer than we wish since timing of bloodfrenzy been harder due to the healing simply been too strong. Since we gotta heal or they die, but holding 5 ppl around or below50% yeah. The disc has for us shown more useful since with soaks up we have the Power of choosing when to push and dont need to "panicheal" since shield can eat that 1 or boarder 2 screetches to push phase 2, when we want it.

Damn i wish we had a tree in our team xD
    Ok so you're saying Disci brings a lot more utility ehile sacrifising some raw throughput. Our strat is basically to push the boss as hard as we can with lust during the first stacked phase. We are normally getting the boss to about 65% during this with lust. I'm not too sure how many stacked the tank has when we push but it is at about the 20th screech or so. The second stacked phase with the bats is pushed much quicker since we have no raid cd's available.

Deleted
    Yeah, since thok per say as encoutner isnt really hard, if fairly geared there isnt much of a rush either exept after third go of fixate (well depending on what order you do the prisoners i guess, we leave fire for last). We aswell choose to pop BL at start to garantie that we have him at max 10% entering that firephase, and usually get him to around 75% during our first phase and concluded that it's enough (mini aim 80%) since we have the dps to kill him as long as ppl dont do silly misstakes. This aswell allows us to spread the raid cd's so we have both of the 1phases covered yet having all up for last burn. Guess we rather gone for the stability and steadyness than the overall burn, since it isnt much of a complex fight - just a few of those critical moments.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCelar View Post
    We did it with Disc, Resto Druid and Holy Paladin, but we had 3 paladins so 28 sec of free casting every time. The Disc was there for the barrier, really.
    Jesus, 3 Devo's?

Granted we use 2, but still. I might actually use Spirit Shell if I had that many!

Edit: Originally quoted myself...FML.
    Last edited by Anastacy; 2013-10-18 at 04:01 AM.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

15+ Year Old Account
    it's "viable" but Disc do better generally on this fight. Surprising?:P

Deleted
    I find holy does much more HPS on the stacked phase on 25man, but the biggest benefit of holy is the 10% healing buff for 12s. If you arrange for a single interrupt immunity you can DH towards the end and you get the raid up leave a fairly massive hot for the next screech (and mastery works better for this now) and 10% healing buff for the next 3 screeches or so. Glyphed clickable lightwell can be very strong here. It ticks for 50k.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc12 View Post
    Glyphed clickable lightwell can be very strong here. It ticks for 50k.
    But... the damage from screech will break it anyway, since it hits for more than 30%.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    But... the damage from screech will break it anyway, since it hits for more than 30%.
    Yes, LW is crap here unfortunatly.

Oh, and it seems ppl forget all about the use of PW:B in this fight aswell. As usual. It's all hps, hps? Then calculate how much dmg PW:B absorbs and get back to us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nobodysbaby View Post
    Yes, LW is crap here unfortunatly.

Oh, and it seems ppl forget all about the use of PW:B in this fight aswell. As usual. It's all hps, hps? Then calculate how much dmg PW:B absorbs and get back to us.
    Not to mention the benefit of shields - other healers do not overheal so much, we play half the time in the different field.
    Disc may buy a lot of time with shield spam, when the screeches come too fast. (speaking about 10man)
    + 5 secs of personal immunity granted by Inner Focus gets you 2 PoHs(for SS).