Thread: [PvP] Mage 101.

Deleted

[PvP] Mage 101.

Okey,

So i came back to wow after a break.
    Right before the changes to mages were announced. ( Mastery changes )
    Pretty much full Tyrannical with 2 pieces of Grievous.
    Now i'm back and i'm getting completely stomped by everything that is melee and even ranged.
    I can't even be bothered to try arena because i just do not stand a chance. Within the first 2 seconds i'm already forced to ice block.
    Granted that i'm not a top player and rusty as hell. I just have no idea how to gather up my burst. Went full haste with int gems but i can't get a single cast off or i have to ice block. I'm not complaining about mages being underpowered. I just don't understand what we're supposed to do. They want us to cast ? I might get 1 or 2 frostbolts off in the time it takes for the other player to get out of my freeze. I'm having massive problems with warriors. Even if i get them low ( which is unlikely because they're up in my face 24/7 ) I just can't get through second wind.

I'd highly appreciate any help and tips. As i said before i'm not QQing. I'm simply trying to understand what is going on.

try reading any of the various guides and learn how to play frost/fire again before you ask the most ridiculous questions ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    try reading any of the various guides and learn how to play frost/fire again before you ask the most ridiculous question ever.
    Care to explain yourself ?

what you are asking is how to play your class. that is nothing anybody can teach you. you didnt post an armory so we dont know what spec you are or what talents you've taken.

Deleted
    He isn't asking for tips either, he basicly is asking what buttons to press in what rotation in any given situation. Might aswell bot.

Deleted
    what you are asking is how to play your class. that is nothing anybody can teach you. you didnt post an armory so we dont know what spec you are or what talents you've taken.
    ' Casting frostbolts ' I'd highly doubt Arcane or fire mages cast those.
    I gave you the situation i'm in and i'm asking for tips. That is something completely different.
    Anyway, i figured it would've been a mistake to post here for help. Because your answers are pretty much what Mmo champion forums is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    He isn't asking for tips either, he basicly is asking what buttons to press in what rotation in any given situation. Might aswell bot.
    'I'd highly appreciate any help and tips.'

Care to read through the whole thing next time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Emorte View Post
    I gave you the situation i'm in and i'm asking for tips. That is something completely different.
    Anyway, i figured it would've been a mistake to post here for help. Because your answers are pretty much what Mmo champion forums is.

- - - Updated - - -

care to learn to play your class before you come crying to the real mages?
    dude, seriously.

figure it out on your own. pvp is too random to give you any kind of guide.
    i can give you a rundown, but thats about it. you need to practice.

use nt and multi dot everything all the time.
    store 5 icicles before you use them. frostbolt and instand ffb create these. casting il releases them all
    use your freezes wisely and dont hardcast unless you have the time.

basically tl:dr.

learn to play and figure it out. frost ISNT op as it once was. you have to try now, sorry.

if this is too hard reroll warlock.
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2013-10-15 at 05:37 PM.

Deleted
    care to learn to play your class before you come crying to the real mages?
    dude, seriously.

figure it out on your own. pvp is too random to give you any kind of guide.
    i can give you a rundown, but thats about it. you need to practice.

use nt and multi dot everything all the time.
    store 5 icicles before you use them. frostbolt and instand ffb create these. casting il releases them all
    use your freezes wisely and dont hardcast unless you have the time.

basically tl:dr.

learn to play and figure it out. frost ISNT op as it once was. you have to try now, sorry.

if this is too hard reroll warlock.
    Like i said, i shouldn't have bothered posting here.
    It's like asking a cow for advice.
    ' Real mages ' I lol'd.

- - - Updated - - -

also
    "I just don't understand what we're supposed to do."

kind of implying u have no idea what to do when you play this class. so you are in fact asking for somebody to spoon feed u frost mage. not tips and tricks that u learn from youtube.

- - - Updated - - -

Like i said, i shouldn't have bothered posting here.
    It's like asking a cow for advice.
    ' Real mages ' I lol'd.
    probably time to reroll warlock then bro.

i literally laid out how to do frost pvp. too hard lol

Deleted
    also
    "I just don't understand what we're supposed to do."

kind of implying u have no idea what to do when you play this class. so you are in fact asking for somebody to spoon feed u frost mage. not tips and tricks that u learn from youtube.

- - - Updated - - -

probably time to reroll warlock then bro.

i literally laid out how to do frost pvp. too hard lol
    All the above are things that i already know.
    But then again, moooo.

All the above are things that i already know.
    But then again, moooo.
    you need to drop your tiny ego when you talk to people and ask for help. your op was so bland and undirected it sounded like you are in fact the cow trying to play this game.

specifically, without the attitude, what are you having issues with? no blanket statements. what talents are you using? can you please post your armory so i can berate it?

Mistakes were made. The sticky-ed posts are the best place for basic spec help. Slamming someone for posting a marginally rambling and unfocused post doesn't help anyone. Can't we just all be happy that tonight is a fresh lockout?

oh he doesnt need "basic help". he just doesnt know what to do at all.

help me help you emorte

Well just a helpful hinters:
    If it's two melee comps I start invis 2-3 second before gates open
    or if it's a caster team I generally invis after gate just so I have that extra few seconds to either get a nova ring or poly dispel on healer or dps.

Starting with invis is good since you can generally set positions. For instance, open with a poly on healer or dps (You don't break out till about 1/2 on your cast). Or you can either nova 2-3 of them into ring which is generally the best opener. If it's a priest I start with a poly on him to spell steal/dispel fearward or whoever that has it. This should put you into some what control of the match.

After the opener and you did all of that if it's two melee cleave they will most likely tunnel you. In this situation what I do is I burst them down to play really defensive...
    You don't necessary have to cast to do damage, your "damage" should come from procs FoF and FFB
    So in that particular instance I do the follow:
    Ward
    Icy Vein, Mirror Image
    Orb
    POM if up
    Decurse if Glylph or vsing a lock
    Alter (Best case scenario you altered 2x FOF and 1FFB)

(Also this burst will be better with some icicles but it is not mandatory).

Then start shooting FoF and FFB as they proc from orb. POM Poly healer. Alter. FoF FFB re POM Poly. Into Blanket CS = GG or close to it. If not restart the process.

This opener should take a huge chuck of their HP and should make the play defensive. Also Alter copies your health so for whatever reason your dipping low on your burst just alter back in time with full HP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please do not be hostile to each other.

Emorte if you are looking for how to play one of the mage specs please, please click on one of the links in my signature. If you are looking for specific help with gear or if you need people to analyze your armory, please click on one of the links in my signature.

If you are looking for a PvP guide, there is none on our subforum here and it might be a better idea to post your questions in a more structured way over in the PvP section. The mages here will help you but you have to throw them a bone and be patient while waiting for an answer as mages here have a primarily PvE community.
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2013-10-15 at 07:54 PM.
    My magic will tear you apart.

Also forgot to add make sure you have your orb macroed in with on use pvp trinket.
    Memorize that rotation also
    The best case scenario you want to alter with is:
    3670 int from on use pvp trinket
    5179 int from dps pvp trinket insignia
    1650 int from Jade Spirit
    15% damage from Ward
    15% damage from Remove Curse Gylph
    15% damage from Tricks (When Running with Rogue)

Obviously your stars may not always and rarely align but any of these procs are deadly.

- - - Updated - - -

Also another helpful hint. Watch any top mages play obviously they all have different play styles...

go to twitch and look at xaryulol vods