10+ Year Old Account

Recording a band on a budget

Sup folks. Well I want to record a band. But im on a budget. I have about 500 bucks to spend on this hobby. My local church is letting me use their mics and stuff. But I was told I needed to buy extra mics for the drum set? I thought 1 mic was enough for the drums. Kinda confused on that part. I would like to record, an acoustic guitar, the keyboard-ist, drummer, and 3 back up singers. They all have their own mics. So besides the extra drum mics, what interface should I be looking at? I do own a Mac with Pro Tools X installed. Thats the cheaper 200 dollar version. Im not looking to spend more than 500 on this right now, hence the term : Hobby.

I really appreciate any input(no pun intended) anyone has for me. Long story short on the band, they have been playing together for a while and have used their cell phone to record themselves. I kinda wanna give them a little surprise. But i admit that its not all selfless, I want to eventually record other bands and possibly make some of my money back. Who knows in time. Thank you again.

TL;DR A band thats kinda broke always wanted to record themselves and I want to help but im on a 500 dollar budget. help!.

Right, first off i'm not a sound engineer so may be told wrong on some bits but I was in a pretty successful band for 6 years going from the 15 year old using anything cheap to record ourselves to using high end studios.

You really need extra mics for the drums for a start genrally mic the bass drum, a couple of the symbols and one on the toms and snare generally high end studios use alot more.

Depending how serious this hobby is a Monitor speaker is highly recommended, bascially they play sound thats being recorded without chaging or altering the noise at all so you can hear it perfectly before mixing.

A pre-amp is really recommended too will really help the sound you produce.

Lastly MOST IMPORTANT PART in my opinion is a decent recording room , Best way of doing this on the cheap is buying lots and lots of thick foam and covering all the walls of lets say a garage with it this really really helps the sound.