Deleted

Galactic Civilizations III

Galactic Civilizations III has been announced:
    http://www.galciv3.com/

"We’re very proud to announce the upcoming Galactic Civilizations III, the definitive 4X space strategy game from Stardock. Coming exclusively to 64-bit PCs, Galactic Civilizations III stays true to the core mechanics that keep the franchise amongst the highest-rated strategy games in history while adding more depth and options for players to create their own immortal legacy as rulers of the galaxy.

For the first time in the franchise, players can compete or cooperate with each other over the Internet. Online multiplayer, all-new diplomacy, a completely redesigned ship builder, and the incomparable scale 64-bit computing allows us to achieve make Galactic Civilizations III a generational leap in space-based strategy gaming."

Discuss.

Very much looking forward to this. 64-bit and multiplayer are two things I was really hoping for, and that's what they're doing. I still play GalCivII, as it's only 4X that I've played that does cultural gameplay right. You can win the game and never create an offensive unit.

Pretty cool that they are making it 64-bit only. I loved Gal Civ I and II. Hopefully it pushes the amount of RAM used and tries to use as many cores as possible.

Also, I can't believe it's been 20 years since the original Gal Civ came out. God, I'm getting old.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2013-10-16 at 03:00 PM.

Sick looking trailer.

Maybe it's just me and please correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds very much like Eve.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I'm quite psyched about the 64-bit only. Good move, hope many more follow!

This kind of movement will finally put an end to the ever clinging to 32 bit processors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Maybe it's just me and please correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds very much like Eve.
    its a turn based game
    while EVE is like this

Can you manage combat? That's easily the thing I disliked the most about the GalCiv games and why I still like MOO2 better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amera View Post
    Can you manage combat? That's easily the thing I disliked the most about the GalCiv games and why I still like MOO2 better.
    Well it's unknown yet, it was just announced. Most likely as time passes more info will appear.

So it's out now. I've been playing a ton of it. It uses a lot of the tropes from other space games, but it also does away with a lot of the immersion type stuff in favor of fun gameplay. For me, it strikes a good balance between feeling like a space empire and being a fun game.

You can either take the ships that unlock with tech or you can build your own, and oh man can you build your own. I think I've spent as much time building ships as I have conquering solar systems.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't start trading with a nearby empire right away. You pretty much will go to war with them within 100 turns of discovering them.

The finished product of the tech tree took me by surprise. Since the Beta you could research every single spec. Now just the one makes research much easier.

Deleted
    Really liking it, can't wait for the workshop support.

so far I am liking it, but at the same time, it feels like a bit of a step back from Galactic Civ 2 Twilight xpac, something just feels like it is missing

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not bad but it feels like something is off to me too.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dmt4life View Post
    so far I am liking it, but at the same time, it feels like a bit of a step back from Galactic Civ 2 Twilight xpac, something just feels like it is missing
    GalCiv3 should have 2 expansion packs. It's what they plan on doing. I have faith in Stardock following through. They are good with keeping promises.

I started a game on normal, with about 20 AI. I expected to be stomped, but I mostly went for influence and my ships still literally destroy anything in my path ánd I own half the map due to annexation through influence.

I guess I'll have to play against the harder AI, because this is just zzZZzzz..

Never played gal 1 and 2, however just bought this after watching the cool trailer, very disappointed so far though was expecting SOME voice acting in the tutorial at least and I found the tutorial kinda a mess like it was only an afterthought not really showing how to organise your planet etc.
    I do see player made guides on steam with what order to place buildings n stuff but its really the game teams job todo better tutorial not players.

TLDR wish steam gave refund not worth the money for a 2015 game.