Deleted

[Movies] Lake Placid 2, wtf did i just watch?

Actually it's still on, but i turned it off after 45 minutes, let me ellaborate.

The first movie (the orginal Lake Placid) i watched as a kid, and i remember it as enjoyable and realistic. What i just watched was the sequel...
    This is a 2007 movie. The SE are so immensly bad, its like playstation 1 graphics, possibly nintendo 64.

Hardcore horror graphics below

At one point they add in a waterplane (caus they didnt have the budget to hire 1 for a day?) which then appears and dissapears at the docks.
    The actors are well, C at best, without any emotion, acting talent or good script whatsoever.

This is literally the first time i felt like a producer went: "Fuck it, im done even trying with this piece of shit. Hey you intern, make the best of it".
    How can someone that makes such a piece of shit of a movie, like, an abomination that in severity could relate to groupraping, still get a job? How can anyone say: "ive seen your work, and i want to hire you". It's beyond me.

Sorry but needed to vent, this is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2013-10-17 at 10:41 PM.

It's a Bmovie. They're supposed to be bad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xalzel View Post
    It's a Bmovie. They're supposed to be bad
    This wasn't even a B movie, this was hardly a C. How can someone actually justify making this piece of shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    The first movie (the orginal Lake Placid) i watched as a kid, and i remember it as enjoyable and realistic.
    Trying watching it as an adult and tell me how realistic you still think it is.

The original Lake Placid was a cheesy giant monster b-movie, basically a modern version of all the giant monster movies of the 50's. It wasn't meant to be a serious movie, and it wasn't, it was meant to be goofy.

The 3 sequels were even lower budget made for Sy-fy(yes, these are Sy-fy movies, not real movies) piece of schlock and were just an attempt to cash in on the relative success of the first one.

These movies are supposed to be bad, it's like Sharknado, they are meant to be cheesey and over-the-top.

These people don't think they are making Citizen Kane, it's a sub-genre of films catered to people who like these sorts of trainwrecks.

They are this way by design, not negligence.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, same for Lake Placid 3. I watched the first one when I was younger and enjoyed it, I watched it about a month ago and it was still entertaining. When I realised there was sequels out I thought "badass". I watched 3 for about 5-10 mins until you got to see that the crocs were cgi bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude you watched this movie with the wrong state of mind. This is a classic B' movie, a "its so bad it's hilarious" kind of movie. Thank you for letting me know that this movie existed I am so watching this with my best friend.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    These movies are supposed to be bad,<snip> They are this way by design, not negligence.
    Not exactly. No one really makes a movie with the intent of it being terrible. They would generally try to make it as well as they can within their budgetary constraints.

They land up being bad because they don't really have a hope in hell of being any good without any money. The people who make these movies aren't generally too upset about it though, because with such a low budget to make the film, odds are good they'll actually make a profit despite the limited appeal of the film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Not exactly. No one really makes a movie with the intent of it being terrible. They would generally try to make it as well as they can within their budgetary constraints.

They land up being bad because they don't really have a hope in hell of being any good without any money. The people who make these movies aren't generally too upset about it though, because with such a low budget to make the film, odds are good they'll actually make a profit despite the limited appeal of the film.
    See that's were you are wrong ever heard of The Asylum its a movie studio that is dedicated to making shitty straight to DVD movies. They make enough money to cover the expense of making the film and they normally air on Sci-Fi channel or become semi-cult hits. Like Sharknado.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    See that's were you are wrong ever heard of The Asylum its a movie studio that is dedicated to making shitty straight to DVD movies. They make enough money to cover the expense of making the film and they normally air on Sci-Fi channel or become semi-cult hits. Like Sharknado.
    There is a fundamental difference between knowingly making something you know will be shit, and designing something so that it is shit.

Movies like this are designed to be cheap to make, market and distribute. Being shit is simply a side effect thereof, not a design objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    There is a fundamental difference between knowingly making something you know will be shit, and designing something so that it is shit.

Movies like this are designed to be cheap to make, market and distribute. Being shit is simply a side effect thereof, not a design objective.
    Regardless, it's still a dedication to shit movie making, whether directly or indirectly. The conscious focus of Asylum is to crank out low budget films quickly. They're pretty much aware the films are bad but don't care, they're made to order by Netflix, SyFy, etc. This is a great article, and has all sorts of stuff in it that shows they ask the same questions as the OP did - http://www.psmag.com/culture/escapes...-asylum-60701/

I think the best quote though is "In 2-Headed Shark Attack, “Carmen Electra is a doctor,” Horton tells me with a mix of glee and disdain. The question is: For the love of God, why?
    “The short answer is: We don’t know,” says David Michael Latt, the Asylum’s co-founder and head of physical production...
    "

And this sums it all up - “This isn’t about trying to get you to watch our movie, this is about gaming the system. This is about taking a stand. Against math.”
    If the Asylum’s films are naive camp, its marketing strategy is all deliberate. “It’s a parody of the studio system,” Latt says. “We’re making fun of the commerce side of this. You made your movie for $200 million? I’ll make it for 20 bucks.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually really like the first Lake Placid. At the time its special effects were pretty good, and it was released on the heel of a bunch of other "giant animal attack" movies like Anaconda and Deep Blue Sea. It was almost a parody of the genre, and was (IMO) legitimately funny. Had a great cast, too: Bridget Fonda, Bill Pullman, Oliver Platt, Brendan Gleeson, and Betty White.

Haven't seen the made-for-TV sequels, but I'm sure they're terrible.