Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Mage] Garrosh 10 man normal

Hello all.

Just a quick thread asking for advice from anyone who has cleared 10 man normal Garrosh.
    We are attempting him properly for the first time tonight and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips/helpful things that might help a frost mage along like talents

My armory is linked in my signature, and my current thoughts on talents are:
    Ice Floes
    Ice Barrier
    Cauterize
    Generic Filler CC Talent
    Nether Tempest
    Invocation

I know the tactics in and out thanks to the plethora of great guides online. I used to use EJ for encounter specific hints, but that seems to have died for mages since May.

If we really go for it, we might even get a server first Conqueror or Org

Thanks in advance
    -Ixi

Deleted
    Temporal shield is much better for the transitions imho. Watch videos to know how the bubbles look like, it's important to get the buff properly.

I would personally ditch the hit you have http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/e...nilash/ixidron although minimal its all dead stats being that much over cap.

Double blink is useful for engineers if assigned as well as blazing speed over icy floes for "dream phases" and movement in general.
    Get bubbles in dream phases blink again can help here.
    Adds from empowered whirl can be CC'd DF'd etc.

Not much really to tell about this fight to be honest as its a pretty much tank and spank.

EDIT: Ice barrier is stronger as nothing hits you for a major amount except during dream phases/whirl where the temporal shield wont make much of a difference but the ice barrier will make a difference throughout.
    Last edited by Salystra; 2013-10-07 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Double Blink and Blazing speed are really nice for Garrosh, especially late in the fight when things can get a little crazy and are a must if you do the engineers. Also taking Frost Jaw is a good way to get a shatter snapshot on the sha adds that spawn during whirling, do so with your pet nova on a different add also. I also prefer Temp Sheild for the healng in the dream world and also for whirling corruption but thats more of a personal preferance. Fight is really straight forward, dont know of any other tricks but then again i haven't done the fight as frost.

Deleted
    Thanks ever so much for all of your advice.
    I guess glyphing for double blink would replace the CoC glyph? Seeing as the Ice splitting and IV ones are pretty mandatory
    I'd kinda want to keep using Ice Barrier where possible as we're going to try 2 healing it I believe and I'd rather not make them panic more than they will be already

As for my overkill hit rating. I'm looking in to ways to reduce it. It will probably end up being some kind of breaking a gem bonus though as I've reforged away from hit on everything that has it!

Also, being relatively new to frost mageing (Thursday last week being my first Frost raid ) I completely forgot about deep freeze.... I know... noob

Good call on BS too. I shouldn't be moving and casting enough to warrant IF on this fight hopefully if all goes well, and I don't have to do engineers myself as we have an OP hunter on them

Thanks again!

The Iron Star is way bigger then it looks basically assume it takes up 75% of the room.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Henzington View Post
    The Iron Star is way bigger then it looks basically assume it takes up 75% of the room.
    Lol, found that out in a couple of silly tries at the end of last night's raid
    We killed Blackfuse and Paragons surprisingly quickly and got a couple of tries in on Garrosh without knowing tactics the first time
    He basically played tennis with us with the stars

I personally would not use Cauterize. Invis is so handy, on the stack up point with the whirl ability (forget its name) and when in the other rooms. It can help you take so much less damage. It is there on demand and the CD isn't to bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixidron View Post
    As for my overkill hit rating. I'm looking in to ways to reduce it. It will probably end up being some kind of breaking a gem bonus though as I've reforged away from hit on everything that has it!
    If you look on the link I gave and hit optimise it should correct a lot of it but mostly its down to regemming.
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Deleted
    @ Kmonski: I'll give it a go. Being honest I've not used GInvis before, always felt more comfortable with cauterize, but I can see why it would be super OP for the whirly move.
    @ Salystra: Yeah, looks just like I need to gem pure haste in my weapon and chest. Other than that, all is the same Not too expensive then

Oh... and Edit: One thing I meant to ask. If any legs or gloves drop from Normal SoO, I take it they are worth breaking up my NORMAL 2 piece t15 set bonus? It doesn't seem that great IMO compared to what it was with fire.
    Last edited by mmoc40f63824e8; 2013-10-07 at 12:38 PM.

2pc T15 is not that great for frost so if you can get haste/mastery items with higher ilvl then go for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salystra View Post
    2pc T15 is not that great for frost so if you can get haste/mastery items with higher ilvl then go for it.
    Awesome, thanks

Quite a lot to take in when you've been set in your ways in one spec for so long

This expansion hasn't been kind to mages too much has changed constantly so its understandable a lot of mages rerolled or are confused to the avenue in which to gear/spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salystra View Post
    This expansion hasn't been kind to mages too much has changed constantly so its understandable a lot of mages rerolled or are confused to the avenue in which to gear/spec.
    Ikr... I've always liked to think I've been a half tidy player, but this expansion has been fire, arcane, fire, fire, frost, fire, arcane, and so on.
    I wouldn't mind so much but I must have spent 20k or so on gems just trying different specs ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally used Ginvis, using it on slam 7/8 or 9 in dream realm was super handy, I also liked TS as it buffered the healers in the dream realm and was is off the global. If you want another PoV of how the fight is done, our guild did positioning a bit different than the guides out there and it worked quite handy, the link to our guilds youtube channel is in my signature. The PoV is from the tank, but you can see how we position the raid in p2 and p3. There are raid markers on the ground too so they will be good reference points for you. Good luck! Very satisfying kill for sure.

Deleted
    Right... so we had a good go at this last night, managed to wipe about 25 odd times on it
    We were consistently getting to around the stage where we would go into the third alternate realm.
    The way we were positioning ourselves was as follows:

Boss would be tanked at yellow with the adds. Red would be where melee and tanks moved to when the iron star came in (we killed the left engineer... my job woop).
    Ranged stacked at blue after the pull for desecrate and alternated with green. The advice on glyph of rapid displacement and blazing speed were essential when I would be further away from the add.
    Phase 2 went very similar and as a general rule we handled the MCs pretty well which was my biggest concern beforehand.
    The only thing we really struggled with was the empowered whirling corruption. Most people were getting the timings wrong and getting popped by the explosions in addition to the huge aoe damage from the corruption itself

Oh well, always next week!

On empowered spread out on 1 side of the room i suggest the side you're killing the engineer since you are used to going that side and everyone tries to pickup 1 add and kill away from anyone else.

Your positioning is pretty much the same as ours but we move from green to blue'ish (I stay top left of green position for engineer, rought job isn't it) I move back to blue to pickup with raid (all weapons dead or close to dead), new weapon on blue'ish move to green kill blue weapon, move to blue iron star comes across adds get knocked back into it

On P2 phases without an engineer we move between green and a point up and left of green, off dotting up the weapons so they die before we need to move, it also means as per my opening statement you can then group up behind these points on the one side of the room for empowered whirl adds and have plenty of room to pick one up and kill them without empowering the others.
    Last edited by Salystra; 2013-10-08 at 08:35 AM.

T1 - Any will work, unless you are doing engineers there's not much more movement than 1 blink(desecrated weapon) or 1 step(annihilate).
    T2 - I took Ice Barrier and used it before every whirl and going into intermission then on cd during annihilate. Temporal shield would also be a good choice.
    T3 - Greater Invisibility, you can pretty much negate the whirl damage between ice barrier and the 90% reduction.
    T4 - Frostjaw has some uses but does not really matter which talent you take.
    T5 - I think living bomb is the better choice here although I suppose it may depend on your raid comp.
    T6 - Invocation ofc.

Deleted
    So you stack (in phase 2) between where I've marked as green, northwest of it (nearer the engineer) and then move back to the bottom left corner when the empowering corruption comes in?

Yup in P2 coming out of the transistion (dream phase) we stack northwest of the green mark straight away and a weapon gets thrown there we then move to green, kill the last weapon and ping pong between those two points. (weapon killing is purely through throwing dots on it, which is enough to take it down and gives extra procs for main kill targets).

On non empowered whirls we stack on the ranged markers (I believe also with any melee) spot depands on the previous weapon.

As said previously then on the empowered whirl with adds we just spread behind those 2 marks on the "west half" of the room as the pools begin to form (most of the initial damage is healed before we spread) the melee again is also with us for these but spread out also.
    Last edited by Salystra; 2013-10-08 at 09:58 AM.