Video Game Addiction

Hi there!

My brother just recently gave a TED talk about dealing with video game addiction and he is wanting to hear what people's opinions are on the topic! No better place to gather thoughts than a popular gaming forum ^_^.

What do you think about gaming addiction? Is it a real problem?

The talk can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHmC2D0_Hdg

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Xzilend View Post
    Hi there!

My brother just recently gave a TED talk about dealing with video game addiction and he is wanting to hear what people's opinions are on the topic! No better place to gather thoughts than a popular gaming forum ^_^.

What do you think about gaming addiction? Is it a real problem?

The talk can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHmC2D0_Hdg

Thanks!
    Addicts get addicted, news at 11. People who have addicted personalities can get addicted to anything. I'm not sure why this was a TED talk. A psychologist could have given this talk in a much better and much more informative way.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Was ok I guess, needs to slow down a bit in terms of delivering it...but when you're giving a presentation in front of that many people, nerves kick in hard.

Nice to see someone not blaming the industry at least. Video Game addiction really is not that different from gambling addiction. You're seeking the rewards, gaming is a bit less destructive at least. I don't agree with the concept of abolishing playing video games though, which seemed to be a theme. They have their merits...in moderation should have been the primary focus. It seemed to shift from totally quitting them all together to moderation too often...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I don't believe in gambling, videogames, or anything in that matter to be addicting. An addiction in my mind is both physcial AND mental. If it is only purely mental, your problem is not the addiction, but your low self-control. A guy addicted to videogames, could just as easy have become addicted to anything else. Their problem is not the games, but their own mental health. People who can get addicted to videogames, have other problems to start with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love and addiction are synonymous.