Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Gotta fund it somehow. Software shops make their best code off the backs of the programmers who aren't lazy, to lend an analogy.
    Yeah, to be clear, this isn't a policy position or prescription, just a general eyeroll at the idea that I'm just as much of a clinical risk as someone that's morbidly obese. It'd be akin to car insurance rates being the same for people with four DUIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, to be clear, this isn't a policy position or prescription, just a general eyeroll at the idea that I'm just as much of a clinical risk as someone that's morbidly obese. It'd be akin to car insurance rates being the same for people with four DUIs.
    Hey, on the topic of coding that website clearly wasn't load tested and lacks obvious back-end functionality that should be working correctly. So there's comfort in knowing that the website that tells you such garbage is also kinda fucked up.

I'm kind of amazed at just how bad the implementation is. I'm not close enough to the industry to have a great feel for software development, but it seems to me that there's no way in hell any reputable organization would have tested things this poorly.

I'm kind of amazed at just how bad the implementation is. I'm not close enough to the industry to have a great feel for software development, but it seems to me that there's no way in hell any reputable organization would have tested things this poorly.
    It's gold-plated. The front-end is gorgeous and fluid, but the back-end where the core data lies is shoddy. There's been some issues with them posting their code to github, using too many contractors, etc ... but yes, the lack of extensive testing is very easy to see. I'd be curious to see how big their test suites are. Any major application should have just as much, if not more testing code than implementation code for back-end services.

About 150$ cata, 200$ bronze.
    Not bad really. I thought it would be like 4k/yr, which is about how much my employer spends on mine. Though my employer plan is closer to a gold plan in benefits overall, and those are about 4k/year.

On the site coding... this site isn't just a marketplace, it's a secure system line to the IRS, Homeland security, Rick Perry'ing moment. Which means that if the connection to just one of these institutions is slow, the whole system gets backed up. The awesome or scary thing... this is the future infrastructure of all need-based aid. Death to paper applications for things like welfare/unemployment or SNAP, obama's skynet will handle it (:

10+ Year Old Account
    My dad works in this kind of stuff, and has been regularly interviewed about the massive f up by news agencies about this. Needless to say, he's calling this a disaster that could backfire on democrats if it isn't up and running by the time the first fines go out. Those that are fined that COULDN'T purchase it because the site was messed up will fight it, clogging up the courts. THE IRS could then just wave the initial fine for everyone, pissing off those who only bought insurance to avoid the fine.

Needless to say, whoever designed this was an amateur at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    Before even looking at subsidies, I would save about $100 per month switching to a silver plan, opposed to what I have been paying through my company for years for myself and my children.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man. Had I not locked myself in with open enrollment in September, I would be switching this year. I guess there's always next year.
    Because that site doesnt show any details about those plans that silver plan that is cheaper might be shittier too. You dont know what the deductibles are and what it covers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Well the only person I have to worry about covering is myself, and im expecting to get out on at least 40% disability, which should put me squarely in priority group 2.

heres where im pulling my info from

http://www.va.gov/health/aca/

and as far as what I should be covered

http://hbexplorer.vacloud.us/Benefit...tributes=False

from what i understand the only things I will havw to worry about paying are the 15$ copays for non-service related aliments, and the 8$ medication fee

PErhaps you are better informed on the subject, is there something im missing?
    If you get out at 40% you should be covered at no cost for life, however, like me you might want to consider getting insurance anyway. I wont use the VA since thy usually have lower tier doctors, and there is often a long wait due to understaffing, like any government run healthcare. I once needed to see an orthopedist and since there is only 1 for my region he is only there once a week so I had to wait 4 months. I ended up enrolling at work and got my appointment at a real hospital within the week. Also the quality of government doctors is really low. Since they dont pay them shit, the only people that apply are the ones that werent good enough to get hired at private facilities that pay more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPussy View Post
    Agree with this!

I will be paying 28.11 per month after subsidies. I feel like most of the hate about the ACA comes from people who haven't even looked up prices in their area or never got far enough into the application to see if they would receive subsidies.
    Or it could be that we want people to be responsible and pay for their own healthcare instead of sucking more money out of our pockets (taxes) to pay their subsidies

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    and it costs me 141 a month, with no income. Looks like im goin to jail.
    You could also get a job

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    And how much does your husbands company subsidize monthly? I bet it is more than 3-4 hundred.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have no income, you should either be on Medicare, or your State Government refused they money to expand medicare and you are screwed. Looks like you should ask your state government why they are screwing you over?
    Because when the money they wouldve accepted (Medicare expansion) gets used it wont be replenished. Its a one time payment, which means the next year the taxpayers will be gouged more in those states to continue the programs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by feellucky View Post
    First let me explain how this works. One of the 50 million americans without insurance goes to the ER and can't pay your insurance rates go up. This is one of the reasons your insurance is so high. You're already subsidizing these "spineless jelly buckets." This makes it mandatory to get insurance or pay a fine which means lower insurance costs for everyone and that these people you're subsidizing have to pay money for insurance, even if it is somewhat subsidized, or pay a fine. Also the ER is much more expensive than coming in before when the problem is easier to treat usually.

TLDR version: You are getting what you want through Obamacare. Its forcing some people to pay.

Id be fine with the ACA if thats where it stopped. My problem is with giving subsidies to people so they can buy it. Make them buy it with their OWN money. I also have a problem with the government mandating what those plans must and must not cover, and creating a central database for all medical records.

Why does someone "gota" pay for these border hoppers and fat asses insurance? let them die, it's their life choice, they choose this lifestyle, it's NOT my fault at all. You want burger king EVERY FUCKING DAY, then go die of a heart attack, don't loot my savings because your slug ass isn't thinking.

Story, from my wife's college.

21 year old girl, married to a 32 year old man, both slobs, and both claim anger issues so they cant work was their excuse, they were COMPLAINING about foodstamp problems, and COMPLAINING how hard it is to get on SSI... WHAT THE FLYING FUDGE?!? Who here honestly thinks someones "gota" support those fools?

The welfare system is a MAJOR problem for this country, and it has breed so many lazys slugs that prefer it to work, in turn it has breed so many lazy slug LIBERAL VOTERS! This is the problem with obamacare, it will create MORE of these types, to the point it cant be removed...well it can, but we need many millions of large graves to dump all those slugs in to.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's down to a "states rights" kind of issue. Implementation is left up to the states, each of which does their own. The problem is that a lot of governors are against the program and are doing everything they can to make sure it fails while still doing the minimum required. California for example has (and has had for a year now) a very good system to sign up. Texas, not so much.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    It's down to a "states rights" kind of issue. Implementation is left up to the states, each of which does their own. The problem is that a lot of governors are against the program and are doing everything they can to make sure it fails while still doing the minimum required. California for example has (and has had for a year now) a very good system to sign up. Texas, not so much.
    I'm in Maryland, which theoretically would be a state with widespread support for the law, and the system works like dogshit here. Purely anecdotal, I can't speak to any nationwide trend, just saying that my experience doesn't match that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in Maryland, which theoretically would be a state with widespread support for the law, and the system works like dogshit here. Purely anecdotal, I can't speak to any nationwide trend, just saying that my experience doesn't match that.
    Not saying its a universal truism, just that those who seem to not be having problems are likely in a blue state. Maryland does seem to have messed up their implementation, but I lack the information to draw any conclusion as to why.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Because that site doesnt show any details about those plans that silver plan that is cheaper might be shittier too. You dont know what the deductibles are and what it covers
    From what I have seen Silver is right around what I am getting from my employer. Perhaps a little worse. Most of the deductibles are about the same. Is a little bit higher copays worth $100 to me? Absolutely.

If you wanted to know details, you could always investigate further with the different insurance companies that they have listed on the main site.

Quote Originally Posted by wdh1974 View Post
    You do know all these prices are going to get worse, Obama(terror king) already stated he WANTS A SINGLE PAYER SYSTEM. I can't believe libs still don't see where this is headed, it's really shocking...

Regardless, $500+(bluecross blue shield $802) a month for my wife and i, before that, less than $100, but this is old news, ive already seen my numbers.

FUCK OBAMA.

Oh yeah, you idiot poor lazy 30 year old gamers with no job and refuse to get one, need a successful married couple to support you...PUT FUCKING OBAMA on this shit, he created it, but wont touch it, same goes for congress. fucking bullshit, i gota support people that HATE ME because im christian, or hate me because i dont want to pay for your abortions(1.3 BILLION babies aborted world wide since 1980) or hate me because i dont want to see gays married, but you dont mind letting me support your welfare ass. You love holding out your greedy worthless hands for MY MONEY! Where is your pride and self esteem? Are you men or buckets of spineless jelly?

[Infracted]
    LOL So much rage. It's funny because you probably make minimum wage and barely pay any taxes at all. You just wanna whine because you hate your life.
    I would love to have nice things in game but the game is just too hard for me to earn them in.

Don't worry friend, let us go to the Blizzard store!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Your in the wrong because ... you haven't been smart

Quote Originally Posted by wdh1974 View Post
    Oh yeah, you idiot poor lazy 30 year old gamers with no job and refuse to get one, need a successful married couple to support you...PUT FUCKING OBAMA on this shit, he created it, but wont touch it, same goes for congress. fucking bullshit, i gota support people that HATE ME because im christian, or hate me because i dont want to pay for your abortions(1.3 BILLION babies aborted world wide since 1980) or hate me because i dont want to see gays married, but you dont mind letting me support your welfare ass. You love holding out your greedy worthless hands for MY MONEY! Where is your pride and self esteem? Are you men or buckets of spineless jelly?
    No one hates you because your Christian.

Paying for abortions, (even though you're very likely not in the first place) you should be jumping up and down in excitement over. That's 1.3 billion who won't be looking for handouts, and thank fuck for that. ACA has nothing to do with gay marriage, you're welcome to your views on that, but just because you don't like it just means you don't have to do it, not that you get to decide it for anyone else. Just think, there's the very real possibility that there were some gays in those aforementioned abortions!

I too assume that by "successful married couple," you mean "both work minimum wage jobs and live on the poor side of town."
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could someone please give me the wages for the guy who wrote the code to this website? I could do his job better and I don't even know html.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Cheapest plan for me is $141 a month for something I will not use.

Time to have more of my income taken as a "fine/tax" I dont have that kind of money to throw away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Could someone please give me the wages for the guy who wrote the code to this website? I could do his job better and I don't even know html.
    It cost around $500 million to make

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Cheapest plan for me is $141 a month for something I will not use.

Time to have more of my income taken as a "fine/tax" I dont have that kind of money to throw away.
    Do you also consider car insurance to be a fine/tax?

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Do you also consider car insurance to be a fine/tax?
    Its a cost of choosing to own a car. I sold a car I did not need and saved money.

Living is a choice really, so its pay for this, pay this fine, or ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a cost of choosing to own a car. I sold a car I did not need and saved money.

Living is a choice really, so its pay for this, pay this fine, or ?
    Not having insurance artificially costs other people more money because hospital bills are paid either way. Why should everyone else be "taxed" more because others don't have insurance?

10+ Year Old Account
    A car isn't much of a choice in a society that thinks mass tranist will lead to communism.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2013-10-19 at 08:24 PM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.