Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Garry's incident, incident - Developer silencing critique

Well to make this short. Totalbiscuit, a well known youtuber made a video of a indie-game as he normally does. Game sucked, so he let people know: "it sucks". Developers did not like, so they removed his youtube video from youtube.

I think TB can explain it best himself:

I find this simply disgusting that a developer will silence critique this openly, especially after giving permission to do so...

15+ Year Old Account

Gaming Critiques and Content Censorship

Hey all.

Unsure if this is exactly the best place to post this, so if it's not please move

Recently Totalbiscuit did a WTF is on a game called "Day One: Gary's Incident" and was fairly critical of it.

The company that developed the game apparently didn't like the critique and put a copyright claim on the video and had it removed. In the video I link below, you see a 'full disclosure' of the whole situation and how appalling the company that developed the game has acted.

Stuff like this angers me to no end. Here you have an honest review meant to protect the consumer against a bad game and it's removed because the company that developed the game didn't like the review they got. The implications of this are frightening. If stuff like this is allowed to continue then consumers will not be getting honest reviews of games that they are interested in.

Even if you're not a fan of Totalbiscuit I strongly suggest watching this video to learn about the kind of backdoor, shady and despicable practices that go on that often times you will never hear about. Please share this video if you agree as I feel like the message needs to get out there that this sort of behavior is unacceptable.

<SNIPPED> See Post Above for the video.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2013-10-20 at 08:55 PM.

TotalBiscuit on Fairness/Protecting Consumers from Bad Game Purchases

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0

Not sure if you have seen this, but it has quite a few interesting points. I think over the years I have really built up a respect for TotalBiscuit as a gaming critic, as his primary aim really seems to be to promote good game titles: whether they are big titles released by EA, Activision etc. or smaller indie titles. I feel that he is among some others quite objective and does not mind saying what he feels... even if it will get him a lot of dislikes on his video. And he does this (in my subjective opinion) because he cares about gaming, and of course it is his job now, but it took him some time to get to this position and that was mostly because it was his passion... You can really tell that if you have been watching his videos over the years, but anyway, ALL OF US HAVE YOUTUBERS WE PREFER, and frankly that is absolutely fine. We all have our own preferences, and praise what we like...

Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinions perhaps about the points made in this video. If a company releases a game, and you give an honest first impression about its state... and then they "remove" your video from YouTube, is this fair ?

Thanks. :-)
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

YouTube really need to revise their copyright-claim system, it's so easy to abuse it.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Hey all.

Unsure if this is exactly the best place to post this, so if it's not please move

Recently Totalbiscuit did a WTF is on a game called "Day One: Gary's Incident" and was fairly critical of it.

The company that developed the game apparently didn't like the critique and put a copyright claim on the video and had it removed. In the video I link below, you see a 'full disclosure' of the whole situation and how appalling the company that developed the game has acted.

Stuff like this angers me to no end. Here you have an honest review meant to protect the consumer against a bad game and it's removed because the company that developed the game didn't like the review they got. The implications of this are frightening. If stuff like this is allowed to continue then consumers will not be getting honest reviews of games that they are interested in.

Even if you're not a fan of Totalbiscuit I strongly suggest watching this video to learn about the kind of backdoor, shady and despicable practices that go on that often times you will never hear about. Please share this video if you agree as I feel like the message needs to get out there that this sort of behavior is unacceptable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0
    Hah beat you to it already created a thread about this (Just feel free to remove it, yours has had a lot more work put into it )

OT: This is absolutely disgusting. Well i am looking forward to seeing the Streisand effect really kick in and rightfully destroy this studio...
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-10-20 at 08:58 PM.

I just watched this. I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be to be targeted like this. Especially if your hands are tied and you can't fight back.

15+ Year Old Account
    They can probably just merge. I'm not a mod of this forum though.

15+ Year Old Account
    WORST Dev in the existence, even worse than the war Z
    Hope his game is removed ASAP of Steam

I posted on the steam forum about the game, got PERMA banned for harassing the dev
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    They can probably just merge. I'm not a mod of this forum though.
    They say the exact same, so no reason to merge them. And i already added my opinion above so...

Deleted
    Just saw it, strong stuff. Oh and screw stephane and wildgamestudio

As I understand, there's actually a lawsuit going for a similar incident.

Anyway, yeah. They need to change that policy. There's no protection under copyright law for people calling your shit shit.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    YouTube really need to revise their copyright-claim system, it's so easy to abuse it.
    Like that's going to happen any time soon.

Deleted
    I found out about this earlier today. Watched an unofficial re-upload of the original video (funny video BTW) and then it dawned on me what an absolutely horrific PR nightmare this studio have gotten themself's into. If it wasn't for this incident, I (and many others I would presume) would never have seen that video. Now however, that studio is on my (and according to the steam forums, many other's) blacklist over unserious developers.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I am not a huge fan of TotalBiscuit, but in this case he is 100% right. I don't think anyone can disagree with that
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorwave View Post
    TotalBiscuit is a TotalIdiot and a TotalCondescendingA$$hole! I used to love his video's and watch him all hte time but for quite a while now he acts as if his shit dont stink. I wouldnt take his opinion on anything or listen very much about any subject he has to say anymore. He has let the money and free access to many many games go to his head
    To each his own, I suppose. I for one, find him refreshingly honest and, if you had met him in person or seen how he interacts with others in a non-professional manner, you'd know hes stunningly humble as well. The 'asshole' bit is an act; it makes Totalbiscuit a character people want to watch; John Bane is a very influential youtuber and its for good reason.

OT: I just watched/listened to the video, and its disgusting, and am glad that he has made a video to call out the shitty Canadian developer trying to silence the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pushed the merge button.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Googolplex View Post
    I am not a huge fan of TotalBiscuit, but in this case he is 100% right. I don't think anyone can disagree with that
    Rest assured he has enough "haters" that go ludacris lenghts to smere him

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    As I understand, there's actually a lawsuit going for a similar incident.

Anyway, yeah. They need to change that policy. There's no protection under copyright law for people calling your shit shit.
    Ouch. Lawsuits like that are just going to hurt the little guy.

Look at copyright trolls like the ones going after podcasts etc. There are protections in the law for people doing reviews and critiques. Stuff like this is flat out wrong on many levels. I hope the company gets a rude awakening from this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Pushed the merge button.
    Thanks. I removed my video link to make things easier to read

Deleted
    That guy is a complete prick, I remember having an argument with the smug prat on this very forum, on the other hand he is spot on with this message and more people need to see it.