Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Mysterious death of Elisa Lam

Anyone else seen this? Guild-mate linked it to me earlier and I just remembered to watch the videos. It's fairly old (happened in Feb) but I don't remember seeing any threads on it here (search function returned nothing either).

Basically, the story goes that this woman went missing for about 2 weeks, then turned up floating naked in a water tank 15 feet high, on the roof of the hotel which was locked and had 2 alarm systems. Some sources also report that they had to cut a hole in the tank to retrieve her body, asking the question - how did she get in there? Most sources report that no drugs or alcohol was found in her system, nor was she known to be on medication but may have been bi-polar.

Anyway the video in question was supposedly moments before her disappearance containing CCTV footage from an elevator where she behaves very strangely, almost as though she's trying to hide from someone before having a spasm outside the door, then walking out of shot as the elevator door seems to malfunction. This was an eerie thing to watch.

I did a bit of fishing around but I couldn't find anything pointing to a resolution of this case (only ghost theories and copy-paste news articles from the time of discovery).

http://artbell.com/the-mysterious-de...ian-elisa-lam/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23007584
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2013-10-21 at 04:39 AM.

Looks like she took LSD or some other drug.

10+ Year Old Account
    She looks to be tripping balls, then she possibly jumps in to the water for a swim as she may have been getting hot from her bodies reaction to something like LSD. If it was LSD then being dead for a week would be more than enough time for it to break down. I think it has a half-life of about 3 hours.

The lift doors don't close because she hits the button to hold the doors open. You can see it's the last one as it doesn't stay lit up, and the doors were just beginning to close slightly when she hit the button, which causes them to open again. They closed a little time afterwards as the button simply puts the doors on a delayed timer.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Definitely on some drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The drugs don't explain much though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    She looks to be tripping balls, then she possibly jumps in to the water for a swim as she may have been getting hot from her bodies reaction to something like LSD. If it was LSD then being dead for a week would be more than enough time for it to break down. I think it has a half-life of about 3 hours.

The lift doors don't close because she hits the button to hold the doors open. You can see it's the last one as it doesn't stay lit up, and the doors were just beginning to close slightly when she hit the button, which causes them to open again. They closed a little time afterwards as the button simply puts the doors on a delayed timer.
    You know what I want to say to this right?

OT: She doesn't look normal, something is obviously wrong and drugs are a high possibility.
    Hey everyone

Sounds like a job for Sam and Dean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclejesse
    I'm not very nice and think I will stay away from the forums for a week to calm down
    (Note: This post might have been edited by Boubouille)
    My characters Bintah and Alicia

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    You know what I want to say to this right?
    Nope. If it's that it's wrong then I checked online before making that post:

Metabolism and Excretion
    Species vary greatly in their LSD metabolism rate. The
    half-life in mice (2 mg/kg i.p.) is 7 min, 130 min in cats
    (0.2 mg/kg i.v.), and 100 min in monkeys (
    M. mulatta
    )
    (0.2 mg/kg i.v.) [97]. The half-life of LSD in humans was
    found to be 175 min [89,102].
    source
    She was dead for quite a while before they found her, so I'd assume the chances of finding LSD in a post-mortem would be remote.
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    +1 Loved the reply!

Nope. If it's that it's wrong then I checked online before making that post:
    He meant, half-life 3 confirmed

Deleted
    It's not really that odd. A maintenance worker found her in the tank which indicates that he somehow also got inside the tank. The fact that the firefighters had to cut the tank open is simply logic. If you have a corpse that has been laying in water for 2 weeks you don't want to start pulling and lifting it, especially not through the upper maintenance shaft. That would get nasty pretty quick. So you drain the water and cut a hole in the side of the tank which I'm sure they did. How she got up on the roof is also explained in the news report. She used the fire escape.

What is disturbing is that people have been drinking and showering in that water for weeks
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-10-21 at 03:24 AM.

Drugs or she was experiencing mania due to bi polar schizophrenia.

She was dead for quite a while before they found her, so I'd assume the chances of finding LSD in a post-mortem would be remote.
    only problem with that is the whole metabolism thing, which is kind of affected by being dead. im sure the stuff would continue to metabolize for a bit, but surely the rate would slow down and eventually stop?
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems pretty simple..she was tripping, climbed the fire escape to the roof, jumped onto the water tank, then hopped right in?
    Or..someone killed her
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ZJeZo13A#t=509
    This guy had no issue climbing the fire escape, and the water tanks aren't exactly protected or anything

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    only problem with that is the whole metabolism thing, which is kind of affected by being dead. im sure the stuff would continue to metabolize for a bit, but surely the rate would slow down and eventually stop?
    Easily solved by her being alive for a while in the tank. And that's provided it was drugs and not a psychotic episode relating to the bi-polar thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    It's not really that odd. A maintenance worker found her in the tank which indicates that he somehow also got inside the tank. The fact that the firefighters had to cut the tank open is simply logic.
    The problem is that the truth about what happened seems to vary. Some mention that she would have had to bypass a locked door which only employees had keys for, aswell as an alarm system. Others don't mention it at all.

Where I live, it's not uncommon for fire escapes to have alarm systems to prevent abuse, but also alert the firefighters. Surely a large hotel with a rooftop fire escape would have it alarmed? Again, there's no solidarity in the reports on this, they all vary slightly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    The problem is that the truth about what happened seems to vary. Some mention that she would have had to bypass a locked door which only employees had keys for, aswell as an alarm system. Others don't mention it at all.

Where I live, it's not uncommon for fire escapes to have alarm systems to prevent abuse, but also alert the firefighters. Surely a large hotel with a rooftop fire escape would have it alarmed? Again, there's no solidarity in the reports on this, they all vary slightly.
    Still, there are plenty of ways she could have gotten up on that roof without assistance of the paranormal.
    Not sure if that was your intention when creating this thread but I felt you wanted it to have an "eerie" feeling over it? :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Still, there are plenty of ways she could have gotten up on that roof without assistance of the paranormal.
    Not sure if that was your intention when creating this thread but I felt you wanted it to have an "eerie" feeling over it? :P
    I don't believe in the paranormal. I'm more inclined to believe that someone at that hotel either directly did the deed, or somehow influenced her into taking her own life. (there are drugs that leave you open to suggestions, often referred to as mind control drugs or something). The eerie feeling I got was that it was her last moments of life caught on CCTV where she appears to be in this trance-like state freaking out in complete silence (because the camera doesn't record audio) by herself. It's weird to see someone like that.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2013-10-21 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post

I work in hotels and I live in LA.. A lot of these hotels are extremely old. Though they may have updated the insides, I could very easily see them not budgeting for a security system on the fire escapes. So it is very possible she could have used it without tripping any sort of alarm..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    There was something I left out of my first post I should've added. The water tank had a hatch to get in, but it wasn't possible to get out. It probably took her hours, or even an entire day, to finally succumb to exhaustion and drown due to it being a large tank, preventing her from being able to stand up. In that time the drugs in her system would've broken down enough to become extremely difficult to detect.
    My Brand!