Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    South Korea is one of the most prosperous nations in the world, a united Korea would mean 10 million starving norks will flood into the south seeking a better life which they are completely unequipped to deal with.
    On the other hand, SK could slash down most of their defense budget, as it would be largely superfluous if NK disappears.

I think an immediate integration wouldn't be a good idea, it would be better to create first some kind of free trade economic area with a restriction on immigration but a large amount of funding from SK.
    Since SK's defense budget is larger than the whole budget of NK, NK living standards could duplicate rather quickly. After a few years, both Koreas might be ready for unification.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=66f_1363271575

See the mighty North Korean Army and tremble in fear!

Skip to 1:45 for the funny bit.
    I am not a weapons expert, but those rifles look like the ones i used in Battlefield:1942 in the Soviet side...
    What is the funny bit, though? the guy that pulls the trigger but nothing happens?
    Maybe they are actually WWII soviet supplies...
    Last edited by mmoca165b6ca3d; 2013-10-21 at 05:40 PM.

I don't see how anything good would be gained. North Korea is supposedly very poor. Even if they got right of their leadership you'd just have millions of poor people flooding into South Korea for a better life. It would probably mess up South Korea big time. MAYBE if they put in a decent North Korean government we could see things start to smooth out in 10-20 years. I don't see why South Korea would want to rejoin with the North though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    On the other hand, SK could slash down most of their defense budget, as it would be largely superfluous if NK disappears.

I think an immediate integration wouldn't be a good idea, it would be better to create first some kind of free trade economic area with a restriction on immigration but a large amount of funding from SK.
    Since SK's defense budget is larger than the whole budget of NK, NK living standards could duplicate rather quickly. After a few years, both Koreas might be ready for unification.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not a weapons expert, but those rifles look like the ones i used in Battlefield:1942 in the Soviet side...
    What is the funny bit, though? the guy that pulls the trigger but nothing happens?
    Maybe they are actually WWII soviet supplies...
    They are using weapons that date back to the 50's, the machine gun bit is funny because they are only pretending to fire because he has not got any ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    So do you think it's better to just wait around right now? There are constant rumors that North Korea's propaganda is dissolving from the inside, through open rebellion, in a similar manner to Ghadaffi before his demise. This would be better than never, and it's not even known if North Korea can launch a nuclear missile. Otherwise, they would've somewhat carried out on their threats.
    If they make their threats true they will immediately be terminated. With their threats they can build up pressure and say "we will take as many other countries into death as we can". Also NK has very strong partners namely Russia and China. Attack NK and you start a new world war with nukes.

Best thing to do is just wait. Russia and China already said they won't help NK if they start a war. Slowly they show a change in mind. They are interested in western lifestyle just like Russia and China and they showed some German films on festivals about the DDR and how it changed and how everything got better.

China and Russia will eventually abandon North Korea, as soon as that happens it will just crumble away and be slowly absorbed into the South.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does South Korea even want a unified Korea? It would destroy their economy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Does South Korea even want a unified Korea? It would destroy their economy.
    Nope, the rest of the world wants it to happen but South Korea is happy with the current arrangement, they are it really cushy and do not want to risk it all.

Deleted

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    With all the self-loving these Kims do, I'm surprised they haven't pulled a Carlos II.
    Maybe he want, but he will probably not survive to do it, remember the political elit will loose there money/privileges/power if NK will be a western democracy

Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    What a ridiculous notion. Nobody fears a united Korea. It would be most beneficial for everyone if that were to happen.

The reason we can't invade North Korea is because if we do, they will bomb the crap out of South Korea and there is nothing we can do to stop that.
    I think South Korea fears a united Korea...

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, the rest of the world wants it to happen but South Korea is happy with the current arrangement, they are it really cushy and do not want to risk it all.
    I think if the South Koreans were to want it it would be because they either had families there or out of pity - and maybe to stop the fear of being a madman's delusion away from a bombed capital. I mean - this isnt like Germany. The split has almost lasted a full generation.

No idea what the government wants, but a lot of the South Korean people would like a united Korea (re: a collapse of the NK regime and a re-integration of its citizens) because many of them have family members who were trapped on the other side of the wall.

Combine North Korea and South Korea, and not only does Korea become a Titan in size, their military unified with North Korea's would become an incredibly powerful one, considering North Korea's army alone is already powerful and superbly trained.
    Where do you get information from? Please, share it with us. You seem to be a CIA agent or something since you have insider information.

Unified Korean means nothing besides those part of the north that still believe in it's ways would end up going Terrorist style "get it" That and a war with the north would also have repercussions for all because they are crazy have nukes and their way of life would be at threat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I guess it would depend on how they unify, if we should fear it or not. More than likely, there is nothing to fear. If North Korea just crumbles in on itself, I guess it could be possible for it to be part of South Korea again. Should that happen, it's VERY doubtful any of the leaders of NK will remain in power, meaning there is nothing to fear. All those nuclear tests/factories will just stop and peace, ignoring some possible guerrilla warfare, will happen. The unified Korea won't just adobt the way of the NK and keep being crazy with their threats, unicorns and whatnot.

Let's see what happens when China starts supporting NK, then it will get really bad for them. NK gets A LOT of food and other supplies from China at the moment. Or at least they did some time a go.
    Last edited by Santti; 2013-10-21 at 07:35 PM.

No. We really shouldn't invade and we shouldn't strike militarily. As much as I hate how the people of North Korea are treated and as badly as I feel for them, we can't save everyone. We are not the superheroes for the whole world. You'll notice that no other country is offering the North Korean people aid. They all look at America and say "well what are you going to do? You have to do something but you can't invade because then you'll be terrible."

Let other nations step up and help. Let them do what they can to help liberate an oppressed people. I don't want to see anymore of our men and women in the military die for a war we don't have to fight.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

As significant as their hapless threats of mass destruction may be, as time has proven again and again, don't you think North Korea has already crossed the line as far as reasoning is concerned. They have attacked South Korea with lethal threats such as sinking a boat, they use Japan as a hostage for missile strikes should they not get their way (although this has never been carried out), they have threatened to annihilate South Korea and America with complete and utter annihilation, their people are being starved, brainwashed under the threat of god knows what kind of horrors to keep the stability of the nation's propaganda there, and people, from what is known, Kim Jong Un is enjoying a luxurious life to himself.

Everything of the above taken into account, would certainly meet the case for extreme military intervention, yet despite this, America has never plotted with South Korea, or even other nations to plan an invasion on North Korea to liberate it. Why? At first I thought it was illogical, but then I came to a conclusion. Do you believe everyone would fear a united Korea? If North Korea and South Korea became one again, they could easily become the most powerful nation in all of Asia, and may become a significant threat if they take advantage of knowing this.

Discuss. What do you think of this whole thing?
    We shouldn't just go attacking willy nilly anyone that threatens.

Are we afraid of a unified Korea? No. We didn't attack because they are a major shipping route for China, and bring billions to the Russian government. Pissing either off would not be good for anyone on the planet. It's called diplomacy.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

10+ Year Old Account
    How exactly is a broken country like the US supposed to silence North Korea?

Either way, there is no way North Korea and South Korea are ever going to be friends. Ever. And I dont see a reason for anyone to "silence" North Korea anyway. It's not like their threats has ever really worked.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by MistsofBoredom View Post
    Where do you get information from? Please, share it with us. You seem to be a CIA agent or something since you have insider information.
    It's the internet, everyone is a little CIA agent.

Besides, why would SK suddenly want a huge population to feed and a huge area in need of development ?!
    Last edited by Molestron; 2013-10-21 at 10:11 PM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sooner or later, a worldwide conflict will center around East Asia. Likely before anything big comes from the Middle East. Mark my words.

Apart from Korea, we have consistently high tensions between the Chinese and the Japanese.