Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Tipping on Pick-Up Orders?

About 7 hours ago, I ordered a Pizza on Pick-Up order. I always leave a tip usually places I sit down and eat, since they are refilling my drink and clearing the dishes. I don't normally leave a big tip at buffets, as I do regular places like Applebees/Logans Steakhouse. But, at least 15% minimum. Now, I ordered and drove to the place to pick up my One Large Pizza, which myself and brother were sharing. The woman at the counter seemed pissy that I didn't leave at tip when I crossed out the "TIP" section of my signature of the receipt. Just her facial reactions changing so rapidly fast. Should I feel bad? I see that it's no different than me going to Samsclub, and buying a pizza there. Or at a local grocery store for baked chicken.

To note: If it were delivery to my house, I would tip $3-4 for the gas. That's not bad for a $13 large pizza. That's roughly 20% tip.
    Last edited by Jestah; 2013-10-21 at 07:56 AM.

Deleted
    eating in house - Tip
    Getting a delivery - Tip
    Going there to pick up a meal and take away you have ordered - no tip. after all they are simply taking your money, and passing you you're food. There is no service.

I don't feel bad if I don't tip at a restaurant that I got horrible service at. That being said, there is no reason to tip when you are picking up your food. What, she wants a tip for taking your money and giving you your change? Im sure every cashier would love to get tips for doing that. They at least also bag your items and sometimes put them into the buggy for you. Don't feel bad. Just another one of the self entitled who have forgotten the true meaning of a tip. Which is to reward hard workers, not something to be given to everyone because hey, they tried!

Deleted
    You did nothing wrong, to be honest if that happened to me I'd probably call out the manager, at most big chain fast food pizza places they literally put the pieces together (dough ready made, sauce ready made and toppings in tubs) and then out it on a line that rolls the pizza through a heated oven and it comes out cooked, requires minim effort to do that and put it in a box, why would anyone deserve a tip for that? Always tip at restaurants because you're sitting down, they get your order, bring it over etc. and generally take care of you

10+ Year Old Account
    I would only tip for good service or fast delivery and I will certainly not tip them for just doing their jobs. A note though I am from UK and our tipping culture is quite different from yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Well if you don't tip for a pick up order does that mean you also don't tip when you buy coffee?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    I would only tip for good service or fast delivery and I will certainly not tip them for just doing their jobs. A note though I am from UK and our tipping culture is quite different from yours.
    Fast delivery eh? I was a pizza delivery driver at one point and you know the amount of calls I got because I was driving too "fast", quite a few sometimes. You don't understand, some of us actually try our best to get there and I often had to go well over the speed limit (cops were much nicer towards us when we had a sign on top of our car) to get to a place if we wanted to make more money. The thing is, some people actually will call the store and describe the car to the person who picked up the phone, it's weird. Why would you call an employer about somebody's driving habits, most pizza delivery drivers drive naturally a bit faster as to make more money, same with taxi drivers.

There are far worse drivers on the road (trust me I know) and if I'm going down an empty road that is 35mph but I'm going 60 mph and there is nobody on it, I don't give a fuck as I'm not harming anyone.
    Hey everyone

I pretty much always pick up pizzas myself these days (it's only 5 minutes away from my house) and I never leave a tip... The people behind the counter don't bat an eye either. I'm not expected to tip the people at Subway, so why should I tip someone at Pizza Hut?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    Fast delivery eh? I was a pizza delivery driver at one point and you know the amount of calls I got because I was driving too "fast", quite a few sometimes. You don't understand, some of us actually try our best to get there and I often had to go well over the speed limit (cops were much nicer towards us when we had a sign on top of our car) to get to a place if we wanted to make more money. The thing is, some people actually will call the store and describe the car to the person who picked up the phone, it's weird. Why would you call an employer about somebody's driving habits, most pizza delivery drivers drive naturally a bit faster as to make more money, same with taxi drivers.

There are far worse drivers on the road (trust me I know) and if I'm going down an empty road that is 35mph but I'm going 60 mph and there is nobody on it, I don't give a fuck as I'm not harming anyone.
    Some but not all drivers, what I mean by fast delivery is anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes (my place is 15 minutes away walk from the Pizza place). What I wanted to say is reasonable delivery time as I will certainly not tip someone for delivering my order after 1-2 hours which I consider unreasonable considering the distance they're covering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    eating in house - Tip
    Getting a delivery - Tip
    Going there to pick up a meal and take away you have ordered - no tip. after all they are simply taking your money, and passing you you're food. There is no service.
    Same, I never really get delivery though because I'm always there in person.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    I have order a pizza for delivery once (normally i collect) and it took an hour and 30 minutes to get here, so going by my past record i would not tip

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Some but not all drivers, what I mean by fast delivery is anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes (my place is 15 minutes away walk from the Pizza place). What I wanted to say is reasonable delivery time as I will certainly not tip someone for delivering my order after 1-2 hours which I consider unreasonable considering the distance they're covering.
    The occasional screwup happens but that's usually because if something happens it's more like someone dropped a pizza and it has to be remade. Most delivery drivers understand that if they want to make more money that they are in and out the door.

Shit, I made it to places 2 and half miles away in about 3 minutes but that's a secret as to how I avoid all the cops. To this day at 19 years old I've never had a ticket and all my friends wonder how the fuck I haven't, it's because I know where cops camp etc.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-10-21 at 09:10 AM.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Some people working in service don't understand that not everything they do is tip-worthy.
    Just this Friday I ordered some takeaway for delivery. I'm told that they are a bit busy, so it might take up to 45 minutes. Alright, they told me upfront, so no big deal.

Two and a half hour and two phone calls later, I finally recieve my food. Completely cold. The guy delivering don't even apologize.
    The food cost £8.80, I pay with a tenner, and the guy start walking off. I ask him where my change is and he replies:
    "But you always tip!".

After I explained that as I always tip and tip well I expect not to get my food 2 hours late and cold to boot, he give me my change, then have the guts to call me a cheap bastard.

Simply put, some people are so used to just getting tips by default, that they don't understand that they at the bare minimum have to do some work for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    Some people working in service don't understand that not everything they do is tip-worthy.
    Just this Friday I ordered some takeaway for delivery. I'm told that they are a bit busy, so it might take up to 45 minutes. Alright, they told me upfront, so no big deal.

Two and a half hour and two phone calls later, I finally recieve my food. Completely cold. The guy delivering don't even apologize.
    The food cost £8.80, I pay with a tenner, and the guy start walking off. I ask him where my change is and he replies:
    "But you always tip!".

After I explained that as I always tip and tip well I expect not to get my food 2 hours late and cold to boot, he give me my change, then have the guts to call me a cheap bastard.

Simply put, some people are so used to just getting tips by default, that they don't understand that they at the bare minimum have to do some work for it.
    In my experience, it's not usually the delivery person's fault when it comes to an order being late but rather a mess up at the store caused by somebody else. Delivering within itself is a pretty damn easy job.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    The occasional screwup happens but that's usually because if something happens it's more like someone dropped a pizza and it has to be remade. Most delivery drivers understand that if they want to make more money that they are in and out the door.

Shit, I made it to places 2 and half miles away in about 3 minutes but that's a secret as to how I avoid all the cops. To this day at 19 years old I've never had a ticket and all my friends wonder how the fuck I haven't, it's because I know where cops camp etc.
    You advocate breaking the law for your own self gain?

Not sure that's tip-worthy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    You advocate breaking the law for your own self gain?

Not sure that's tip-worthy
    Did I break the law? Surely I'd have charges right? I wasn't even the fastest driver either somehow.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Did I break the law? Surely I'd have charges right? I wasn't even the fastest driver either somehow.
    You'd only have charges if you were caught speeding. If no-one sees you do it, it's ok? odd line of thought tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    You'd only have charges if you were caught speeding. If no-one sees you do it, it's ok? odd line of thought tbh.
    It's not really, many of us have went down that figurative road whether it be for speeding or not.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    In my experience, it's not usually the delivery person's fault when it comes to an order being late but rather a mess up at the store caused by somebody else. Delivering within itself is a pretty damn easy job.
    That may be true, but I have no way to judge why the service this time was piss poor, the simple fact was that it was. I don't find it reasonable that I should hold an investigation to find out who's fault it is that my food both cold and late, and I also don't find it reasonable to tip for it.

Driver is happy to take my tips when delivery is lightning fast, even though that is mostly down to the chefs who are quick, not his driving skills. Then he have to accept no tips when the service is shit as well.

Nah I wouldn't tip for a pick-up order. The only exception is if my meal is like $19, I'd pay with a $20 and just toss the other $1 in the tip jar cause I can't be asked to put it away and it makes me look good. I usually tip 20% if I eat in or for delivery, I wouldn't tip for pick-up though, nobody did anything to warrant a tip.