Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Your least favorite subject(s) in school?

I absolutely love history and civics, but despise math. I'm in my second year of college and I find math getting harder and harder each semester. No matter how hard I study, I can't seem to understand it, especially since we're not allowed to use calculators, or even our own notes, in class. I'm a straight A student, so I literally go full Korean/Japanese if I ever get a B on something, so when I got a C on my last math test, I was crushed. I don't want this one class to lower my GPA and hurt my chances at getting a scholarship and/or financial aid.

What class or classes do you hate? Are they affecting your life and/or education/career in a negative manner? And what do you intend to do about it (if anything)?

Deleted
    Despise math as well. I'm just no math person.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I loved them all as long as there were hot girls in the class.

Deleted
    I left school in 2000 but I remember hating maths, I had a very lazy teacher that thought the text book could teach you all you needed to know, his teaching style consisted of writing 10 questions of the board and letting us use the book to work out the formula.

Deleted
    Religious studies;

religion should not be a compulsory subject. not sure if it still is, but it was when i went to school.

English, mostly. And if we're allowed to get specific, then I also do not like Abstract Algebra. I love pretty much all the branches of math I've come across so far except for abstract algebra. Fucking permutations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I hated english class because I can't write papers for the life of me

Math here also. Was always a natural at it and never found it to be hard or anything, but im not really a desk person, so never had a reason to pursue anything related to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I left school in 2000 but I remember hating maths, I had a very lazy teacher that thought the text book could teach you all you needed to know, his teaching style consisted of writing 10 questions of the board and letting us use the book to work out the formula.

my maths teacher was like that, he just handed out some bits of paper then sat on the internet all lesson, usually ebay. he also had a coffee machine on his desk and he'd just start making coffee in the middle of the lesson, but we wasn't allowed to take in bottles of water...

Math, much more so when i got into geometry and calculus.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Text books are how I learned all of my math. I could spend five hours a week listening to my teacher or I could read the book for five minutes.
    When a text book replaces a qualified teacher you have a problem.

Classical Physics = worst subject ever.

Sports.

Then again, that's not a real subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Literature/English
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

Deleted
    I can read an example in the book faster than the teacher says it and I only need one example to fully grasp the concept.
    You are much smarter than most people then, please do not waste that intelligence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Sports.

Then again, that's not a real subject.

sports was my favorite!

2hours on friday afternoon before going home, playing either football, dodgeball, rugby, volleyball or tennis! it was usually dodgeball which was a lot of fun! my favorite time at school!

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Geology ... definitely geology, So much wasted hours on that subject, i use almost all knowledge accumulated through school except for that one subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really really hated Science in school, which is sad because I love learning about Science from most other sources.
    School just has a horrible way of going about teaching kids about Science and is nowhere near interesting enough to get people involved.

I loved history in school though. Easily my favorite class.

Text books are how I learned all of my math. I could spend five hours a week listening to my teacher or I could read the book for five minutes.
    People learn in very different ways, I'm the exact opposite and can learn from other people in minutes what I couldn't extract from a book in hours. Especially with subjects like mathematics for some reason.

I went through my entire undergraduate (maths & astrophysics dual major) without buying a single textbook. Hardly read a thing in Honours either. In fact I did a PhD in pure maths and only successfully read one book (Riemannian Geometry IIRC, whoever wrote that book managed to write in the only way I can understand). Had to read a lot of papers though, which I did a terrible job of, and I spent a lot of time trying to get my supervisor to explain things to me. He would just hand me more books and tell me to read them... probably why it didn't work out lol.

Funny story, I did that PhD for three years, had three publications with my name on them and all I needed to do was write the lit review and submit it - but I just couldn't do it so I abandoned the whole PhD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    You are much smarter than most people then, please do not waste that intelligence.
    It's not actually "smarter", people have different learning styles and what works for one doesn't work for another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

As far as the main core classes, science was always my least favorite by a mile. English and math were absurdly easy for me, and history was always interesting, but science bored me to tears. Learning about space and whatnot was interesting enough, but once it started getting down to plant components and naming all the bones and muscles in the body, I quickly lost my ability to pay attention. Involving secondary classes, I would say either foreign language classes were the worst, or music. They just never clicked with me, probably again because I had no use for learning them, and thus no interest or motive to care.