Page 1 of 2
LastLast

shadow priest 4 set question

hello im here to ask if a shadow priest has his tier 16 4 piece should he go from darkness comes light instead of solace? also he believes that crit is increasing his proc chances with solace reseting MB CD. i am calling BS but just to be sure is that possible?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...wnstarx/simple
    here is his armory so please any help would greatly be helpful

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shokbeard View Post
    hello im here to ask if a shadow priest has his tier 16 4 piece should he go from darkness comes light instead of solace? also he believes that crit is increasing his proc chances with solace reseting MB CD. i am calling BS but just to be sure is that possible?
    You will not gain any more DP's so no, its not gonna change anything (since he asks because of increased mindspike-dmg, i guess).
    Divine Insight-proccs removes the CD from Mind Blast, not Insanity.

Deleted
    The only situation I can envisage From Darkness comes light being better is in a multi dotting high movement fight. Basically any fight where you couldn't reliably get sw:insanity fully channelled. The talent Divine insight is, as far as I know, the only thing that resets your MB cooldown. This is a flat 5% chance per tick, so the more SW:P you throw around the more chance it prods. It has nothing to do with crit.

I find insanity is fine for most fights although the damage from FDCL being very good on fights like the fallen protectors or the klaxxi. you need to maintain vampiric embrace on around 3 targets to get its full effectiveness. it is then a lot of button bashing, coupled with divine insight you barely get a chance to mind flay with all the mind blast and mind spike procs.

As for the 4 set, I only see Divine Insight being more valuable. Other talents should be unaffected.
    Last edited by mmocf6aadac82a; 2013-10-30 at 01:30 AM. Reason: predictive text fails

I've found coupling FDCL with DI is a DPS loss because I end up generating more procs than I can humanly keep up with. In my experience, FDCL & ToF is a much better option, especially on both Protectors and Klaxxi.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I've found coupling FDCL with DI is a DPS loss because I end up generating more procs than I can humanly keep up with. In my experience, FDCL & ToF is a much better option, especially on both Protectors and Klaxxi.
    DI+Insanity>FDCL+ToF on Klaxxi.

10+ Year Old Account
    On Protectors also since the FDCL procs are getting out of hand.
    ToF combined with FCDL doesn't make any sense to be honest.
    Last edited by Keosen; 2013-10-30 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    ToF combined with FCDL doesn't make any sense to be honest.
    Makes perfect sense. Slight movement, huge multidot uptime, tons of FDCL procs, +50% ToF uptime.

10+ Year Old Account
    SWI seems better to combine with high ToF uptime than FCDL hence the "no sense"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    SWI seems better to combine with high ToF uptime than FCDL hence the "no sense"
    Lets look at two multidot fights: Nazgrim and Spoils. You will find Mind Spikes from FDCL do more damage than Mind Flay: Insanity in both occassions. FDCL also works a lot better during movement, and it will do very good burst damage as well. It especially synergizes well with our set bonus.

Edit: You can add Protectors to the list. Multidot VT and FDCL/Mind Spike the Anguish. You'll be competitive with a priest going for Insanity.
    Last edited by mmoc41a7fbf474; 2013-10-31 at 02:18 AM.

To make proper use of insanity and ToF you really need to be using insanity whenever you possibly can. Which can be very restrictive, especially if you're having to maintain dots on 3+ targets on Protectors and still move for abilities. Not saying its not possible, I generally run this talent set myself. But FDCL is a lot more freeing as far as movement goes.

Deleted
    I ran protectors first time today (late comer I know) and I got recommended FDCL+ToF. I had huge issues with the fight, given I only have the 30% haste breakpoint. Between having both dots on the targets and MB on CD I found myself barely having time to consume all the FDCL procs and I'm sure I overwrote few. I was wondering if this is haste issue or is it meant to happen? I think I only got one mindflay out the whole fight lol. :S

Deleted
    Not casting mind flay is usually a good thing assuming you're replacing it with a higher priority spell. Don't worry too much about using all your FDCL charges, sounds like you were essentially doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    Not casting mind flay is usually a good thing assuming you're replacing it with a higher priority spell. Don't worry too much about using all your FDCL charges, sounds like you were essentially doing it right.
    Yup. I'm pretty sure I can run protectors without a single MF cast.

To answer the OP, as you can see from the thread responses, talents depend much more on each specific fight than on your gear. This is what I run:

Immerseus: SWI, ToF, Halo, glyph of mind spike.
    Protectors: FDCL, ToF, Halo
    Norushen: SWI, DI, DS, glyph of mind spike
    Sha of Pride: FDCL, ToF, Halo
    Galakras: SWI, ToF, Halo
    Iron Juggernaut: Grab a bite, a coke and smoke while benching.
    Dark Shaman: SWI, DI, Halo
    Nazgrim: SWI, ToF, Halo
    Malkorok: SWI, DI, Halo
    Spoils: SWI, ToF, Halo
    Thok: SWI, DI, DS
    Siegecrafter: SWI, DI, Halo
    Klaaxxi: SWI, DI, Halo
    Garrosh: SWI, ToF, Halo, Glyph of mind spike

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Or roll disc and offheal

Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    DI+Insanity>FDCL+ToF on Klaxxi.
    I'll concede DI/Insanity better is if you're looking to do the encounter properly. It's an easy farm boss now, so I'm just meter cheesing most of the time. (The bosses die fast enough that I end up with a pretty high uptime on ToF.) SW:I is likely still a better option than FDCL, I just like pressing lots of fucking buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestar View Post
    Or roll disc and offheal
    If we had the need, yes. We're a 12-man group, so I just choose to bench that one: as shadow I bring squat to the table, better let a better dps class run it.

If we had the need, yes. We're a 12-man group, so I just choose to bench that one: as shadow I bring squat to the table, better let a better dps class run it.
    We actually 4 healed our first heroic kill. Similar setup though, If its a mediocre fight for shadow the hunter's are brought in for spell haste

Deleted
    FDCL works very well with lower haste, high crit build. I am using it anywhere with higher risk of having to interrupt Insanity. Especially on Malkorok HC I found myself doing good and stable dps with FDCL+ToF. DI+Insanity is capable of slightly more dps, but in larger percentage of attempts soaking, knock ups and spheres are going to destroy you. Maybe it's more safe on 25 man.

I am raiding 10man with 41.75% haste 37% crit and I am using FDCL on Protectors, Galakras, Malkorok, Spoils and Thok, and... going smite spam on Juggernaut
    Here is log from yesterdays raid if someone wants to see the result http://worldoflogs.com/reports/5bctc6rp5qtv1b5s/

Also have to say that getting 4set didn't affect my choice of talents.

Quote Originally Posted by shokbeard View Post
    Back to OP's question however.

Regarding crit increasing proc chances no. Mastery is the way to go for that (mastery ticks still have a chance to proc both DI and FDCL) However in most cases crit will equal out to a greater dps gain mainly to do with the fact that it affects more of your spells (t90 abilities, mind blast, mind spike, shadowfiend). It also provides a larger amount of SWP crits which spawn shadowy apparitions.

As far as MB cooldown resetting, its not solace/insanity, its Divine Insight doing that, Again same situation applies, both haste and mastery will increase chances for this to happen and crit will not.

There was some speculation when the t16 bonus was first revealed that it could potentially be of a higher benefit to FDCL due to the fact that the buffed Mind Spike's are actually scaling with spell power faster than either Mind Blast or Shadow Word: Death. This was amplified further when combined with ToF. However due to the fact that DI allows for considerably higher orb generation/consumption. It would likely surpass ToF in this manner.
    If you were for whatever reason going to run FDCL when using the full 4pc set bonus, It would be wise to plan ahead for when you are going to be using 3 orbs and save an FDCL proc for immediately afterwards to consume the buff. As others have mentioned though, The benefit of doing so in comparison to just running the stronger talent set and not planning ahead is likely rather poor.

I don't recall if any proper tests were run to verify all of this. As far as I was aware it was left at the status of "not really worth looking into".

Deleted
    Yup. I'm pretty sure I can run protectors without a single MF cast.

To answer the OP, as you can see from the thread responses, talents depend much more on each specific fight than on your gear. This is what I run:

Immerseus: SWI, ToF, Halo, glyph of mind spike.
    Protectors: FDCL, ToF, Halo
    Norushen: SWI, DI, DS, glyph of mind spike
    Sha of Pride: FDCL, ToF, Halo
    Galakras: SWI, ToF, Halo
    Dark Shaman: SWI, DI, Halo
    Nazgrim: SWI, ToF, Halo
    Malkorok: SWI, DI, Halo
    Spoils: SWI, ToF, Halo
    Thok: SWI, DI, DS
    Siegecrafter: SWI, DI, Halo
    Klaaxxi: SWI, DI, Halo
    Garrosh: SWI, ToF, Halo, Glyph of mind spike
    I get why you're being benched for Juggernaut tbh.. If you consider yourself a good shadowpriest there is NO fight in SoO that wont be played with insanity. Mainly because Insanity benefits from Mastery aswell as Crit ( even more so with 2pc t16. As soon as you are capable of reaching the 18215 haste gcd cap , you will want to stack as much Mastery as possible and squeeze out the maximum amount of Insanity ticks per 3Orb dp while keeping dots up to near 100% uptime. Dark Shaman is , in my opinion, a clear ToF fight since you can get it regularly throughout the fight from spawning adds and even in the Bloodlust phase off of the Wolves.
    Playing with DI on nurushen over ToF is the most ridiculously stupid thing i ever heard, since you are able to maintain up to 80% uptime on it....
    Playing sha of Pride with Fdcl is also an incredible waste of dps btw, as well on hc as on nhc.
    In general keep in mind that Insanity scales way better with gear and proper gameplay than FDCL does , and that Di is only needed on Juggernaut, Thok , klaxxi and (even there not 100% safe) Blackfuse