Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Anime] Top 5 favorite anime series

Whats yours? Im looking for a new series so a note with why you like the series would be appreciated.

1. Full Metal Panic (all 3 of em.)
    2. Angel Beats
    3. D. Gray Man
    4. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
    5. Monogatari Series (bakemonogatari, nesimonogatari, Nekomonogatari, and whenever it comes out Kizumonogatari)

1. Madoka Magica

I like the surrealism added in the witch's designs and their labyrinths as well as the music, the characters, and the overall story, and the large amount of specula you can do with it even after it's finished.

2. Fate/Zero

Dat animation, dat music, dem fight scenes, dat suffering, dat husbando, dat Caster, dat Rider.

3. Steins;Gate

Liked the characters and how they developed as well as the overall story.

4. Monogatari series

Visually interesting as well as interesting in many other departments. The characters have been so well fleshed out over the various series that it's incredibly fun to watch them all interact with one another. Plus, the development they all go through is 10++++

5. Mononoke

Ridiculously beautiful.

I kind of want to add Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012), namely the second part just for how fun it is to watch.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2013-10-24 at 02:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1- One Piece
    2- Death Note
    3- Code Geass
    4- Berserk
    5- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

#1 Attack on Titan, really epic, mix of hope and lots more despair, bunch of gore, and a lot of mystery, show keeps surprising you with how the world is more than it appears to be
    #2 Fullmetal Alchemist, interesting theme about mixing chemistry and magic, really good story, it will really get you into it.
    #3 Great Teacher Onizuka, bad art since it's old but it's the most hilarious anime i've ever watched. Biker decides to become a teacher and gets stuck with the bad student class... likes to teach them to not mess with him in very special ways you wouldn't expect.
    #4 Death Note, classic battle of minds in an unlikely scenario, gets very intense, 2nd arc isn't nearly as good though.
    #5 Code Geass, similar to death note in how it's a battle of minds/strategy, kinda fabulous thou, but it's really a good watch

I'd recommand these animes for anyone, not just true anime fans.

Naruto
    Bleach
    Fairy Tail
    SAO

Sword Art Online
    Death Note
    Naruto
    One Piece
    Fairy Tail

Only five..that's hard to do

1. D. Gray Man
    2. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    3. ToraDora
    4. Code Geass
    5. Star Driver

Only one I'd ever watch in english in Brotherhood. It's kinda hard for me to explain why I like these ones in particular. I love the journey that Allen has to undertake to find out who and what he really is. I also love the journey the Elric brother must undertake to make the mistakes of their past right again. ToraDora is just a really awesome kinda accidentally love story (and taiga is just way cute lol). I like Code Geass because its about taking control of one's own destiny and trying to create a better world for the ones you care about. I like star driver because its just over to top awesome cheesiness but it works.

I could name a few more series I've watched that I adore. There are quite a few manga that would be so epic if turned into anime but I wouldn't put it past the studios not to totally screw them up -_-
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    No Particular Order:

Clannad ~After Story~ -

The first season is amazing, but the second really hits it home. If you aren't at least holding back the tears you aren't watching it correctly.

Durarara!! -

The story goes together so intricately and masterfully and every character you just have to love.

Fate/Zero -

Probably my all time favorite. The animation, storytelling, and characters make it such a brilliant story not many things in all mediums can top this show.

Code Geass -

When I first saw this show I watched both seasons in two days. The fastest I've ever seen anything before. The show had it's faults, but once it got to the ending I had already wanted to rewatch it right from the beginning right then and there.

Shin Sekai Yori -

Fate/Zero might have an amazing story, but I think this tops it in ways. The animation is flawed for the low budget it was given, but I've never seen a story so loved as this one. The post-post apocalyptic setting, the weird world they live in, the story that never answers every question until the very end and then you are left "holy shit what the fuck" and scenes that can be so horrific you're left a bit nauseated add into an already magnificent story that can leave you on the edge of your seat as it progresses. It starts off incredibly slow, but by the last line of the first episode you know something is up.

Worth Mentioning: Baccano!, Inu x Boku SS, Madoka, Steins;Gate (would probably be my #6), and Bakemonogatari (the all time highest selling anime of the 21st century, outselling the average anime by 15-30x).
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2013-10-24 at 02:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My top 5, in no real order, because they're ALL amazing.

Stiens;gate: Stiens;gate is about Okabe Rintaro, self style "Mad Scientist" and his friends, who spend most of their time hanging around in their "Lab"(Okabe's flat). The series starts with Okabe going to a talk on time travel, given my an emminant professor, there he meets a female scientist, Makise Kurisu, and recieves a VERY unusual text message... If you watch this for no other reason, watch it for the fact they make a time machine out of a microwave and a mobile phone, yet somehow manage to make a very real credible ALMOST plausable sounding method of time travel.
    Great, relatable characters, a wonderful storyline, awesome animation... Plus one of the greatest "Oh..... FUCK!" moments in all of Anime history.

Last Exile: Great series that REALLY doesn't get the rep it deserves. About two young kids (one, Claus Valca, with a super cool name, the other Lavi Head, with a lame one ) who raise money doing delivery runs so they can upgrade their "Vanship" (small two man (kinda) steam powered flying machines) which they race in their spare time. Then one day, they take on a very... unusual delivery, which will take them to places they've only dreamed of...
    Wonderful Characters (Alex Row FTW), beautiful animation (seriously, it's some of the best ever), a REALLY gripping story... can't recommend this show enough.

The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Kyon is a normal boy, just wants to do to middle school, go his two years and get out... However, on entering his class he notices the most beautiful girl he's ever seen. Then she opens her mouth... And boldly announces that unless you're an Alien, Time Traveller or Esper, don't bother talking to her, she doesn't care. That girl is Haruhi Suzumiya and Kyon is sucked into her whirlwind of crazy, along with a few other classmates he ends up going on a series of crazy (mis)adventures, including forming their own baseball team, going on a trip to a small island where things go VERY wrong and a oddly eventful Cultural Festival. All of this because of Haruhi Suzumiya a beautiful, energetic, CRAZY girl... who is SO much more than she seems .
    Brilliant series, became an instant classic after it's first season... Sadly the second season was a fucking shambles, due to the now infamous "Endless Eight" a series of eight almost identicle episodes. Sadly this overshadowed the OTHER arc of the season, to do with Haruhi and crew filming a movie, which is probably the best arc in EITHER season. If you chose to watch this show, it really is worth pushing through Endless Eight, watching the rest of the season and the AWESOME movie.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Do I really need to explain why NGE is in my top 5? The brainfucking tale of Shinji Ikari who takes being an insular sulk to whole new levels. We first meet our emo bastard of a protagonist, shortly after he moves across the country to work with his father... at NERV, a semi governmental organisation responsible for the Evangelion, giant robots used by humans to fight the "Angels" fuckoff huge monsters seemingly bent on total destruction of humankind.
    I think to describe NGE as a Landmark series is to undersell it... probably one of the all time great anime. True it's getting on in years now and the animation is starting to look VERY dated, but the show still holds its own, because the real strength is in the mindfucker of a story, which is timeless . There is one HUGE problem with the show though... When it came time to end, there simply wasn't the money time or ability to end it the way the creator wanted to, leading to a VERY unsatisfying ending, which was later sort of patched up with a movie "End of Evangelion"
    BUT WAIT! in 2009 they released Evangelion 1.0 you can (not) advance, a rebuild of Evangelion, over four movies we will FINALLY get to see the "Real" ending that Hideaki Anno wanted all along... the only problem is the fourth and final part hasn't been released yet and so far only has the REALLY helpful "Winter 2015" as it's release date so you're looking at around 3years MINIMUM before you'll find out how it's all really supposed to end...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica While this list is in no real order... This is probably my favourite series of the 5. Madoka is an ordinary girl, she goes to an ordinary school full of other ordinary students... But one day a new girl transfers in, later that day Madoka hears a mysterious voice calling to her for help at the mall, rushing to the mysterious voices aid she meets Kyubey... a wierd rat/cat/dog looking thing who is being chased by the very same mysterious transfer student... So begins a chain of events that will change Madoka and her friends forever.
    I can't stress just how much I love this series, It's been likened to such legendary stories as the Redemption of Doctor Faustus... so that should tell you it's calibre. That said... I know exactly what'll happen, you'll watch the first episode, you'll notice the slightly crappy artwork, the LAME intro music, the bland character design and you'll think "Gallahadd you son of a bitch, what the fuck is this show?" But you'll push on, you'll watch the second episode... It's not much better... You'll probably start to hate me at this point. Then you'll watch episode three... and quite frankly by the time you've seen all of episode three, if you DON'T want to watch the whole freaking season twice, I don't think me and you will ever get on
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    1. Clannad after story
    2. Code Geass
    3. Death Note
    4. Ima, soko ni iru boku
    5. Rurouni Kenshin

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, narrowing it down to five...

One Piece
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Code Geass
    Dragon Ball Z
    Fate/Zero

Honourable Mention: Fairy Tail, Steins;Gate, Full Metal Alchemist (not Brotherhood), Death Note, Ghost in the Shell

1. Code Geass
    2. Excel Saga
    3. Gurren Lagann
    4. Death Note
    5. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Do you want a viewpoint from someone who generally doesn't like anime? My partner really likes anime and I sometimes watch it with him. I definitely see the appeal, and like most of it in theory, its just really hard for things to hold my attention. That isn't just relegated to anime though. I'm just difficult, lol. That being said, may favorites in order are:

1. Monster
    2. Avatar: The Last Airbender (does this count as anime?)
    3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    4. Mushi-Shi

I haven't seen much anime if you can guess, but there is so much out there I keep trying to find new stuff. I love discovering new stories to sift through. Any recommendations based on the ones I listed are very very welcome

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I haven't seen that many anime yet but here goes:

1. Dragonball Z (this one is mostly due to nostalgia, but every time I watch it, I still love it)
    2. Monogatari series (it has this unique style that I fell completely in love with)
    3. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (so over the top bad-assness that it's just awesome)
    4. One Piece (I like powerful idiots and One Piece is filled with them)
    5. Kyousougiga (so far only the shorts and a couple episodes are released, but I love everything about it. It's so trippy, it's amazing)

I actually had trouble choosing the 5th. Other candidates were Oreimo (I just think the whole idea is hilarious), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (the concept is amazing, though season 2 was awful. Endless eight anyone?) and lastly Tamayura (usually this is not my style, but this show relaxes me so much that I feel it deserved a spot here)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turin View Post
    Hmm, I haven't seen that many anime yet but here goes:

1. Dragonball Z (this one is mostly due to nostalgia, but every time I watch it, I still love it)
    2. Monogatari series (it has this unique style that I fell completely in love with)
    3. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (so over the top bad-assness that it's just awesome)
    4. One Piece (I like powerful idiots and One Piece is filled with them)
    5. Kyousougiga (so far only the shorts and a couple episodes are released, but I love everything about it. It's so trippy, it's amazing)

I actually had trouble choosing the 5th. Other candidates were Oreimo (I just think the whole idea is hilarious), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (the concept is amazing, though season 2 was awful. Endless eight anyone?) and lastly Tamayura (usually this is not my style, but this show relaxes me so much that I feel it deserved a spot here)
    Kyousougiga is blowing my mind, but I can't rate an anime until it's finished, and that one just started.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Kyousougiga is blowing my mind, but I can't rate an anime until it's finished, and that one just started.
    I'm rating it on the shorts though. I haven't really taken into consideration the episodes we've seen so far. So if Kyousougiga ends up disappointing, I'll just come back here and specify it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borfl View Post
    Naruto
    Bleach
    Fairy Tail
    SAO
    THE RAGE WAS SO CLOSE TO BEING UNLEASHED.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    FMA: Brotherhood
    Madoka Magica
    Princess Jellyfish
    Nichijou
    Last edited by -Ethos-; 2013-10-24 at 03:57 AM.

1. Steins;Gate

My Favourite by far, mind you I haven't watched FMA or FMA:B yet so maybe that could change. This show totally got me invested with the characters and story though, once I got to episode 3 there was no stopping.

2. Durarara

Something that appeals to me, it's not the best anime by any means but this list is personal after all, I enjoyed it.

3. Fate/Zero

Had a lot of fun watching this, its possibly getting a sequel made by the same animation company (Fate: Heavens Feel) that is an alternate version of Fate Stay/Night similar to Fate: Unlimited Blade Works which is exciting!

4. Angel Beats

Its been a while since i've watched it but I still have fond memories of it, another one of those animes you can't put down once you get into the first two episodes.

5. Sword Art Online

Hate me for it or love me for it, what matters is that I enjoyed it even if its steadily becoming one of the most over-rated anime out there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    5. Sword Art Online

Hate me for it or love me for it, what matters is that I enjoyed it even if its steadily becoming one of the most over-rated anime out there.
    This should be past tense.