Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is America really as cynical as Grand Theft Auto games portray?

Not counting the fact you are usually in control of a sociopath, is America really in resemblance to the sad, cruelly cynical satire that is portrayed in a common Grand Theft Auto game, or not even close? I have little social experience, so maybe you could answer.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Deleted
    Totally fake, hookers are much more harder to beat up!

15+ Year Old Account
    Grand Theft Auto is clearly a documentary of life in America

JK

What exactly are you refering to - any specific examples? Some of it is obviously pretty accurate, the murdery-death-mass-shooting-explosions bit is only one day a week though
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Pryre View Post
    You sir just won this thread 10/10. You play the role of a criminal not a law-abiding citizen so of course its not true.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post

JK

What exactly are you refering to - any specific examples? Some of it is obviously pretty accurate, the murdery-death-mass-shooting-explosions bit is only one day a week though
    How everything is revolved around some sexual innuendo and greed, and how every pedestrian is so rude or drive hazardously.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryre View Post
    This is quite posisbly the best post of this thread. Humor AND reality thrown into one! ^_^

Yeah, chances are they'd kick your ass if you lay a hand on them, nevermind their pimp. :P

Also OP - you got to remember that GTAV is a massive concentrated shot of all of America's problems cranked to 11 and delivered in one massive punch. It does quietly ignore all the good that there is too as, well, that's not what the game is about - is it? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post

JK

Maybe on national television, local news are still kinda Grand Theft Autoish at least here in South Florida, to the point where im finding some funny like man who got into a name calling argument got pissed broke bottle and cut the other man and fled the scene ON A BICYCLE. This week Ive heard of at least 1 violent crime per day in the news.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    How everything is revolved around some sexual innuendo and greed, and how every pedestrian is so rude or drive hazardously.
    Idk about sexual innuendo, greed is a definite yes, pedestrians being rude depend on the location, ad driving recklessly HUGE YES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

no? what the hell is wrong with you.

Your thinking of russia.
    Last edited by skatblast; 2013-10-24 at 05:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing portrayed in video games, books, comics, tv shows, or movies is as real as real life. Even reality TV is specifically designed to be as dramatic as possible. GTA is no different in this regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pacman was based on a true story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow I knew, by the title of the thread, who the OP was.

To answer the question: of course not. GTA is just a fictional game and is not representative of anything.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Pacman was based on a true story.
    Was Ms.Pacman a prostitute?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Maybe on national television, local news are still kinda Grand Theft Autoish at least here in South Florida, to the point where im finding some funny like man who got into a name calling argument got pissed broke bottle and cut the other man and fled the scene ON A BICYCLE. This week Ive heard of at least 1 violent crime per day in the news.
    But Florida is a special case isn't it? I mean just look at this https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan
    or this http://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaMan

"Florida Man Screamed "Fuck Them Horses" Before Punching Police Horse"
    "Florida Man Accused of Drive-By Dog Poop Attack"
    "Florida Man Attacks Stranger's Car With Sandwich"
    "Illegal Butt Injections Land Florida Man in Jail"
    "Florida Man Rides Elephant Into Wedding "
    Last edited by mmoc40f44cec44; 2013-10-24 at 05:38 PM.

Most of GTA is satire -- a great big joke.

The rest of GTA is entertainment.

None of it is in any way representative of America.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    its all joke after joke

could use specific examples to what you mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    You might find some nuggets of real America here and there. But 99% of the game is a satire of America. As in, greatly exaggerated for comedic effect.

Like when they were trying to get out of that one place and being attacked by the feds. The agent said it was the corrupt branch of the feds attacking. The retired bank robber guy replied that he thought that his agent buddy was the corrupt branch. The agent replied that he was only in the semi-corrupt branch of the agency.

While there might actually more truth in that conversation than most Americans would be comfortable with? Its nowhere near so bad that they are launching full scale assaults on public places in broad daylight.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    But Florida is a special case isn't it? I mean just look at this https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan
    or this http://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaMan

"Florida Man Screamed "Fuck Them Horses" Before Punching Police Horse"
    "Florida Man Accused of Drive-By Dog Poop Attack"
    "Florida Man Attacks Stranger's Car With Sandwich"
    "Illegal Butt Injections Land Florida Man in Jail"
    "Florida Man Rides Elephant Into Wedding "
    Being a native Floridian now living in Cleveland, this has to be the greatest time-sink I have ever seen. Thank you so much for this Vathdar now I will no longer be bored at work.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Except for the lack of airbags and mandatory seatbelts, it's practically a carbon copy of America. I have to admit, sometimes after I play for a few hours, I forget which one is real and find myself wantonly shooting pedestrians in my neighborhood with the minigun I somehow manage to keep entirely concealed in my pocket along with 17 grenades, a rocket launcher, a nightstick and a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wafffles View Post
    Except for the lack of airbags and mandatory seatbelts, it's practically a carbon copy of America. I have to admit, sometimes after I play for a few hours, I forget which one is real and find myself wantonly shooting pedestrians in my neighborhood with the minigun I somehow manage to keep entirely concealed in my pocket along with 17 grenades, a rocket launcher, a nightstick and a cell phone.
    It's amazing how far GTA has come and there is still no two weapon limit. Like where is the protagonist or online character keeping all these weapons? It's the one thing that still breaks the true realism in my opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    Being a native Floridian now living in Cleveland, this has to be the greatest time-sink I have ever seen. Thank you so much for this Vathdar now I will no longer be bored at work.
    Don't thank me, thank Jesse Cox and WoWCrendor, they mentioned it ages ago on their podcast. :P
    Here's an animated short they did about Florida Man! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-lA-S9qkA

"C'mon Man, You Know I Can't Answer That," Says Florida Man After Police Ask Him Why He Has Weed in His Beard "
    God, this stuff always cracks me up.
    Last edited by mmoc40f44cec44; 2013-10-24 at 06:03 PM.