Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So i've applied for a job..

And got an email back asking for more additional information (cover letter lol). Is this a good sign? You think i have chances since they did not reject me instantly?

Deleted
    It is standard to include a cover letter with all job applications.

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    And got an email back asking for more additional information (cover letter lol). Is this a good sign? You think i have chances since they did not reject me instantly?
    that.... or they found your information so hillarious they wanted more.
    probably posters all over the office with it. and they are making farting sounds when reading out your name

It could mean anything. Some people might think you're automatically disqualified because you forgot something so basic. Others might think it's a good thing because they're interested.

Good luck finding that job. Best wishes.

It's not a particularly good sign, per se; but it's far from a bad one. Clearly they have enough interest in you to request a cover letter (probably to detail more about yourself), but at the same time a cover letter may have been required and you never submitted one, so now they're tracking you down like a school teacher, asking you to provide it for them.

Even though, if so, it at least means they're interested in you enough to do it.

The only way you can know if they're truly interested in you or not is to type up the cover letter, send it in, and see how they react.

Deleted
    No. It isn't a good sign that they have had to ask you to provide them with something that is almost always required when applying for a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting anything back is good sign imo. Most jobs I applied to received no response at all. You also have to do a cover letter, yes I know in reality its completely pointless as it only provides the same information that is on your resume, but the no dick puffed up douches that make up the HR field need to have their asses tongued to give 2 shits about you.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    It is standard to include a cover letter with all job applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    No. It isn't a good sign that they have had to ask you to provide them with something that is almost always required when applying for a job.
    Very very few applications I've filed out have asked for a cover letter.

Deleted
    unless you get an invitation to an interview then don't expect anything from them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    depends on the place you are applying too. As most people just send a CV in to employers you should always have a covering letter with it

Deleted
    I imagine it varies from company to company, country to country, but it's important here in the UK.

Your cover letter is what tells them who you are outside of your academic and professional experience and accolades. Most companies that have you fill in forms here will still request it.

My businesses all request cover letters and the people that don't include one are binned outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Getting anything back is good sign imo. Most jobs I applied to received no response at all. You also have to do a cover letter, yes I know in reality its completely pointless as it only provides the same information that is on your resume, but the no dick puffed up douches that make up the HR field need to have their asses tongued to give 2 shits about you.
    Actually CL is nothing like a resume at all. It is supposed to be persuasive and serve as an elevator pitch for that specific job.

For the most part CLs are never a "plus," but they are necessary and if you really suck at writing they ding you from the application process.

Deleted
    They rarely ask but you are expected to provide one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balazzar View Post
    Actually CL is nothing like a resume at all. It is supposed to be persuasive and serve as an elevator pitch for that specific job.

For the most part CLs are never a "plus," but they are necessary and if you really suck at writing they ding you from the application process.
    My cover letter was the only thing that ever set me apart from others in the beginning. I left school at 14 and had no formal qualifications.

There's a lot more to a person than grades and work experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am the GM of a restaurant, and when I receive resumes, they are very rarely accompanied by a cover letter -- nor do I require one.

Another point to consider is that if I am not interested in you, you won't hear back from me at all.

Deleted
    If they ask you for more info it's both good and bad, it's bad in the sense that you didn't include it right away, but atleast where I live if you'd forget something like that you'd probably get a no straight away if that was missing. So it's good in the sense that if they actually bother to ask you for it, they must have some kind of interest in you. Atleast that's if it's anything like it is here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, to the people saying it's expected even if they don't ask, on online applications (he said he got an email so it's quite possible he filled out an app online), there isn't anywhere to add it to the application. those things are stingy in only letting you do exactly what they want (going so far as to not let you put a damn dollar sign anywhere where it's relevant).

If cover letter wasn't required it's good news. If it was, it still not bad, atleast they are interested.

What's a cover letter exactly?

Deleted
    Also, to the people saying it's expected even if they don't ask, on online applications (he said he got an email so it's quite possible he filled out an app online), there isn't anywhere to add it to the application. those things are stingy in only letting you do exactly what they want (going so far as to not let you put a damn dollar sign anywhere where it's relevant).

most online applications i've done here will ask you to upload both a CV and cover letter, after you spend 20mins answering their bloody questions.

in the UK at least cover letter is pretty standard for most applications.

to the op, them asking is probably a good think, it means they haven't totally disregarded your application because of that.