Deleted

Seeking information for young adult education aboard.

Hey fellow gamers!

This seems to be the best and most reliable place for seeking answers, you guys and girls have always been a great help for when I needed it in the past! Now I have another big-ish... question. In fact I'll admit I have my knickers in a rather big twist!

I'm stuck living at home at a job I cannot do for a long time, every part of my mind and soul is against it. It's a dead end job and wouldn't lead to anything better later in life, doesn't really teach me any life skills. I currently work as a sterile service technician full time in the UK.
    I've been getting a little depressed and feeling as if I should do something with my life, and not just have it come to an end here so to speak.

I'm fond of my new idea of taking Danish Language courses over in Denmark (Copenhagen? Maybe somewhere close to the capital) for a couple of months.
    The only real problem is I still live at home and I am weighted down by heavy bills. I have about £350 spare after I'm done... sometimes £400 if I am lucky and that's without spending a penny. My parents would love me to go out and explore and do as I will and they will try to support me as much as possible, however if I was to leave my job my parents would have to find a much cheaper place to live therefor I am left without many ideas about how to survive on no decent income for about a year?

The plan is to find a short/long term accommodation or stay with a friend (obviously have to pay my way there to be fair) whilst I study in Denmark. I'll be able to save up money for taking the course over in Denmark and maybe enough to support myself and pay any additional bills there. I just have no idea what benefits I am entitled to or if I could get any grants? My education isn't to good to be totally honest, the best I got in my GCSE was;

English - E
    English Literature - D
    Art and Design - D
    Mathematics - F (or just a pass) not my strong point at all! :/

I had a lot of problems at a young age mostly stress and angst due to personal reasons.

My reasons for wanting to do this is because I eventually would like to live in Denmark and be able to speak the language perfectly. I don't think it's right to enter a country unless you speak the language, it'll also give you more of a chance of getting a job out there too!

There it is... my plan of life, sorta!
    Any help is greatly appreciated, I welcome any advice people can give

Deleted
    Not from Denmark, but i'd check with them to see if they have any sort of courses to gain equivalents - because E/D and F grades wouldn't be enough to enter education there i assume.

(Uni at least, i'm almost certain they do low level education aimed to getting your grades up)

As for money, you should have around 6 months worth of expenses saved - just my opinion, it's better safe than sorry especially in a foreign country.

Learning the language is a great start, i'm currently struggling with Swedish myself; but you speak of debt's, it's grounds to be barred entry or a visa in Denmark just like other nations - is it large?

Deleted
    With those results you would be lucky to get a job as a bin man, redo then at college and take it from there.

Deleted
    hello friend, i am from denmark and i can see some sense in your ideer. If you want to go through with your plan of going to Copenhagen, first try to contact some danish students in the area as the best way to get a cheap place to live(it might be a bit hard) is through other students. Even though you are not a danish citizen, there are still programs that gives financial help to people who wants to come to the country and study.

The danish education system is built in a way that makes your grade acceptable since as long as you have graduated from a high school or college(you have graduated from a place higher then 9th grade) since alot of education places dont care about how good your grades are.

Denmark is a great place to go study if you have the time and surplus in your life

Deleted
    How old are you now? (if you don't mind me asking)

Consider going to college and doing resits and then take it from there. Once you're up to speed, sit either A-levels or a more specific course at the college and then you can worry about studying a degree in Denmark.

Honestly without even GCSEs you're going to find it hard to get into any sort of higher-education here or abroad.

Deleted
    @FurryFang Thank you for the helpful advice! I have a couple of friends over in Denmark who I know well enough and trust who I think may be able to house me for as long as I need be. I very much love the fact the education system is like that, that gives people a somewhat second chance like myself, after all it's just a piece of paper that says "you can do this and that" haha.

@Valarius I am currently 23! I don't have enough time to study in college as of now, I am currently in an 8 hour job where shifts change from 8 in the morning to 16:00 and the other 13:00 to 21:00 so I'm very limited. I'm all out of annual leave for this year not including Christmas, I'm only allowed 29 days off per year. I'm also not really looking into "higher education" all I want is to take a course where I will learn the Danish Language which is a very big start and then be able to search for a job there, I'm not looking for the best of the best either, just enough to get by and live happily and be able to visit my friends and family back in the UK. However thank you for your input.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taters91 View Post
    @FurryFang Thank you for the helpful advice! I have a couple of friends over in Denmark who I know well enough and trust who I think may be able to house me for as long as I need be. I very much love the fact the education system is like that, that gives people a somewhat second chance like myself, after all it's just a piece of paper that says "you can do this and that" haha.

@Valarius I am currently 23! I don't have enough time to study in college as of now, I am currently in an 8 hour job where shifts change from 8 in the morning to 16:00 and the other 13:00 to 21:00 so I'm very limited. I'm all out of annual leave for this year not including Christmas, I'm only allowed 29 days off per year. I'm also not really looking into "higher education" all I want is to take a course where I will learn the Danish Language which is a very big start and then be able to search for a job there, I'm not looking for the best of the best either, just enough to get by and live happily and be able to visit my friends and family back in the UK. However thank you for your input.
    Mate, you need years to learn danish, not months. If you stay here for a few months and then go back to UK you will forget it as soon as you step into the plane on the way home.
    And its a fairly useless language :s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    Mate, you need years to learn danish, not months. If you stay here for a few months and then go back to UK you will forget it as soon as you step into the plane on the way home.
    And its a fairly useless language :s
    Fairly uesless is just your personal opinion, not fact. How is it useless when your required to learn it to be able to work in Denmark? I tell you what would be useless is going over there and job searching not knowing a scooby about the language.

Hmm seems strange to me, this fixation on Denmark. You have a lady friend out there or something?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/atlas/dutch/who.html That's how many countries speak Dutch. Unless you have some sort of interest in foreign languages then it is pointless to learn. You could of course become an interpretor but you really need to understand language which your GCSE results suggest you don't.

edit: sorry meant danish but regardless point still stands, cba change the link
    Last edited by ultimar235; 2013-10-29 at 11:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    Hmm seems strange to me, this fixation on Denmark. You have a lady friend out there or something?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/atlas/dutch/who.html That's how many countries speak Dutch. Unless you have some sort of interest in foreign languages then it is pointless to learn. You could of course become an interpretor but you really need to understand language which your GCSE results suggest you don't.

edit: sorry meant danish but regardless point still stands, cba change the link
    As people actually living in Denmark and friends tell me GCSE's does not matter over there, that's already been pointed out. That's like me saying whats everyones fixation on gaming? So just because hardly any other country speaks Danish people think I shouldn't want to learn the language and live there? How pathetic.